• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Being called up by England after 3 Premier League starts

Firstly I think it's a good thing that there are options in and out of the squad. Rewind a year and all hopes were being pinned on Delph ffs. Now however the talk is of those not making squads etc. The competitive quality of these players is another debate.
I would look at 4 3 3.
....................Hart
Walker Stones Cahil Bertrand
...................dier................
..........Wilshire. Ali
....vardy. Kane. Well beck

In your opinion. IIRC Roy has played Milner every time he's had the opportunity. Mr. Versatile will almost certainly be in the squad.

I'm not stating what I think Hodgson will do, I'm stating what I think should happen.

If we're going on what I think Hodgson will do, then as YB says all the Liverpool players are going no matter their fitness or suitability to the desired formation, and Walcott's going no matter what Rashford does between now and then.

Traditionally we only take 7 defenders and have a centre-back (Stones? Jones? Can Dier play there?) cover right-back to allow an extra midfielder/attacker.

I think Woy will want more pace, although maybe that's Lingard who I've never seen play.

I'm also sure he'll take Sturridge who's done next to nothing on the international stage in his career and who seems to have been largely injured the last few seasons.

He also loves Liverpool players so Sturridge, Milner and Lallana can continue the Anfield tradition of underperforming on the world stage.

What's happened to Fabian Delph?

Sturridge makes me feel uncomfortable. He's absolutely brilliant at football, but plays for the Bin Dippers. Which means I'm sad every time he scores a goal for his club, and also have that nagging feeling that he'll never do it for England.

Hope I'm wrong.

I don't "get" Sturridge at all. I can't remember a proven player who flicks between looking sensationally clinical and woefully inept so frequently. He's another one much like Walcott too who talks constantly of playing in a forward role and not out wide, but whose game just isn't strong enough to lead the line.

I can't see past Kane leading the line. He's one hell of a player, and easily the best centre forward England have. Everyone else is playing to support him. Rooney's inclusion, recovery pending, is inevitable as England's captain and Sterling, I'd imagine, will take the other slot to add pace and dynamism.

I don't "get" Sturridge at all. I can't remember a proven player who flicks between looking sensationally clinical and woefully inept so frequently. He's another one much like Walcott too who talks constantly of playing in a forward role and not out wide, but whose game just isn't strong enough to lead the line.

I can't see past Kane leading the line. He's one hell of a player, and easily the best centre forward England have. Everyone else is playing to support him. Rooney's inclusion, recovery pending, is inevitable as England's captain and Sterling, I'd imagine, will take the other slot to add pace and dynamism.

Saw this great little snippet on Kane yesterday. Some player now...

For me a fit Sturridge is our best striker by a considerable measure, for that reason you have to take a chance and take him.

I'm not stating what I think Hodgson will do, I'm stating what I think should happen.

If we're going on what I think Hodgson will do, then as YB says all the Liverpool players are going no matter their fitness or suitability to the desired formation, and Walcott's going no matter what Rashford does between now and then.

As it happens, a lot of your picks make a lot of sense. I was just pointing out that I can't see Roy doing that, and let's face it, he knows a huge amount more than you or I.

Saw this great little snippet on Kane yesterday. Some player now...

i think a bit of love for Alan Shearer is due. 50 goals is 66 is a phenomenal record. i'm not sure whether that's from the start of his career but even if it's not it's really impressive.

Sturridge makes me feel uncomfortable. He's absolutely brilliant at football, but plays for the Bin Dippers. Which means I'm sad every time he scores a goal for his club, and also have that nagging feeling that he'll never do it for England.

Hope I'm wrong.

I think it's a contractual obligation for them to be crap for England.

That would be my front line too, with Vardy coming off the bench if needed.

Rooney gets load of stick but I think he'll be great supporting Kane. He's such an intelligent player who can adapt to playing second fiddle. The better the players around him, the better he looks.

Kane is a phenomenon. He just keeps on proving people wrong.

i think a bit of love for Alan Shearer is due. 50 goals is 66 is a phenomenal record. i'm not sure whether that's from the start of his career but even if it's not it's really impressive.

That's not from the start of his career - despite a hattrick on debut his record with Southampton was pretty modest. England not qualifying for the 94 World Cup - in part because of Shearer's injury - is one of the great footballing what ifs. He was one of the few greats to have graced the Premiership in his peak and his record with Blackburn (Blackburn!) is amazing.

That's not from the start of his career - despite a hattrick on debut his record with Southampton was pretty modest. England not qualifying for the 94 World Cup - in part because of Shearer's injury - is one of the great footballing what ifs. He was one of the few greats to have graced the Premiership in his peak and his record with Blackburn (Blackburn!) is amazing.

30+ goals three seasons in a row at Blackburn! Shearer really was immense. And easy to forget that he lost a good year or so of his peak to injury in the late 1990s. Additionally, that injury quite probably hastened his decline so maybe cost us two years of Shearer at his best. But even when 'all' he had was the ability to back his big arse in to opposition defenders he was still a beast.

This handy little graphic puts him in an historical context...

30+ goals three seasons in a row at Blackburn! Shearer really was immense. And easy to forget that he lost a good year or so of his peak to injury in the late 1990s. Additionally, that injury quite probably hastened his decline so maybe cost us two years of Shearer at his best. But even when 'all' he had was the ability to back his big arse in to opposition defenders he was still a beast.

This handy little graphic puts him in an historical context...

Hang on, Jimmy Greaves played in Italy:stunned:

Also, who the hell was Gordon Hodgson and how come I've never heard of him?

I think Greaves had one season at Inter between Chelsea and Spurs.
Not many brits went to Italy in those days, can only think of Greaves, John Charles , Gerry Hitchins and Dennis Law

Thanks. This is very educational.

Greaves and Law seemed to have gone quite early in their career - I associated them far more with the clubs they returned to.

Wiki reckons this is the list of English players who have played in Serie A

Charles Adcock – Padova, Triestina – 1948–50
Joe Baker – Torino – 1961–62
David Beckham – Milan – 2008–10
Luther Blissett – Milan – 1983–84
Jay Bothroyd – Perugia – 2003–04
Franz Carr – Reggiana – 1996–97
Nathaniel Chalobah – Napoli - 2015-16
Ashley Cole – Roma – 2014–15
Gordon Cowans – Bari – 1985–86
Daniele Dichio – Lecce – 1997–98
Paul Elliott – Pisa – 1987–89