• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should the"Friendly" go ahead?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maldon Shrimper

First XI⭐
I no this game was organised with good intentions but in view of the recent court case should it be cancelled? In certain areas feelings are running high .

Absolutely should be cancelled or played behind closed doors.

Daft idea. Can't believe anyone at either club thought it was a good idea despite the best intentions for it to be a fund raiser

Very noble intentions, but far, far, far too near recent events. I don't see the point of 'behind closed doors' either given the original intentions of the match. Call it off.

No way should our fans be encouraged to go, there will be pockets of wrong uns looking to take revenge and it'll be some random hat and scarf type that is in the wrong place at the wrong time. As suggested above, home fans only and let them raise money if they want. That is, if it's not cancelled.

No way should our fans be encouraged to go, there will be pockets of wrong uns looking to take revenge and it'll be some random hat and scarf type that is in the wrong place at the wrong time. As suggested above, home fans only and let them raise money if they want. That is, if it's not cancelled.
Couldn't agree more cancel this circus ... and if Cambridge want to raise money I encourage them to do so, but please don't expect me to fund the rehab of a football hooligan who 'on this occasion' came out second . If anything let's raise money for the poor innocent children and wives who have now been left without working partners due to their big egos and crazy high jinks ..... they also need support and funds... because it's the children and babies who will be suffering now for the next 3 years or so

Couldn't agree more cancel this circus ... and if Cambridge want to raise money I encourage them to do so, but please don't expect me to fund the rehab of a football hooligan who 'on this occasion' came out second . If anything let's raise money for the poor innocent children and wives who have now been left without working partners due to their big egos and crazy high jinks ..... they also need support and funds... because it's the children and babies who will be suffering now for the next 3 years or so

Nobody is asking you to fund anything, it's your choice to help someone, or not. Everyone involved in this sorry case is a loser it seems.

It probably won't get read or have an influence on this but I emailed the club my concerns about this friendly.

It's pure stupidity on both parts! Wouldn't it make sense for Cambridge to try and attract a big prem club to raise money rather than us. This is not going to end well!

This game was meant to happen last summer but we cancelled to play Newcastle instead. I believe Cambridge weren't to happy.

So now both clubs have felt obliged to rearrange it this summer, even though we have known about the timing of the court case for some time. Some of the scenes outside court certainly won't help matters but it would be a lot worse if they had been found not guilty.

Sadly our club and fans have had some shocking press because of the way it was reported nationally and in their local rag. I had the missfortune to meet the Cambridge saga louts who seemed to have been conveniently forgotten during this whole sorry saga. For that reason I wont be going.

By all means by a ticket if you want to help Simon Dobbin but please, I urge you, don't attend.

Last edited:
There will always be some fans making up Chinese whispers. It will be along the lines of a Southend mob coming up for trouble because Cambridge stormed the Spread and their mates got prison. There wont be no Southend mob going up there for trouble, but there could well be a nasty Cambridge mob waiting to ambush any Southend fans silly enough to go to this match. Seeing Simon Dobbin on the ITV news tonight was so sad. I wouldn't blame Cambridge fans for being angry. It's too close to the court case, emotions are running high, it's too raw. Cambridge should play anyone but us.

Cambridge bought down two coaches of their lads in 2015 provoked by someone's 200 free business cards from Vista Print which blew up over social media following the daggers game the week before, (first we take your wife, then we take your life was it?)

Now they've been provoked and it's at their home stadium with the park next door with the underpasses? Na you're alright lads. Not risking my health for a preseason friendly! Ludicrous decision by both parties

Cancelling this game would be a PR nightmare !

Are we really going to let a small group of pretend Southend fans turn us in to rivals with Cambridge ?

We should all be standing together with Cambridge against those low life's and prove that the actions of few won't define our club !

Cancelling this game would be a PR nightmare !

Are we really going to let a small group of pretend Southend fans turn us in to rivals with Cambridge ?

We should all be standing together with Cambridge against those low life's and prove that the actions of few won't define our club !

You're obviously forgetting the Cambridge "lads" who were well up for a scrap that day in March 2015 who now have a reason to seek some measure of retribution

You're obviously forgetting the Cambridge "lads" who were well up for a scrap that day in March 2015 who now have a reason to seek some measure of retribution

These will probably be something like the Cambridge "lads" who attacked a group of Chelsea hats and scarves, families, women....some years back, then boasted about how they'd "done" the mighty Chelsea. Needless to say, retribution was dished out at the first opportunity.

Back