• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Gutted! May not have been the most graceful of players but loved watching him intimidate the **** out of opposition midfield's! Hope we sign a similar enforcer type player for next season

Technically sound for this level...right up until he came under pressure from the opposition. Agree with a previous post that Deegs isn't mobile enough to play in a central two. If we want to move forward then Deegan isn't going to start every week.

Sorry to see Deegan leave, i think he was underrated and often not given the credit he deserved for his workrate and reading of the game. I think he will be massively missed unless PB has an upgrade in mind... I think we may rue the day if I am honest! :sad:

Sorry to see Deegan leave, i think he was underrated and often not given the credit he deserved for his workrate and reading of the game. I think he will be massively missed unless PB has an upgrade in mind... I think we may rue the day if I am honest! :sad:
Totally agree.

A good squad player.

It would be interesting to know the full facts of why the change of decision by him and the club, after it was announced his contract e tension would be activated. The statement that he apparently demanded to be first choice doesn't appear to be his style.

Any player should want to start. I cannot see him demanding to though.

i think there may be details not being said here. id imagine the conversation would be along the lines of if im going to stay i need some assurances that i will be playing regularly at this stage of my career. brown couldnt/wouldnt agree to that (rightly or wrongly) and to make sure the fans stay on side hes elaborated to the press that he 'demanded' to be playing making him the bad guy.

i think there may be details not being said here. id imagine the conversation would be along the lines of if im going to stay i need some assurances that i will be playing regularly at this stage of my career. brown couldnt/wouldnt agree to that (rightly or wrongly) and to make sure the fans stay on side hes elaborated to the press that he 'demanded' to be playing making him the bad guy.

Supposition, or do you know something Eddy?

I trust Phil Brown implicitly, if he says Deegan demanded then I am sure he did.

Why would the manager lie ?

(To make himself the good guy, that's why !) :winking:

The problem is this- we have many players in 'can do a good job' category. In fact two team's worth- problem is we now need 2-3 really good players with the potential to be good at a higher level. This means letting go some of 'can do a good job' players. Easiest place to start is those with the contracts up- or in Deegan's case who present an opportunity for the parting of the ways. Phil may even have preferred to keep him in favour of one of the other players under contract- but that's not a choice he probably had.

I think the right number of heads are on the way out to provide a real opportunity to take the team to the next level. Going to be an interesting summer.

Things definitely changed quickly. Beginning of the week he was staying, I was party to some private information to very firmly back that up, so a fall out of the kind described, whatever we think about Brown, would fit in with the sudden change.

Thanks Deegan, now go and find a league two team that suits your style, where you will get away with not being technically great in a busy midfield.

Things definitely changed quickly. Beginning of the week he was staying, I was party to some private information to very firmly back that up, so a fall out of the kind described, whatever we think about Brown, would fit in with the sudden change.

But remember we did not offer him an extension- it was automatically triggered (I had thought on appearances but CP has now confirmed due to us not getting promoted). So actually in effect that automatic extension was triggered 3-4 weeks ago.

They then have the discussion where Deegan says I really need to be playing regularly- what commitment can you give me that I will get a regular start. PB says I can't- I see you as a good squad player but no guarantees at all. Deegs says I am not happy with that I could play regularly elsewhere- end result we will release you and you go and do just that. Would not call it a falling out- just realism from two pretty straightforward individuals.

But remember we did not offer him an extension- it was automatically triggered (I had thought on appearances but CP has now confirmed due to us not getting promoted). So actually in effect that automatic extension was triggered 3-4 weeks ago.

They then have the discussion where Deegan says I really need to be playing regularly- what commitment can you give me that I will get a regular start. PB says I can't- I see you as a good squad player but no guarantees at all. Deegs says I am not happy with that I could play regularly elsewhere- end result we will release you and you go and do just that. Would not call it a falling out- just realism from two pretty straightforward individuals.

How dare you post something sensible on this site - now log off, sit in the corner and think about what you have just done!!

The trouble with that is that he played 44 times in 2 seasons with Southend. I don't think he's going to beat that elswhere, whichever division. Zero goals, hardly an assist, a bad disciplinary record overall, I think Phil's been more than fair with him. He's overrating himself.

The trouble with that is that he played 44 times in 2 seasons with Southend. I don't think he's going to beat that elswhere, whichever division. Zero goals, hardly an assist, a bad disciplinary record overall, I think Phil's been more than fair with him. He's overrating himself.

Yes one or two in danger of doing that at the moment egged on by their agents..

He's proved himself capable of playing decently in L1, any side in L2 who plays three central midfielders will be happy to have him based on that. Players in his position rarely come into their prime until late 20s and I think he could be dominant at that level now given how he's matured here.

Never the same player since he shaved off his beard. Thanks Deegan and good luck.

Indeed.

Maybe we should have let him go, but kept his beard, playing it regularly in midfield, alongside Lenny.

Back