• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Reading the saddlers thread got me thinking about my bad old days of being stuck in traffic and stuff and made me realise just how damn lucky i really am so i thought how do most zoners travel to work and is the trip as nice as mine.
Yesterday i was working half a hour away from home and there are two ways i can get there,main road through countryside or back roads through country side,i choose the back road due to having 60 concrete blocks on board and big hills are a bit of a struggle.
I left at 8.15 which of course is rush hour and got there at 8.45,i saw 8 other cars/vans on the trip,passed through 2 beautiful villages and lots of old hamlets,saw one woman talking through a window to another and saw 1 deer and 3 rabbits when i arrived.
In all a nice drive with views of mountains and lots of cows and trees and stuff,so whats your journey to work like?

10 min walk to station.
3 min ride on a train
2 min walk to office.

Damn hard commute. :winking:

Not to onerous, bus to Benfleet, train to Tilbury, stroll to the office about 40/45 minutes in the morning and an hour in the evening.

Leave my house around 7am walk to car, and that's it. Hard life driving a taxi for a living sometimes.

Leave my house around 7am walk to car, and that's it. Hard life driving a taxi for a living sometimes.

Sooner you than me mate. My brother used to do it and the horror stories he told me, but he did "do" Romford on Friday & Saturday nights.

Leave house at 6:10 and walk to Benfleet Station.
Board 6:18 and spend 40 minute commute coding on laptop.
Arrive at Fenchurch Street at 7:00
20 minute walk to office on Fleet Street.

Repeat in opposite direction 11+ hours later.

3min walk to tram stop
11min tram ride
3min walk to work

Sheffield trams are brilliant!

Reading the saddlers thread got me thinking about my bad old days of being stuck in traffic and stuff and made me realise just how damn lucky i really am so i thought how do most zoners travel to work and is the trip as nice as mine.
Yesterday i was working half a hour away from home and there are two ways i can get there,main road through countryside or back roads through country side,i choose the back road due to having 60 concrete blocks on board and big hills are a bit of a struggle.
I left at 8.15 which of course is rush hour and got there at 8.45,i saw 8 other cars/vans on the trip,passed through 2 beautiful villages and lots of old hamlets,saw one woman talking through a window to another and saw 1 deer and 3 rabbits when i arrived.
In all a nice drive with views of mountains and lots of cows and trees and stuff,so whats your journey to work like?

After reading the above my next commute will be to rural France with a hunting rifle looking for a happy smiling English ex-pat (sometimes seen humping concrete blocks about) Stories of this idylic lifestyle need stamping out. :sad:

Leave at 7am, drive from Binfield to Bracknell ring road, cut across to Ascot, then down through South Ascot to Windlesham. Usually 15 mins unless I get caught in traffic

like Alton Towers every morning, hope you don't have breakfast on the go, it'll be like the rollercoasting scouts on Jim'll Fix It!

Indeed, the bit I go on (from Hillsborough to the city centre) isn't too bad. Other side of the city (Halfway and Meadowhall) is pretty crazy, but you get used to it!

I'm still hoping that sometime soon my day will take Scott's lead as I will embark on a poker career when I am good enough. :stunned:

Until recently my commute consisted of a 20 minute jog past a castle, 8 bookies and two strip clubs.

Until yesterday - bus/walk; bus; train; bus. An hour if lucky, closer to 90 minutes if not.

As of today - drive. Anywhere between 30 and 50 minutes, with the podcast of last week's Fighting Talk to keep me company. Much more civil and a fair bit cheaper too.

Picked up from home by Bahraini driver - 0730
Drive to Bahrain - Saudi border - 15 mins
Go through 6 checkpoints/passport control - 30 mins
Pass through Saudi Customs - sniffer dogs et al - 5 mins
Pass through final check into Saudi Arabia - 5 minutes
Drive on to Al Khobar -15 mins
At my desk - 0845

Picked up from home by Bahraini driver - 0730
Drive to Bahrain - Saudi border - 15 mins
Go through 6 checkpoints/passport control - 30 mins
Pass through Saudi Customs - sniffer dogs et al - 5 mins
Pass through final check into Saudi Arabia - 5 minutes
Drive on to Al Khobar -15 mins
At my desk - 0845

jack-bauer.jpg

Today was set alarm for 9am .. look outside and see its pi$$ing down and go back to bed till 11 .. get up see its still chucking it, have a cup of tea and some toast, casually glimpse out the window from time to time assuring myself its not the weather for me, send a jokey text to my client saying i'm not coming today then boot up the PC and see whats happening in SZ land

7.45: Drive the kids to nursery.
8.00: Put the car back.
8.05: Arrive at the station for the 8.05.
8.35: Get off train and walk 15 mins to office.

Or today because of the rain.
7.45: Get the wife to drop me off at the station, and let her take the kids to nursery.
7.49: Get on train.i
8.15: Get off train one stop early and get on the underground for two stops.
8.30: Walk 20 seconds to the office.

Or, if First Crapital live up to their name (like yesterday):
7.45: Drive the kids to nursery.
8.00: Put the car back.
8.05: Arrive at the station for the 8.05.
8.35: Squeeze on to the 8.05, 8.12, or 8.21 depending on which one hasn't been cancelled/delayed/both.
9.25: Get off train and walk 15 minutes to the office.

Back