• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Essex CCC 2017

I'm proud to say. I was there.

Mate of mine went all day and I drove over for the final session.

That was simply awesome .. Middlesex wasted as much time as possible, but we really do have incredible belief now. Every ball in those last few overs must have felt like a grenade .. They had no answer.

We've just beaten the County Champions .. By an Innings .. Only losing 3 wickets .. THREE!

This side can do this now. The intensity of our cricket at the end was a different level.

I doubted the Silverwood / Irani partnership, but boy was I wrong.

Simon Harmer was simply unplayable. Aside from the 9 wickets, he had about four catches/half chances dropped and endless LBW appeals.

Believe guys .. Really believe now! :happy:

I'm proud to say. I was there.

Mate of mine went all day and I drove over for the final session.

That was simply awesome .. Middlesex wasted as much time as possible, but we really do have incredible belief now. Every ball in those last few overs must have felt like a grenade .. They had no answer.

We've just beaten the County Champions .. By an Innings .. Only losing 3 wickets .. THREE!

This side can do this now. The intensity of our cricket at the end was a different level.

I doubted the Silverwood / Irani partnership, but boy was I wrong.

Simon Harmer was simply unplayable. Aside from the 9 wickets, he had about four catches/half chances dropped and endless LBW appeals.

Believe guys .. Really believe now! :happy:

You lucky git! you have no idea how much i'm jealous.

I had to listen to it on the old wireless transmitter, but still, it was amazing stuff. you actually couldn't have made it up!..

Regardless of what happens for the rest of the season, I think we will talk about this match for many years to come. Not just the records broken, but it coming down to the final wire.

As for Middlesex wasting time, I could hear the booing from the crowd on the radio, when Finn went into a bit of extreme gardening around the crease, and he further tried to waste time by running the clock down, by re-tieing his shoe laces a couple of times.

Oh well, all's well that ends well...... That Trophy is slowly inching itself towards Chelmsford!! :smile:

:happy:

I should get over there more often, but business takes up a lot of time. Really glad I did, though.

The crowd were excellent. Cheering every wicket like it was a goal at Wembley. Feeding off the energy of the players.

The time-wasting became a bit farcical. I wouldn't overly blame the players. It's a time honoured tradition, but the umpires have to intervene more. When Ryan Higgins was out, for example, the 12th man ran out with a drink for the non-striker - Toby Roland-Jones. Then the next batsman - Ollie Rayner - took an age to come out to bat. Pushing the two minute rule to the limit. He was then out 2 balls later. Cue the 12th man coming out again with another drink for Toby Roland-Jones!

Also, there were mid-wicket conferences between the two batsmen, during the over! .. I mean, what could they be talking about. They only had one plan and that was not to get out! .. The umpires should have just said no to any of that or the rules need changing in the last hour, where the umpires have a stop-watch they can apply for blatant time-wasting.

Still, it made for even more drama, I guess!

We concluded that it's the latest victory time (8:59pm) in the history of the County Championship, so another record for us!

Last edited:
The best news for Essex is Harmer is Kolpak player, so cannot turn out for SA, during the series

You feel with Amir in the ranks and I seriously doubt if Westley, Lawrence and Porter will get a look in this season England team, and I know its early days but boy is it good to say we are top of the league. With Cook absent, its time for young Chopra to become the force we know he has

Essex may not be a team of Internationals and big names (Yet), but the spirit is all there to see, and the crowd play a big part. Southend supporters should take note, if this had been a football match with half an hour to go, most would have walked out muttering their discontentment rather than get behind the boys.

Feel for Masters and Pettini, missing out of a possible championship after years of toil and labouring

Irani/.Silverwood take big credit, but I think now that someone is no longer part of the management side, the spirit has gone through the roof, arrogance does not make a good team especially when managing players

UTE

This is going to a be a draw. Shame

Need a quick wicket after the break but a draw is most likely.

Too late I think :(

They're just blocking now. We batted too much yesterday. Oh well, still extended our lead.

They're going to just block. Too late sadly.

Only 6 overs left though

Not enough overs left.

Let me guess. You knew we'd do it all along! As it happens, I gave up looking at updates at about 5.00 when I left work and Middx were about 151-3. I couldn't see us winning it from there either.

Outstanding stuff.

This has been one hell of a season already.

:Worthy::Worthy::Worthy:

I know there's still a long way to go and all that (and I was tense as anything, pacing up and down listening to it), but forget all that and just soak in the feeling.

ESSEX! ESSEX! ESSEX!

The amazing thing is not just the results, but the manner of victory.

By an innings or 8 or 9 wickets.

If you were looking at our results in, say, a Ranji Trophy tournament and didn't know the sides, you'd say the results suggest a complete mis-match.

Fact is, we are beating top county sides, here.

Remarkable, given where we were under Grayson.

What a time to be an Essex supporter!
I did say before the season that we'd win it, I wish i'd put some money on us now.

I went to the Monday of this game with a mate, train down from London after work and we got about 50 over in - just enough to see Middlesex collapse at the end.
My mate took me around Lords in the reverse fixture as he's a member there and it did feel a bit uneven, me seeing the Long Room at Lords, him seeing Chelmsford on a Monday evening.
Still, really enjoyed the time I was there.

Overall, an amazing win. Absolute domination all the day and a victory sprint around my living room when the last wicket fell. Quality.

WE are top of the league!

Good day so far for us. Yorkshire look like they won't win and Hampshire will draw. We'll have a game in hand on hem

After the T20 break, four of our remaining six matches are away, which is a shame.

That said, the final two matches are Hampshire away and Yorkshire at home.

Definitely doable games, from a spectator POV, if it comes to it.:thumbsup:

Sept 5th away to Lancs, should be a cracking game to watch

Have to say have a massive soft spot for Lancs as a kid, watching Clive Lloyd, Harry Pilling, David Hughes, Jackie Bond, Farouk Engineer,Ken Shuttleworth I could go on ,but like the summers as a kid, it would go on and on ......

If Ballance fails v SA to day, Tom W must be in line for second test

UTE

Hants applying the follow-on v Surry but that should be a draw.

Meanwhile, hopefully Warks can beat Middx. Close one, that one.

Yorkshire are well and truly out of it against Somerset.

All in all, good positions in those games for us.

Definitely a good day so far for Essex without playing a game, so far couldnot work out better

Though I fear Tom W,might get a call for second test if Ballance fails to hit a decent score in the second innings v SA

Middx crawl over the line.

Two successive close finishes, for them!

T20 starts tomorrow and our game is on the box. Fear we may be an out and out batter light what with Browne and Cook not selected/not available.

Guessing we will line up like this:

Chopra
Westley
Lawrence
Bopara
Tendo
Zaidi
Foster
Walter
Harmer
Amir
Porter

Not really loving the balance to that side but with the squad available I can't see much else to offer. Dixon , Taylor and Wheater miss out - prettty sure wheaters strongest area is 20/20 and pretty sure he has opened for his old side before, so that could be an option!?

Back