• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What money he goes for is irrelevant to us , as supporters, it is the fact that we need immediate cover for a very young fledgling keeper or it's the return of fans' favourite P Smith.

I keep saying this but no one knows if Bentley is willing to sign a new contract. If he is then who is to say that we would not get even more money at a later date? If he continues to improve then surely his value goes up not down (if he signs a contract)

If he was willing he would have signed someone already. Other than Thompson every other player has signed their contracts now, Bentley hasn't been mentioned when contract renewals have been mentioned since May.

I doubt his head will be in the right place to play today though, however much of a professional he may be. He didn't look completely happy last week at Fleetwood if I'm honest.

I could always stand in for Bentley even tho I have a game tomorrow, I would sign for just £500 a week Mr brown:thumbsup:

This whole "his head isn't in the right place so he shouldn't play" argument isn't really true here. Dan has made it clear that if the right offer for him and the club didn't come in then he'd be happy to stay, he's not unhappy or trying to force a move, so why would he not be ready to play?

Ted is an excellent prospect but not ready yet, and I'd go as far as to say that a distracted Dan is better than Ted at the moment.

Today might just be his last game for us. Let's give him the a great reception. He is the best goalkeeper I have ever seen in almost 40 years of watching Southend. He is going to go onto great things and who knows he might play for England one day.

He's just tweeted " its match day". Good lad. Puts those premier league prima donnas to shame. If he does leave he can certainly do so with his head held high as he has handled this situation perfectly

I doubt his head will be in the right place to play today though, however much of a professional he may be. He didn't look completely happy last week at Fleetwood if I'm honest.

He was fine against Brighton. Usual immaculate handling when coming for crosses and set pieces. No problems with kicking.
Hope I haven't tempted fate for todays game.:winking:

The only time IMO "He didn't look completely happy last week at Fleetwood" was when their goal was scored, and don't worry his head is always in the right place. Dan is one of the most focused players I have come across. His head will only be thinking of keeping a clean sheet.

Today might just be his last game for us. Let's give him the a great reception. He is the best goalkeeper I have ever seen in almost 40 years of watching Southend. He is going to go onto great things and who knows he might play for England one day.

I have been watching the team even longer than you! Agree with you that he is the best ever and is worth ten points a season to the team. Will really miss him when he eventually goes.

Please don't get me wrong,Bentley is a highly promising YOUNG keeper who should continue to improve but either you've missed an awful lot of Southend games early on in your 40 years or you've badly cricked your neck turning your back on our goal when Mervyn Cawston made his 242 appearances.Obviously you also missed the immaculate (admittedly short) loan spells of John Burridge and Adam Federici.

Brown expects him to start today according to the Echo.

He's attitude and professionalism is class. He puts prem players to shame. His focus is what will make him an England player one day. The way he handled the playoff final at such a young age is probably why QPR have finally put the bids in, as before clubs held off. They could see that not only is he a good keeper but mentally strong too. We should be proud of Dan that he came from our club and we saw him play a lot of games.
Nothing seems to faze him and he will play today no problem and if it's his last game then fair enough, take a bow son.

Can I make a special request today for a rousing rendition of ''ONE DANIEL BENTLEY, THERE'S ONLY ONE DANIEL BENTLEY'', just in case it's his last game. Hopefully, all the Southend fans will join in and show him what he means to us. It's the least we can do, but I know he will really appreciate it.

Back