• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It's got nothing to do with my opinion of Deegan; I'm pointing out that what he's done has warranted bookings, regardless of what year it is!!

I will admit he's playing well, but he's going to end up with a one game ban very soon, which could end up costing his place.

Also how long before one of those bookings leads to a red - only takes a mistimed tackle or a opposition player to make a meal of a tackle and we're down to 10.

Personally I think these bookings can be easily avoided by Deegan himself and the problem is now refs will always be watching him

But then again we've won our last three games with Deegan coming in. If he's hit with a ban then never mind, he's earned it by winning the midfield battle and bringing home 3 points each week. We have cover for him (although not a like for like replacement) and he can come back from his ban with a clean sheet to start battling again and helping us win more games.

I don't really get why his 'discipline' is up for discussion. Timlin is also on three bookings (over more games than Deegan). Neither player strikes me as 'dirty' - just having to put in a lot of tackles and battles to win possession, so it's inevitable you'll get booked from time to time.

I don't really get why his 'discipline' is up for discussion. Timlin is also on three bookings (over more games than Deegan). Neither player strikes me as 'dirty' - just having to put in a lot of tackles and battles to win possession, so it's inevitable you'll get booked from time to time.

Agreed. Far better than a holding midfielder who just lets the opposition run past him every time. Very hard to play that role when the opposition are half decent and NOT get a booking. As the job is mainly to 'break up play' it's also the position that's most likely to result in a booking.

For every Deegan booking we get 4 strong tackles/interceptions that the ref has a think about, 4 that the opposition think about and 4 that our own fans don't appreciate. Good value I wood say.

If you want a good example of why play Deegan, Look at the Crew highlights and watch what happens when they finally clear the Pigott crossbar miss first half.

But then again we've won our last three games with Deegan coming in. If he's hit with a ban then never mind, he's earned it by winning the midfield battle and bringing home 3 points each week. We have cover for him (although not a like for like replacement) and he can come back from his ban with a clean sheet to start battling again and helping us win more games.

Deegan has picked up 4 yellows in four and a half matches. If he carries on at this rate, he'll break all records !

He wouldn't come back with a clean sheet as each subsequent group of 5 cautions incurs an incremental penalty (10 cautions, 2 match ban, 15 cautions 3 match ban and possible further sanctions from FA).

The chances of a red card at some stage must be high too. With Kettle in charge Saturday they must be higher than normal !

If I were Deegan, the beard would go. It just serves to make him (and his fouls) that much more conspicuous.

It's got nothing to do with my opinion of Deegan; I'm pointing out that what he's done has warranted bookings, regardless of what year it is!!

I will admit he's playing well, but he's going to end up with a one game ban very soon, which could end up costing his place.

Also how long before one of those bookings leads to a red - only takes a mistimed tackle or a opposition player to make a meal of a tackle and we're down to 10.

Personally I think these bookings can be easily avoided by Deegan himself and the problem is now refs will always be watching him

He has only been sent off once.

He does what he does and sometimes gets a card for it, he then seems to know to curb his play. If he was a liability then we could simply take him off and put Wordsworth on.

You cant ask him to do what he does and not pick up cards, it takes away his strength. You might as well play Wordsworth in the first place. It would be nice if he didnt pick up as many, but as long as they dont turn to red Im not overly fussed.

Deegan has picked up 4 yellows in four and a half matches. If he carries on at this rate, he'll break all records !

He wouldn't come back with a clean sheet as each subsequent group of 5 cautions incurs an incremental penalty (10 cautions, 2 match ban, 15 cautions 3 match ban and possible further sanctions from FA).

The chances of a red card at some stage must be high too. With Kettle in charge Saturday they must be higher than normal !

If I were Deegan, the beard would go. It just serves to make him (and his fouls) that much more conspicuous.

Another one wanting to take away his strength. You never heard of Samson?!

Question to the refs?
Re Deegan's shorts and Beard. as a supporter when watching a match if there is something visual that makes a player stand out (only player with long hair, really big ,etc) I tend to notice their contribution more. Does it have any impact on a ref? Does a ref store in his head everything that has happened in a match so far, and visual clues are not necessary?

Would Deegan 'get away ' with more if it if he didn't stand out visually? I assume no, but thought it worth asking

Question to the refs?
Re Deegan's shorts and Beard. as a supporter when watching a match if there is something visual that makes a player stand out (only player with long hair, really big ,etc) I tend to notice their contribution more. Does it have any impact on a ref? Does a ref store in his head everything that has happened in a match so far, and visual clues are not necessary?

Would Deegan 'get away ' with more if it if he didn't stand out visually? I assume no, but thought it worth asking

If it's a sub-concious thing, they're probably not going to be aware that they are doing it.

i think it was the Michael Calvin book on scouting that said that scouts tend to notice blonde players more so could well be the case that things like beard and shorts make Deegan stand out but not necessarily more than all the other players who, admittedly less at our level, tend to do themselves up a bit

i think it was the Michael Calvin book on scouting that said that scouts tend to notice blonde players more so could well be the case that things like beard and shorts make Deegan stand out but not necessarily more than all the other players who, admittedly less at our level, tend to do themselves up a bit

That's rubbish, I was never picked up :winking:

Question to the refs?

Of course they stand out more and are more noticeable. Not just by the referee, but the crowd at away games which in turn will put pressure on the referee. Can't say I'd noticed the shorts but if Deegan wants less cards, do away with the beard (or persuade all the others to grow one!).

Of course they stand out more and are more noticeable. Not just by the referee, but the crowd at away games which in turn will put pressure on the referee. Can't say I'd noticed the shorts but if Deegan wants less cards, do away with the beard (or persuade all the others to grow one!).

Honestly? :stunned:

Sitting in the East last weekend when the sun caught the beard at a side on angle it looked like a heavenly halo around the edge, Deegan has been sent from above, he is our saviour, do not disrespect the mass of face pubes that brought us 3 points :angel::Worthy::smile:

Less cult, more football skill and perspective please. He does the job PB wants, but there are times when we won't need it. He's done a great job last three games but some games will require more finesse.

He should do absolutely no such thing

Less cult, more football skill and perspective please. He does the job PB wants, but there are times when we won't need it. He's done a great job last three games but some games will require more finesse.

Agreed, he has done a job and will no doubt be called upon throughout the season, however I dont see him as integral to the side for every match, hence Im not overly fussed if he gets the odd suspension.

Agreed, he has done a job and will no doubt be called upon throughout the season, however I dont see him as integral to the side for every match, hence Im not overly fussed if he gets the odd suspension.
Bit beardophobic isn't it ? Do you work for Gillette ?

Of course they stand out more and are more noticeable. Not just by the referee, but the crowd at away games which in turn will put pressure on the referee. Can't say I'd noticed the shorts but if Deegan wants less cards, do away with the beard (or persuade all the others to grow one!).[/QUOTE

Yes,good point about the crowd at away games,Mick-though a decent ref. should not be affected but we don't get many of them home or away.Yes,best not to stand out from those around-I'm sure this didn't help poor Mohsni-the opposition always quickly identified the man to provoke from the very first whistle- please read the thread in former players' section for further comment.

Back