• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Films you've watched recently.

La La land.

Absolute tosh.0/10.

“For those who like that sort of thing," said Miss Brodie in her best Edinburgh voice, "That is the sort of thing they like.” Muriel Spark.The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie.

Made me pine for Coppola's One from the Heart.

LLL has just equalled the record for most Oscar nominations. :whistling:

Not seen it (yet) but it'll have to go some to be Arrival, which I thought was just remarkable.

The Blue Lamp (1950)
Classic Ealing crime drama directed by Leigh-on-sea's own Basil Dearden. Not quite as good as Pool of London which Dearden directed the following year, but still brilliant, and I loved seeing how parts of London I got to know well in the 1980s looked 30+ years earlier. 7/10

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back - 6/10 - Not the best and nowhere near as good as the first. The storyline is a little weak and takes you a while for it to all come together. Some good action scenes but that's about it.

Fabulous beasts and where to find them & The theory of Everything - Both featuring Eddie Redmayne. I went into both wanting to dislike them as everywhere I look recently Redmayne keeps popping up. He proved me completely wrong in both films as I thoroughly enjoyed them both and he showed he is a very good actor. 8/10 both films.

Bright Lights: Starring Carrie Fisher & Debbie Reynolds. Documentary that was already due to be screened in 2017, filmed over the last couple of years, very interesting. 7.5/10

La La Land - sorry TUIB, it's absolutely fantastic. Wonderful music, great story - I'm at a loss to understand why you wouldn't like it. 10/10

Hacksaw Ridge - True story about a conscientious objector who served as a medic in WW2 and won the Medal of Honour.
Andrew Garfield plays Desmond Doss and does it very well. The war scenes are particularly bloody but Mel Gibson has directed a first rate film. 8/10

La La Land - sorry TUIB, it's absolutely fantastic. Wonderful music, great story - I'm at a loss to understand why you wouldn't like it. 10/10

In fact, I'm going to stick my neck out here and say it may be a new entry in my top 10 all time list....and it's a musical. Who knew!

Anthropoid on DVD for the second time after seeing it at the cinema , still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up .

Back