• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Blues striker Ranger fit to face Portsmouth - despite his 'dodgy' ankles

Oddly enough we're scored 4 less than Shrews who are top but only 2 more than Bury who are bottom.

It's the 'against' column that 's worrying.

None of our forwards are in good form because they don't get the ball anywhere near quick enough and they don't get it to feet. It's all about the quality of the service and it's been poor

Not arguing with that point. We are not playing to their strengths but Ranger was great at holding the ball up last season. He doesn't appear to have any strength now

Obviously penalties don't count towards goals scored! :dim:
Of course they do but they can falsely inflate the stats in favour of the scorer to make his record look more impressive than it would be otherwise.

Of course they do but they can falsely inflate the stats in favour of the scorer to make his record look more impressive than it would be otherwise.

Falsely?
They still went in though so does it really matter? our "goals for" at the end of the season isn't reduced?

Real bug-bear of mine this!

I agree, a goal's a goal and that's what wins games.
But we were talking about the lack of goals scored by our four main strikers, none of whom have a high strike rate. To compensate for this, we need to see a significant number of goals from midfielders and defenders too. The point I was making was that no one should expect our current strike force to suddenly start scoring prolifically. They just do not have that potential. As regards penalty goals, the designated taker should expect to score every time, but that does not make him a natural goalscorer in open play.

Dodgy ankles
Dodgy knees
Dodgy hamstrings
Dodgy tendons
Dodgy groins
Dodgy shoulders -oh he's not with us anymore
Dodgy shooting boots
Dodgy refs
Dodgy decisions

Is there anything about our club that's not dodgy ?
You forgot the pitch.

Falsely?
They still went in though so does it really matter? our "goals for" at the end of the season isn't reduced?

Real bug-bear of mine this![/QUOTE
people use the stat to judge how good a striker is, to be knowing how many are penalties is important, and the below illustrates why
based purely in stats how would you rank these strikers, ?
striker A scores 25, 10 from penalties.
striker B scores 23- all from open play.
striker C scores 16 - all from open play

Falsely?

people use the stat to judge how good a striker is, to be knowing how many are penalties is important, and the below illustrates why

Striker A scores more goals, if he is good at taking penalties so what! he still has to score them.

Striker B might score all his goals from within the 6 yard box, shall we exclude them as they are easy to put away?

So how do you suggest Southend get a striker who has consistently scored tons of goals every year? The only way we could afford someone like that would be to get someone way down the league ladder and how many of these players turn out to do the same when they step up! Very very few.

So how do you suggest Southend get a striker who has consistently scored tons of goals every year? The only way we could afford someone like that would be to get someone way down the league ladder and how many of these players turn out to do the same when they step up! Very very few.
Overall, our scouting setup needs to be more effective. The current lazy reliance on 'names' from higher divisions, many injury prone and long past their best is short termism in the extreme and will leave us in a weak position before too long. On the specific question of strikers we should be looking for a couple who can put the ball in the net, whether from league or non league football or further afield regardless. Granted the latter options would be a gamble but signing Fortune (and I appreciate his other qualities but he is not a goalscorer), Robinson and Ranger was not even a gamble, it was never ever going to lead to a goal feast on their past records. The same with Cox to a lesser extent. To expect him to replicate the goalscoring form of his youth after six or seven years when he could hardly buy a goal was unrealistic. Although last season he exceeded expectations we have seen this season a reversion to what has been tne norm. Obviously, there is no easy answer, but we have done it in the past with some success. It just appears that the present management is too reliant on the old boys club. The signing of Ba seemed a welcome breath of fresh air, but he needs some meaningful game time to see if he has the goods.

We need to adopt a shoot on sight policy. So many times we have the ballin or around the box and simply hold on to it or lose possession and come under attack.

If you see a chance to shoot and can't see another option then shoot. Hit the target and work the keeper.

I'm sure I saw a stat somewhere that suggested we had most shots in the league. That shocked me at the time.

Falsely?

should we not also stat the amount of penalties won or goals involved in as well?

should we not also stat the amount of penalties won or goals involved in as well?

Striker A scores more goals, if he is good at taking penalties so what! he still has to score them.

Striker B might score all his goals from within the 6 yard box, shall we exclude them as they are easy to put away?
Interesting, I would go for striker B all day long. No one else might score the goals he scored, but striker A’s side would still have at least 10 ( minimum) penalties to take. In choosing Stiker A you are effectively stating that you have no confidence in anyone else in the team scoring a minimum of 3 penalties from 10 or more attempts.

or put it another way if they all played for the same team and penalty duty was given to striker B the stats might read
a 15 open play
B 33 23 open play ,10 penalties
C 16 open okay

would you still rank B the highest or the lowest? The above demonstrates why including penalties is important as the stat is always used to compare strikers, and knowing the penalty numbers makes it a lot more meaningful .

At no point an I suggesting that a pen or 6 yard dap in is less important than a 30 yard screamer. In fact i have continually moaned that if we shoot more Often when given the opportunity rather than shooting after that extra touch /pass then we might end up with more deflected or own goals. A goal is a goal

Interesting, I would go for striker B all day long. No one else might score the goals he scored, but striker A’s side would still have at least 10 ( minimum) penalties to take. In choosing Stiker A you are effectively stating that you have no confidence in anyone else in the team scoring a minimum of 3 penalties from 10 or more attempts.

or put it another way if they all played for the same team and penalty duty was given to striker B the stats might read
a 15 open play
B 33 23 open play ,10 penalties
C 16 open okay

would you still rank B the highest or the lowest? The above demonstrates why including penalties is important as the stat is always used to compare strikers, and knowing the penalty numbers makes it a lot more meaningful .

At no point an I suggesting that a pen or 6 yard dap in is less important than a 30 yard screamer. In fact i have continually moaned that if we shoot more Often when given the opportunity rather than shooting after that extra touch /pass then we might end up with more deflected or own goals. A goal is a goal

In the second example it would be B, he has scored more and as you say a goal is a goal. I personally think it doesn't matter too much who scores them; i would be happy to have 2 strikers on 10 and the rest of team chipping in. At the end of the day if we grab a playoff place and go up, does it really matter?

Back