• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Deegan was the lynch pin and playmaker in more games this season than people give him credit for, giving accurate long and short passes, moving the ball quickly. I would say that the people who have written him off as a poor player, not good enough for L1, or jump on him at the smallest mistake yet ignore bigger mistakes from apparent better players, don't know as much about the game as they profess to know
Roots hall is full of those......

Not unhappy to see Deegan go. I think he was overrated by a lot of blues fans. It seemed the fact he had a crazy beard and tight shorts made him a hero to some. What we need is some quick minded and quick footed midfielders so that we can be far quicker in our counter attacking next year. Our slowness in turning defence into attack this year really cost us in my opinion.

Agreed 1 billion % even though it's not possible.

Was alway's stunned whenever Deeg tried to beat his man in the deep,carnage waiting to happen.

Interesting views on Deegan. Next season will reveal how good/bad he is by what level he plays at and how many appearances he makes at his new club.

It should mean that Leonard slots back into the holding role and we let in less goals as a result

Yes indeed. I think Deegan filled that role admirably in Leonard's absence and has looked like a different player in the last third of the season so all credit to him for that, but he lacks Leonard's creativity and goal threat. Still sorry to see Deegs go as I think he gives us something that others don't.

Interesting views on Deegan. Next season will reveal how good/bad he is by what level he plays at and how many appearances he makes at his new club.
assuming that somebody takes a punt ... He struggled to get a club before...

Deegan was one of many Ok players we have at this level. a bit different, does what he does, pretty effective without ever going to be a match winner. He can certainly do a job a L2 level and would not be surprised to see him at a new or lower half L1 side whose set up needs a Deegan type of player- maybe as part of a 451.

Always first to training, always committed to the club and played to the best of his ability. We should send him on with our best wishes- I always feel a bit uncomfortable 'dissing' his ability as it's a little unfair.

Deegan would have known exactly what would happen if he made that demand so he obviously has something else lined up. Deegan's agent would have been busy in the last few months it is the way of professional football. Some agents have approached PB as far back as January about moves this summer.

Good luck to Deegan. Its our so called better players in mid-field that have let us down this season but in true zone style some are blaming the likes of Deegan and Atkinson for our lack of goals and not realising that there would be no Jack Payne without these sort of players. Deegan had some great games for us at places like Millwall (flattened one of their players first minute), Crew and Gillingham etc.

Also there was a myth about his cards being a liability. Our results were better when he took a yellow and we even won both games he got red carded.

In the last few years we have rarely come from behind to win at RH and likewise we have rarely lost if we are in front. Not to concede a soft first goal is far more important than most fans notice.
Maybe because we had a better shape as a result?:winking:

In all seriousness, I think Deegan was underrated on the ball. His use of it was generally pretty good and he rarely gave it away. Trouble is, it's obvious the whole cult figure thing got to him because off the ball he was shocking bad; almost like a kid on a Haribo buzz who had won a competition to play. He committed needless fouls and even some of his 'take one for the team' yellows were unnecessary (particularly the second one v Coventry). We always needed a three-man central midfield with him in it to compensate for the space better opposition players may exploit behind him.

Now, in fairness, had Brown's tactics involved a pressing game further up the pitch rather than sitting back and letting the opposition have time on the ball, perhaps Deegan would have been far better suited and, with a bit of coaching, forced the opposition into giving the ball away but at this level he's largely been found out.

Deegan is a destroyer. It's when he tries to pass it all falls apart. Can only remember one really good pass, which led to a goal and was shocked.

Deegan is a destroyer. It's when he tries to pass it all falls apart. Can only remember one really good pass, which led to a goal and was shocked.

Very true

Deeg destroyed my confidence watching professional football.

Not unhappy to see Deegan go. I think he was overrated by a lot of blues fans. It seemed the fact he had a crazy beard and tight shorts made him a hero to some. What we need is some quick minded and quick footed midfielders so that we can be far quicker in our counter attacking next year. Our slowness in turning defence into attack this year really cost us in my opinion.

with a crazy beard and icredibley, tight, tight shorts :winking:

Back