• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should the"Friendly" go ahead?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Cancelling this game would be a PR nightmare !

Are we really going to let a small group of pretend Southend fans turn us in to rivals with Cambridge ?

We should all be standing together with Cambridge against those low life's and prove that the actions of few won't define our club !

Time and a place, in my view.

A statement from our club calling it off and saying it's a mark of respect to those affected, would possibly unite the clubs more than playing the match, as if nothing has happened or changed.

It may take a while to re-build the bridge, but there is no hurry to do this. They aren't in the same division as us, so there is time.

Wouldn't say it should be called off, would say it should never have been organised in the first place.

Ridiculous idea to begin with, all for raising money for him but doubt their fans will be queuing at the gates to see the mighty Southend United anyway.

I doubt many, if any Southend fans will go anyway. And I'm sure there'll be a significant police presence. Football-wise it will be a good test for us.

It's a difficult position for the club. The match was organised by both clubs to show that the game should be just about football and help raise money for Simon Dobbin. The whole situation is very tragic. I feel that regardless of any recent sensitivities about sentences etc, cancelling the match now will only add to animosity between the two sets of supporters. It should go ahead so we can recognise that we all agree it was a tragic event and try to move on. Our supporters don't have to go.

In a few months time, yes, I think it could be a good idea, but at the moment there is a lot of anger and vitriol, not least from the families involved.

This needs to heal for a while, IMHO.

In a few months time, yes, I think it could be a good idea, but at the moment there is a lot of anger and vitriol, not least from the families involved.

This needs to heal for a while, IMHO.

Well as mentioned above, this was supposed to happen last year but got binned for Newcastle. I don't think it would have been so bad last year but doing it this summer, so close to the sentencing is ludicrous

I think it could have been good if Corr had still been there. He could have added peacemaker to his long list of achievements.

Well as mentioned above, this was supposed to happen last year but got binned for Newcastle. I don't think it would have been so bad last year but doing it this summer, so close to the sentencing is ludicrous

Agreed. I'm all for trying to play the game at some point and make it for donations, as well, but now is not the time.

Last edited:
I'm not going to the game due to work etc however if the game goes ahead and no/not many southend fans turn up surely that's gonna look even worse on us.

should be called off, if supporters go there will be an element of idiots in Cambridge who will be looking for a revenge attack

but Southend fans should also take this on board if we play them again in the league of a cup match, this will not go away for a long long time, so you will always have this hanging over this fixture

I'm not going to the game due to work etc however if the game goes ahead and no/not many southend fans turn up surely that's gonna look even worse on us.

Good point. It'll look like we don't want to support Simon Dodds. I'll be there as it's a nice local match for me.

Being sensible though, I won't be walking around town on my own with colours showing, nor hanging around after the game. In fact, these are exactly the same precautions that I'll be taking at the upcoming Gillingham match.

If it had been a club where away supporters can be taken closer to the ground then I am sure more would have considered supporting it. The fact you have to walk across some quite wide open spaces for a little way means that the police will need to be extra vigilant.

Big no ! Can't believe police have passed this game !
Real footy fans could get hurt !

It probably won't get read or have an influence on this but I emailed the club my concerns about this friendly.

It's pure stupidity on both parts! Wouldn't it make sense for Cambridge to try and attract a big prem club to raise money rather than us. This is not going to end well!

I just thought I would give this a bump.

Did you here back from the club?.. Currently nearly 87% of Shrimperzone members says this fixture shouldn't happen. & only 6 people said that they would attend.

Surely if it does happen, it should be behind a closed door game.

I just thought I would give this a bump.

Did you here back from the club?.. Currently nearly 87% of Shrimperzone members says this fixture shouldn't happen. & only 6 people said that they would attend.

Surely if it does happen, it should be behind a closed door game.

Nope, heard absolutely nothing back from them which is normally the case when I've emailed them in the past.

Back