• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Piggott had the lowest work rate of any player on the pitch last night, 2 goals aside. Some say he doesn't look interested. It seems to me he was trying, but he's just not that athletic. Players like him need to be scoring every week, or will very quickly become the target of supporters - who ask what value they are adding.

Why doesn't the ref just book Deegan in the tunnel before the start of every match? He picks up a yellow every game! How many for a suspension?

Deegan has currently accumulated 4 yellows. One more for a one match ban.

Piggott had the lowest work rate of any player on the pitch last night, 2 goals aside. Some say he doesn't look interested. It seems to me he was trying, but he's just not that athletic. Players like him need to be scoring every week, or will very quickly become the target of supporters - who ask what value they are adding.

Yes anything less than 46 goals a season is not good enough for some.

I'm not the greatest fan of the "work hard all game" ethic - Sir F Eastwood being the best recent example of a player who strolled around the pitch in between putting the ball in the net. Where as Paynter would run willy-nilly to no effect. Still it seems to be part of the mind set of a great number of fans ........... and Mr P Brown of course.

Back to last night, certainly he (Pigott) wasn't chasing down the keeper every time the ball went back to the goalie ......... and for good reason as the whole Crewe back 4 were more than happy to take the ball of the keeper and work the ball up to our penalty box ........... so it made sense to let the keeper have the ball and perhaps force him to kick long.

I see that as sensible energy (and intelligent) play ......... no matter how many fans shout "chase the ball down".

That's the fault of football, not the fault of Deegan. Tackling is not allowed.
Dave Martin and Peter Butler would think he's powderpuff.

It's nothing to do with the fault of football!!!

From what I have read and seen his yellow cards have been completely justified.

I'm all for standing by our players, but he has 4 yellows in 5 games, so I'm afraid he has to take some blame for that.

FEED THE :pig:!

just seen the highlights on youtube and 2 things why does brown look so miserable both times we took the lead?
and was Mooney offside? looks close from the clips!

Looked a good yard and a half offside to me and a correct decision (unless there was a Crewe defender out of shot anyway).

I'm all for standing by our players, but he has 4 yellows in 5 games, so I'm afraid he has to take some blame for that.

Well I'm guessing you're younger than I am then! I don't think I saw one single tackle last year that would have warranted a yellow card 20 years ago, and certainly not a red.

certainly more than 20 years ago now...

the way people talk about it is total bull. ive watched reminiscing match of the day shows etc from the 70s and been surprised to see how similar it was compared to what some would have you believe.

tackling hasnt gone from the game, but fortunately a lot of bad tackling has.

a number of the worlds best defenders have said in the past that if they have to make a tackle, theyve already made a mistake.

Haters gotta hate. You don't like him, fair enough, but he does the job he's asked to do and he does it very well.

An acquaintance at work went to a game last season and his words to me with no prompting were 'The beardy chap was the stand out player. Broke the opposition down well, did the dirty work and allowed others the space to do their thing'

I thought it well out of order last night during the first half someone Tweeted Pigott saying Get out of my ******* team, i think just after he hit the bar. That really is not what is needed from a so called supporter.
Although later on he tweeted how "we will never win anything while Ivanovic is in the team" so obviously not a dedicated fan.I just despair of some people.

Glad he got 2 goals because that was one heck of a miss when he hit the bar

His booking last night was what you'd call a cumulative one. Lots of niggly fouls and he eventually got booked. It's just part of his game, he often takes them for the team and he's the sort of player who inevitably will get booked.

On to the game, I thought we played well and deserved the win. There weren't many chances in the first half but we were getting in behind Crewe and I said at half-time I thought there would be goals. A brief frantic and open period at the start of the second half and then we saw the game out pretty well. A few scary moments but Crewe didn't threaten much and a lot of their play was in front of our back four. Good team performance but Deegan and O'Neill were the standout players for me. First time I've seen O'Neill and I was very impressed, seems to offer more going forward than White. Pleased for Piggot and you could tell his confidence was lifted. Good finish for the first goal and the second was the bit of luck you need sometimes as a striker. Certainly couldn't be accused of lacking effort. Hopefully shut up the people who were moaning about him at half-time. Great form ahead of a tough trip to Burton!

90% of specific comment on players on here seem to be negative and 10% positive, whether its Pigott, Prosser, O'Neil, Leonard, Payne, White, Deegan...................etc

His booking last night was what you'd call a cumulative one. Lots of niggly fouls and he eventually got booked. It's just part of his game, he often takes them for the team and he's the sort of player who inevitably will get booked.

On to the game, I thought we played well and deserved the win. There weren't many chances in the first half but we were getting in behind Crewe and I said at half-time I thought there would be goals. A brief frantic and open period at the start of the second half and then we saw the game out pretty well. A few scary moments but Crewe didn't threaten much and a lot of their play was in front of our back four. Good team performance but Deegan and O'Neill were the standout players for me. First time I've seen O'Neill and I was very impressed, seems to offer more going forward than White. Pleased for Piggot and you could tell his confidence was lifted. Good finish for the first goal and the second was the bit of luck you need sometimes as a striker. Certainly couldn't be accused of lacking effort. Hopefully shut up the people who were moaning about him at half-time. Great form ahead of a tough trip to Burton!

Or what you might call "persistent infringement of the Laws of the Game".

90% of specific comment on players on here seem to be negative and 10% positive, whether its Pigott, Prosser, O'Neil, Leonard, Payne, White, Deegan...................etc

Really ? most people seem to like Deegan, O'Neill seems (rightly) to get more acclaim than criticism, Payne seems popular enough.

Is this some sort of persecution complex by proxy.

Haters gotta hate. You don't like him, fair enough, but he does the job he's asked to do and he does it very well.

An acquaintance at work went to a game last season and his words to me with no prompting were 'The beardy chap was the stand out player. Broke the opposition down well, did the dirty work and allowed others the space to do their thing'

It's got nothing to do with my opinion of Deegan; I'm pointing out that what he's done has warranted bookings, regardless of what year it is!!

I will admit he's playing well, but he's going to end up with a one game ban very soon, which could end up costing his place.

Also how long before one of those bookings leads to a red - only takes a mistimed tackle or a opposition player to make a meal of a tackle and we're down to 10.

Personally I think these bookings can be easily avoided by Deegan himself and the problem is now refs will always be watching him

i had a beer with a Millwall season ticket holder mate who would take Deegan off us right now if he could, he was well impressed with him in that game. it's not the be all and end all, and it's off topic i know, but I think Deegan is a real player myself. I think he's vastly under-rated.
i wasn't there last night so can't comment but i think every game i've seen him play he's been useful and allows those in front a bit more freedom

Back