• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

so who has all this money when they take over, not many Bolton ex players have to much money these days:unsure:

Surely Ricketts still has a fair bit in the bank. He was getting paid by three clubs to do nothing at one stage.

This latest line in 'Brown is going' began just before the weekend. On Monday we play league leaders, Burton and Phil Brown's only job is to prepare his squad for the game, not to put out denials or otherwise. There is absolutely no firm evidence that he will be offered the job, so why deny it?

Rumours tend to start either when Brown is negotiating a new contract or we are on TV and his ego needs preening.

Mind you, Judas' last match was a TV one.

Yeah, hence why Adam Barrett is always lined with a move to Exeter.

Although he grew up a W*** H** fan and was a trainee at Orient, I think he made his league debut for Plymouth - scoring his first goal against us. After a spell at Mansfield he then moved to Bristol Rovers where he was for a few years so he's actually got quite a few links in that part of the country.

Hi, Bolton fan here. I wouldn't be surprised to see Phil Brown approached for the Bolton job, the rumour has been doing the rounds ever since the Holdsworth consortium was linked with us and a well respected journalist seems to think we'll go in for Brownie too.

Lennon is under massive pressure now, especially with the Holdsworth consortium striking a deal to take over the club. It will cost money of course to sack Lennon (rumoured to be 600k) and of course if we do try and poach Brownie, you'd be due compensation too.

Not a great deal is known about the Holdsworth consortium and who is financing these plans, a number of the investors have signed agreements whereby their identity will remain unknown.

Brownie would be a very popular choice if he came to Bolton, I'm not too fussed to be honest and it doesn't always work out with poaching ex players as managers as we found out with Owen Coyle.

I'll keep you guys up to date from the North West if I find any gossip about your manager. :smile:

Hi, Bolton fan here. I wouldn't be surprised to see Phil Brown approached for the Bolton job, the rumour has been doing the rounds ever since the Holdsworth consortium was linked with us and a well respected journalist seems to think we'll go in for Brownie too.

Lennon is under massive pressure now, especially with the Holdsworth consortium striking a deal to take over the club. It will cost money of course to sack Lennon (rumoured to be 600k) and of course if we do try and poach Brownie, you'd be due compensation too.

Not a great deal is known about the Holdsworth consortium and who is financing these plans, a number of the investors have signed agreements whereby their identity will remain unknown.

Brownie would be a very popular choice if he came to Bolton, I'm not too fussed to be honest and it doesn't always work out with poaching ex players as managers as we found out with Owen Coyle.

I'll keep you guys up to date from the North West if I find any gossip about your manager. :smile:

He is not going to Bolton. Confirmed today by our Chairman, and someone I know that talks to Phil Brown.

...and from the Daily Express ;

"[h=3]DEAN HOLDSWORTH saved Bolton from the scrapheap on Monday and is now ready to turn to old coach Phil Brown to bring back the good times.

The former Bolton striker will be named chairman and owner once the Football League approve the £7.5million sale of the club to Holdsworth's Sport Shield consortium.[/h]And he is widely expected to turn to Brown, now at Southend but remembered fondly by Wanderers fans from his days as assistant to Colin Todd and Sam Allardyce in the Premier League.

Southend chairman Ron Martin insisted yesterday he would not allow Brown to speak with the Championship strugglers if they make an official approach.
But it is understood Holdsworth is prepared to wait until the summer and give current boss Neil Lennon the chance to try to save the club.

I think Mr Brown is waiting for Randy Lerner to come calling when Remi Garde throws in the hat :winking:

However if we are to progress when Phil has left these muddy shores I would prefer a manager just as high profile as him to take us forward, not a lower league one

...and from the Daily Express ;

Southend chairman Ron Martin insisted yesterday he would not allow Brown to speak with the Championship strugglers if they make an official approach.

'Championship strugglers' ?. Great journalism in that quote!.

He was up to all sorts of nonsense during that final completely winding our lot up...even celebrating prematurely....jigging around.....complete bell end got everything he deserved that day.

Nothing any other manager wouldn't do. It's all gamesmanship and he was extremely dignified in defeat.

Anyhow, most people had a really poor opinion of Brown (including me) before he took over.

I disagree. Phil Brown may have been high-profile but he played most of his football in the lower divisions and clearly knew when required how to run 'a tight ship'. I hope Phil stays and takes us into the Championship and further. Bolton is not hugely bigger than Southend. If Phil goes, and I think he will be more wary of the Bolton situation than many believe, I do think we should go for another manager that has experience in both the upper and lower levels of the game. I am puzzled about the hostility towards Gareth Ainsworth. Any fool can write cheques, but it is quite a different matter to build a good team with a tiny budget. In that sense, Ainsworths should be applauded, not rubbished. By the way, and more locally, the guy managing Braintree is a real managerial talent and I hope Ron Martin is keeping tabs on him.
I think Mr Brown is waiting for Randy Lerner to come calling when Remi Garde throws in the hat :winking:

However if we are to progress when Phil has left these muddy shores I would prefer a manager just as high profile as him to take us forward, not a lower league one

I disagree. Phil Brown may have been high-profile but he played most of his football in the lower divisions and clearly knew when required how to run 'a tight ship'. I hope Phil stays and takes us into the Championship and further. Bolton is not hugely bigger than Southend. If Phil goes, and I think he will be more wary of the Bolton situation than many believe, I do think we should go for another manager that has experience in both the upper and lower levels of the game. I am puzzled about the hostility towards Gareth Ainsworth. Any fool can write cheques, but it is quite a different matter to build a good team with a tiny budget. In that sense, Ainsworths should be applauded, not rubbished. By the way, and more locally, the guy managing Braintree is a real managerial talent and I hope Ron Martin is keeping tabs on him.

What season did we finish 7th in the premiership I must have missed that one. PB himself has played in a Bolton side that have won at places like Anfield and Highbury. He does have a great affection for the club and their fans.

It may not be until the summer (officially) but they will be making an approach for him.

There's always a chance of Brown going to Bolton! Either because Bolton will be relegated and we will still be playing in League 1 or we are promoted and play them in the Championship. Either way Brown will have to go to Bolton at some point - as our manager.

Or...he wont be going to Bolton because they get relegated and we get promoted, or they survive and we miss out in the play-offs.

There's always a chance of Brown going to Bolton! Either because Bolton will be relegated and we will still be playing in League 1 or we are promoted and play them in the Championship. Either way Brown will have to go to Bolton at some point - as our manager.

Or...he wont be going to Bolton because they get relegated and we get promoted, or they survive and we miss out in the play-offs.

That's for that gpd. I doubt anyone else had worked that out for themselves so it was worth mentioning.:winking:

Anyone who thinks Bolton aren't a significantly bigger club than Southend at this point in time is deluded. I can definitely see why Brown would go there if approached (and that's aside from his past history with the club). If they came in for him and he left I'd feel no animosity towards PB, he got us out of L2 and would be leaving Southend United in a far better state on the field than the one he inherited.

If a 4-sided Fossetts Farm is ever built then with our vast catchment area we could certainly become as big a club as Bolton, if not slightly bigger. But that's the key word isn't it, IF.....and let's face facts it's not something you'd put your house on happening is it! Brown won't stay here unless things move significantly forward on the stadium front and I don't blame him, he's done a fine job and probably deserves another crack at the Championship now.

But will go absolutely nowhere until summer at least. So we park it until then..

Back