• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Blues boss Brown not fearing for his future despite defeat to Fleetwood

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown insists he is not fearing for his future – despite this afternoon’s 2-1 defeat against Fleetwood Town.

More...

These interviews are always a bit odd.

I guess he needs to say something, but he talks as if the players don't know we are sliding down the table and losing matches.

He fears the sack one minute and then a few games later when we have lost them all he suddenly feels he doesn't fear for his future.

I don't know what RM said to him during the week, but he seemed to make no difference to the performance and set-up today. Looked more lost than ever.

If he truly belueves this then he is either deluded or has been given firm assurances that he will remain manager whatever happens to the end of the season.

It's the N......... in him coming out again - he is arrogant and thinks he is untouchable. Everyone around him is letting him down except Ron on whom he depends on for his income.

If he truly belueves this then he is either deluded or has been given firm assurances that he will remain manager whatever happens to the end of the season.

My only hope is that Ron's firm assurances to him are as worthless as Ron's assurances to us about Fossetts Farm.

Maybe PB has paid his £1.99 for his 'Place on the Board' - a la Football Manager, so he's unsackable.

But in all seriousness am I not correct in my understanding that he does in fact have shares in SUFC, which RM has to buy back an an inflated value, and then pay his contract out to get rid? So not far off the jest really...

I fear we are stuck with Phil whatever the outcome.

Surely you just stick him on gardening leave and carry on paying his contract and move someone up from within the club to caretake until PB's contract expires.

Brown not going anywhere, only place we are going is basement division and doldrums again, just lets not hope it is not complete free fall with our expensive wage bill....could crucify us in league 2!

And Brown was not hiding his role in the run of poor results.

“I’m fully to blame for what’s going on,” said the Southend boss.

very good Phil - but WHAT IS GOING ON ????? ?????

Maybe PB has paid his £1.99 for his 'Place on the Board' - a la Football Manager, so he's unsackable.

But in all seriousness am I not correct in my understanding that he does in fact have shares in SUFC, which RM has to buy back an an inflated value, and then pay his contract out to get rid? So not far off the jest really...

I fear we are stuck with Phil whatever the outcome.

Maybe in jest but you've hit the nail on the head I feel

Only PB (and maybe Fleetwood) could have been happy after 55 minutes, but I can assure you, I wasn't with that tosh I was watching!!

^
This.

If you really feel happy that the first 55 minutes was up to standard at this level, playing at home, then that says everything about how low the manager's expectations are of a team that, let's face it, is better than the league position we are in, on paper.

I Think you lot need to lighted up yes we are in trouble but we still have 18 games to go.YES 18 GAMES LOL.. I still think Brown is the man to get as out of this poor run hopefully we can get a couple of new signings in next week to improve the team...Brown is on 98 wins while manager at Southend and I fully expect him to reach 100 wins over the next few games.
You all seen to thing changing manager is the answer to our poor run but it has not done Sunderland,Birmingham,Swansea much good has it...

I Think you lot need to lighted up yes we are in trouble but we still have 18 games to go.YES 18 GAMES LOL.. I still think Brown is the man to get as out of this poor run hopefully we can get a couple of new signings in next week to improve the team...Brown is on 98 wins while manager at Southend and I fully expect him to reach 100 wins over the next few games.
You all seen to thing changing manager is the answer to our poor run but it has not done Sunderland,Birmingham,Swansea much good has it...

Troll - if you think Brown is the man, then you should have a place in the cabinet as your perceptive and decison-making abilities would fit right in.

Not really trolling, is he 'sherif'. Just putting a view across.

IMHO, we need 20 points as a minimum, so 6 wins and 2 draws from 18 games. In theory, that shouldn't be an issue with our playing staff.

However, the issue is whether PB or someone else would be better placed to get these points and having witnessed yesterday's set-up and performance, I really do believe someone fresh, even only as a caretaker, to shake things up a bit, would be better placed to get the required tally.

The issues between players and PB just seems too ingrained now and he's trying some odd things to change it around.

A big thing about Brownie, which probably more of us admire than care to admit is his passion. This can lead to him getting into difficulties both with man management on and off the pitch and of course with us supporters whose Marmity views strengthen. His passion, energy and drive for the game, along with a half decent ego lead him towards his liking for the media. That personality and passion can be both a godsend and a disaster. Its not as if there are long periods of calm with our Manager. Its not like he is a Wenger, who of course he falsely accused of not shaking his hand, during the season he was chalking up more heavy misconduct fines than you could shake a stick at.
What he did at Hull was exceptional and he has done very well at the highest level, taking on the best. However my worry is also about the other side of that coin and personality. On his track record our Phil is not that good at halting slides to relegation. His teams seem to go on long spells of great results or terrible ones the other way , with not a lot of steady state in between.
He was sacked at Derby after just 7 months after a calamitous slide to 19th. His Hull reign ended after one win in 15 led to relegation, He was unable to save Preston from relegation and at the start of the following season began well but then collapsed from 2nd to 12th resulting in another sacking as Phil struggled to turn it around ( once hampered by striker injuries ) So once on a down slope Phil struggles, perhaps he can bring some of the talents of his great mentor for 6 years at least, Big Sam, who is a master at helping the down trodden
So Phils personality and mind set doers seem to play a lot into this very up or down pattern, where he really struggles to turn things around once they are on the slide. He will need an awful lot of support which he is getting from Ron at the moment, from us even more, certainly from the players not pulling their weight and more importantly urgently from the transfer market to boost energy , momentum and team spirit. Lets hope the so called plethora of 12 to 14 players we are still thinking about ( as usual ) turns out to offer some genuine improvements, otherwise on Phils past form, we are down

Back