• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brit Tennis Shocker !!!!

BLUEBLOOD

Moderator of Moderators
I don't confess to knowing much about tennis but ....
Our Mixed Doubles duo of Bogdanovich and South have just knocked out the top seeds :eek: :eek: :eek:

I was watching that match. I think they deserved it as well. I was very impressed with both players but especially South.

Not knowing a great deal about either, my first impression was that South would be weak. How wrong I was! She was playing some fantastic, aggressive, intelligent shots. Her serve was pretty much consistent throughout.

You know what will happen now don't you?! They will lose in the next round.

Bogdanovich?

British?

What, because he's got a funny surname? Give it a rest. The Royal family's real surname is Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha (they changed it to "Windsor" at around the time of WWI, as we were fighting the Hun and it didn't do that our own King had a German surname), but I haven't seen anyone questioning their Britishness recently.

:flamer:

What, because he's got a funny surname? Give it a rest. The Royal family's real surname is Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha (they changed it to "Windsor" at around the time of WWI, as we were fighting the Hun and it didn't do that our own King had a German surname), but I haven't seen anyone questioning their Britishness recently.

Yeah, fair point Matt. It was just an easy gag, nothing malicious...

Wooooooooooooooo ITS LEFTY TIME ON SZ AGAIN!!! :guns: :cool:

So is Elena Baltacha not British then as well?
Shall we move on to footballers...?!

Don't start on cricketers! An England XI (past and present) who would not be considered British by a huge section of people on these boards, as they were born overseas:

Andrew Strauss
Wilf Slack
Allan Lamb
Kevin Pietersen
Tony Greig
Roland Butcher
Geraint Jones
Philip deFreitas
Andrew Caddick
Devon Malcolm
Norman Cowans

Can I just check - does being against a bit of lazy bigotry makes me a lefty?

I think bigotry's a bit harsh. A bigot is a prejudiced person who is intolerant of opinions, lifestyles, or identities differing from his or her own. I'm none of those things. I was merely questioning whether or not they were British, because Bogdanovitch isn't your typical British surname.

Individuals obviously have the right to represent a country they feel is their homeland should they feel strong enough connections to it - take Eastwood and Wales for example. I just get a bit tired of hearing about sportsmen representing countries in recent years where they obviously feel they have a better chance of getting higher up the pecking order and better sponsorship possibilities because of thats country's ineptness compared to their birth place - Rusedski, De Silva, Pieterson, Trott.

It's a fine line between representing the country you feel a strong affinity with and furthering your career these days, thats all - take Eastwood and Wales for example.

Having never met any of these people I may be totally wide of the mark, but I just wonder where fighting for your place and national pride went worldwide, not just here in the U.K.

The lazy part in your reply was spot on though...

Don't start on cricketers! An England XI (past and present) who would not be considered British by a huge section of people on these boards, as they were born overseas:

Andrew Strauss
Wilf Slack
Allan Lamb
Kevin Pietersen
Tony Greig
Roland Butcher
Geraint Jones
Philip deFreitas
Andrew Caddick
Devon Malcolm
Norman Cowans

You left out two of the greatest, Ted Dexter born in Milan & Colin Cowdrey born in Bangalore.

You left out two of the greatest, Ted Dexter born in Milan & Colin Cowdrey born in Bangalore.

Yes, but both really bona fide 'Englishmen'. I imagine born wheer they were owing to the diplomatic/military service duties of their parents. I also believe Douglas Jardine was born in India. On that basis, I might have included Derek Pringle:eek: born in Kenya.

Yes, but both really bona fide 'Englishmen'. I imagine born wheer they were owing to the diplomatic/military service duties of their parents. I also believe Douglas Jardine was born in India. On that basis, I might have included Derek Pringle:eek: born in Kenya.

Indeed, my post was a bit tongue in cheek. Douglas Jardine would qualify on any list just for the way he detested Australians.

Oddly Derek Pringle's father, Donald captained the East Africa team in the 1975 World Cup in England. There's a useless piece of trivia.:D

Indeed, my post was a bit tongue in cheek. Douglas Jardine would qualify on any list just for the way he detested Australians.

Oddly Derek Pringle's father, Donald captained the East Africa team in the 1975 World Cup in England. There's a useless piece of trivia.:D

I did forget Nasser Hussain born in Madras and Robin Smith (South Africa). I think these would replace Slack and Butcher in my line-up.

As for England Football, I can think of (fill in the gaps, if you can):

GK -
RB -
CD - Terry Butcher (Singapore)
CD -
LB - Tony Dorigo (Australia)
RM - John Salako (Nigeria)
CM - Owen Hargreaves (Canada)
CM - Colin Viljoen (South Africa)
LM - John Barnes (Jamaica)
For - Luther Blissett (Jamaica)
For - Cyrille Regis (French Guiana)

I think Craig Johnston (born in South Africa, but an Aussie) made a squad once but didn't play.

Manager - Graham Failure (Mars)

Last edited:
I did forget Nasser Hussain born in Madras and Robin Smith (South Africa). I think these would replace Slack and Butcher in my line-up.

As for England Football, I can think of (fill in the gaps, if you can):

GK -
RB -
CD - Terry Butcher (Singapore)
CD -
LB - Tony Dorigo (Australia)
RM - John Salako (Nigeria)
CM - Owen Hargreaves (Canada)
CM -
LM - John Barnes (Jamaica)
For - Luther Blissett (Jamaica)
For - Cyrille Regis (French Guiana)

I think Craig Johnston (born in South Africa, but an Aussie) made a squad once but didn't play.

Manager - Graham Failure (Mars)

Colin Viljoen - South Africa played for Ipswich
I have an idea that Viv Anderson was born in Jamaica

Viv Anderson was definitely English born. Did Viljoen get a game, I remember him being in a squad once?

EDIT: Just Wiki'd Viljoen, and yes two England caps - CM for him then.

I'm surprised about Viv Anderson, was sure about Viljoen as that is trivia question that comes up a lot. Did Bert Trautmann play for England?

Back