• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

442 with Lenny holding with the wing backs playing narrow thus allowing young Jack to get forward to support TWO forwards,Wingers do they still exist then?

I assume you mean he has to play normal central midfield but just be the more attacking of the two, rather than actually sit behind the two forward, but he will still need to be doing plenty of defensive work getting back etc.

Doesn't sound terrible but taking out the likes of Timlin will leave us too exposed and tie Leonard to the back four too much for my liking.

I assume you mean he has to play normal central midfield but just be the more attacking of the two, rather than actually sit behind the two forward, but he will still need to be doing plenty of defensive work getting back etc.

Doesn't sound terrible but taking out the likes of Timlin will leave us too exposed and tie Leonard to the back four too much for my liking.

It's an attacking line up IMO,We need Jack on the ball to ping it down the channels and his pace plus the pace of the forwards may pay dividends,We need to put the opposition defenders under pressure by conceding throw's corners possible penalties and potential red cards and we can only achieve this is with plenty of pace.

Certainly not Williams.

I would be interested in seeing Payne but "just behind them" means what exactly ? What formation is that 4-3-3 with no wingers? Or are you expecting one central midfielder to have to do all the donkey work in a 442 ?

If Payne plays for me it has to be wide as I cant see how he fits in centrally.

Up front Id give the new guy a run with Eastwood as he is the one able to play decent balls through for him, but that still leaves a massive issue of not being able to win the ball up front enough.

I thought williams looks superb, quick agile and keen to get in amongst it, wouldnt mind seeing him and the new guy uptop aslong as were getting balls put through them 2 are the ones that are going to score for me, fred back in the day would of smashed it but hes now too slow for running onto balls and beating the last defender, I personally Think fred should be used as a 60th minute sub

It's an attacking line up IMO,We need Jack on the ball to ping it down the channels and his pace plus the pace of the forwards may pay dividends,We need to put the opposition defenders under pressure by conceding throw's corners possible penalties and potential red cards and we can only achieve this is with plenty of pace.

Sounds very much like Sturrocks percentage ball system there.

I certainly want more creativity in the midfield and full backs, I think thats where we are falling short no matter who is up front.

Just pumping balls forward in the hope a quick player can get on the end of something isnt a tactic I want to revert to too often, although as an option its nice to have.

I thought williams looks superb, quick agile and keen to get in amongst it, wouldnt mind seeing him and the new guy uptop aslong as were getting balls put through them 2 are the ones that are going to score for me, fred back in the day would of smashed it but hes now too slow for running onto balls and beating the last defender, I personally Think fred should be used as a 60th minute sub

Didnt Williams only play a short cameo and fluff the one chance he had?

The coaches see him every day and they have chosen to play him in the Under 18's and not the first team. They clearly dont see that he is ready.

I know that PB felt unwell at Bristol on Friday , so sat in the stands.
I just wonder whether the lure of the Sky cameras may just 'cure' him tonight ??

Notts Forest have tried to save their play off push by ditching Billy Davies, maybe Ron will do the same if we lost tonight.

As much as he has his many flaws, Ron seems to be pretty fair when appointing/sacking managers even if his timing with Sturrock was slightly off. Would hope he has learned from this and will not get rid of Brown if we lose or draw the Oxford game. We are not Nottingham Forest, we are a very skint league two team, sitting ninth in the table, with a manager that we were all raving about less than 3 months ago. Yes, we are on a awful run but this is more to do with our misfiring forwards than Browns managerial ability. Every team goes on bad runs where they dont play as well. We have had chances to win our last 2 games 1-0, without even looking like conceding and if we had taken these, everybody would be applauding our 15 clean sheets and solid back 5. Would certainly like to see the same manager for the start of next season but agree that he will hopefully change things up tonight. Would like to see us play the Liverpool way and see how it works at this level. 3 centre backs, Hurst and Straker as wing backs allowing Payne to play behind the two strikers.

As much as he has his many flaws, Ron seems to be pretty fair when appointing/sacking managers even if his timing with Sturrock was slightly off. Would hope he has learned from this and will not get rid of Brown if we lose or draw the Oxford game. We are not Nottingham Forest, we are a very skint league two team, sitting ninth in the table, with a manager that we were all raving about less than 3 months ago. Yes, we are on a awful run but this is more to do with our misfiring forwards than Browns managerial ability. Every team goes on bad runs where they dont play as well. We have had chances to win our last 2 games 1-0, without even looking like conceding and if we had taken these, everybody would be applauding our 15 clean sheets and solid back 5. Would certainly like to see the same manager for the start of next season but agree that he will hopefully change things up tonight. Would like to see us play the Liverpool way and see how it works at this level. 3 centre backs, Hurst and Straker as wing backs allowing Payne to play behind the two strikers.

Thing is its not like we are playing well and our forwards are missing loads of chances, the team isnt providing any and when Corr was playing as a lone striker then he wasnt getting the chance to get in the box enough.

If its not the manager who is accountable for that I am not sure who is. You even go to suggest a different system to the one he has played. Even if it was just the strikers at fault, he is the one picking them.

I certainly dont think we should be sacking him before its impossible for us to be in the play-offs but he was brought in to do what Sturrock failed to do, and at moment he isnt delivering. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Billy Davies has just been sacked by Forest after a run of 7 games without a win. Just shows that RM doesn't have that much of an itchy trigger finger compared to others.

Though how long he can sit back and allow this awful run to continue, then I just don't know.

3 points tonight and the mood could totally change as that would equate to a 4 game unbeaten run - success and failure really are so close to each other.

I agree that Brown is not entirely blameless for this run as its up to him to send the lads out playing entertaining football, but 12 games ago we were on a great unbeaten run and playing the kind of football we all wanted to see. I just think talk of sacking him with a quarter of the season left is ridiculous. Our forwards are frustrating me far more than Brown atm, he played freddy and Barnard up front together on Friday which is what we all wanted to see and sad to say that two of my favourite ever southend players just looked lazy and way off the pace. The reason we should keep Brown is that I can't think of any manager in world football that could make our current forwards prolific, so how is that his fault? Hopefully after his first full season in charge and if given pre season to bring in some hungry, younger strikers I am confident with our midfield and another winger or two we will be right up there next season. If not, then completely agree that questions should be asked about Browns ability.

Is the team playing well and providing those "lazy" forwards with the ball in positions they can do something with ?

No it isn't.

Even if you want to take the 'lazy' option and just blame the forwards then Brown picked them, still his responsibility.

Is the team playing well and providing those "lazy" forwards with the ball in positions they can do something with ?

You seem to be obsessed with our midfield's inability to create chances for our forwards.

Most Midfielder's have little time on the ball yet our lot rarely have any target to aim for because the forwards whoever plays cannot run the channels as they lack any pace,Our midfield have a second or two to make the forward pass which is compounded by the simple fact they cannot lob it over the top and asking the wing backs to get up and down the pitch is exceedingly hard graft.The Liverpool midfield packed with internationals were pinging it over the top for their quick strikers against united which worked superbly for them.

Our midfield IMO are sitting targets because they cannot play any out ball whatsoever which is fundamental in any football team.

You seem to be obsessed with our midfield's inability to create chances for our forwards.

Most Midfielder's have little time on the ball yet our lot rarely have any target to aim for because the forwards whoever plays cannot run the channels as they lack any pace,Our midfield have a second or two to make the forward pass which is compounded by the simple fact they cannot lob it over the top and asking the wing backs to get up and down the pitch is exceedingly hard graft.The Liverpool midfield packed with internationals were pinging it over the top for their quick strikers against united which worked superbly for them.

Our midfield IMO are sitting targets because they cannot play any out ball whatsoever which is fundamental in any football team.

You seem to be obsessed with ignoring how the team plays and blaming everything on the strikers.

I do agree though, if our midfield had Suaraz and Strurridge in front of them we would win more games.

Anyway now with the new lad in the team hopefully we can start "lobbing it over the top" a lot more rather than playing any sort of decent passing and building up an attack.

You seem to be obsessed with ignoring how the team plays and blaming everything on the strikers.

I do agree though, if our midfield had Suaraz and Strurridge in front of them we would win more games.

Whenever any team has a poor run which coincides with lack of goals the blame is either midfield or attack or both,Phil for the majority of this bad run has opted for the lone target then he was forced into playing Fred and Lee who IMO are way past their best,So three forwards who all lack pace and struggle to score even though IMO we have capable midfielder's.

I know who I blame.

Whenever any team has a poor run which coincides with lack of goals the blame is either midfield or attack or both,Phil for the majority of this bad run has opted for the lone target then he was forced into playing Fred and Lee who IMO are way past their best,So three forwards who all lack pace and struggle to score even though IMO we have capable midfielder's.

I know who I blame.

We have very good midfielders, but you cant honestly tell me that they are playing well? None of the midfield are playing as well as they were individually or as a unit.

Earlier in the season we were outplaying teams in the midfield with the same forwards we have now. The team as a whole are not playing like they were.

But hey, blaming one position is easier isnt it, same as blaming Bentley every time we lose a game.

The strikers are certainly part of the problem but just getting a pacy striker we can hoof it over the top for is not going to be a solve all answer.

Phil is now in the sights of fans as he stumbles from draw or defeat and he ain't got the answer,His talking of a good game on TV or radio smacks at the poo we have witnessed in recent weeks and I feel his time here is fast running out.

I still cannot fathom out why Phil constantly failed to alter the forward line instead relying on the old school who simply are incapable of scoring,His own folly will come back and haunt him.

I like the bloke yet has he improved things here..Nah not really.
Mrs Blue
Your points are valid and put in a manner that describes your feelings without being irrelevant
Nice post for a woman. Oooooh come on you know I am joking :blush:

The Liverpool players aren't just playing forward balls. A lot of these are precision passes.

How did it work when we had just Barry Corr upfront for the majority of the season then?

Im sorry mrsblue but after reading lots of comments it appears you lack the understanding of basic things in football.

Back