• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Moved to Devon this year and not only do I not miss Essex, sadly I do not miss watching the Blues, bad matches I can get over but sitting and watching awful football week after week season after season takes its toll, I stopped going regularly a year or two back.
That said I shall be going to the away games at Exeter, Torquay and Plymouth. Currently enjoying doing the rounds of non-league clubs in the area its much more fun and a lot less expensive.

Is it time for a proper organised fan protest?

Or is it a waste of time and we should just sit back and pray?

Just throwing it out there...

:whistling:

Unless there are specific aims and objectives I can see it ending up as nothing much tbh.

If it was to be a seriously considered well coordonated effort that would only be detrimental to the primary target and not the Football club ot may have some impact.
The issue for me, however, is why are people staying away. Those on this thread have msny different reasons alresdy and it only a few pages long. It would be hard to highlight a specific to protest against

Same as Tommy I have been to one game this season and only five in the two seasons before just cant be bothered any more, the passion has gone since all the off pitch problems ( thanks to RM ) got that bad that we cant pay staff ect.

I The way I see it, our current plight has probably silently existed for decades, but the emergence of the Internet has taken rumour, financial wizardry and strategic business thinking out of the pub after the game and onto larger public forums.

Que Sera Sera...

Ain't that the truth? Social media has the potential to be a very powerful tool, for both good and bad. When it comes to football threads, it's as if the first cynical/depressing thread published just fuels the fire for others to follow suit. This club has always had the belief that it is far better than it's current position, and whilst it has got to be our ambition to reach higher leagues, there is very little evidence that we have been anything other than mediocre over the years (with the occasional exceptions, Championship etc). All that said, I support Southend United because they are my club, and it's where I live. I want to watch a successful club, who doesn't? but I will not stop watching because they are struggling. Eventually, things will turn round for a while, and we will have a period of success, the law of averages says that this will happen. When it does, I will be happy more weeks than I'm not, and then, bosh......something will happen and we will revert to mediocrity again, I've seen it so many times in the past. I just wondering what social media will look like when the next dip takes place.

I lost any 'passion' after Tilly left! Not particularly as I was Tilly admirer, but I felt Southend were more of a 'team' then (even if they weren't very good)...I knew the players, etc etc...after PS came along and had to rebuild, I missed a lot of games, lost track of new players (and loanees) and when I do go and watch us play, I don't feel connected anymore.

We sometimes go to New Lodge the total price for entrance,bit of food and several drinks each is under 50 quid,The crowd are in the main decent folk whilst the football ain't too sad,No travelling involved and all in all decent day out and I can smoke my head off.

So, does this hark back to my thread on "Oxford on Saturday"....asking the reasonable question...that due to a recent run of poor form/bad luck/dodgy decisions ....that support is there, but dwindling rapidly?

Die-hards have stated "thick and thin" whatever the circumstances, there will always be "glory followers"...Wembley for example. The simple fact is that if we were up in the top 4, support will always be in greater numbers...we ain't and rather than make that "extra" trip, most will stay at home and follow it on local radio.

I've followed the Shrimpers for 40 years now and accept where we are, glory days are few and far between....Friday night games are a mare for me, but I haven't given up and never will.

Bottom line though is; value for money / players putting in a good shift....and eternal hope !!!

Regarding dwindling support, is it actually doing so?

Crowds seem pretty good at the moment and we are actually above last years average. (5822 compared to 5034 last year)

I think attendances are holding up well - considering the malaise around the club and its future. We have potentially a wonderful football club that can once again be an intrinsic part of the local (and wider) community. Its just ...the money! Sigh.

Regarding dwindling support, is it actually doing so?

Crowds seem pretty good at the moment and we are actually above last years average. (5822 compared to 5034 last year)

Agreed Jam_Man..however, the Friday night game slipped below 5,000 (wet and windy night though), and I was under the impression that we need crowds of 6,000 just to break even ??

Agreed Jam_Man..however, the Friday night game slipped below 5,000 (wet and windy night though), and I was under the impression that we need crowds of 6,000 just to break even ??

6000 just to break even,Ron is a cad:winking:

Not sure what the break even is these days, the budgets have changed since we last heard anything like that.

Bear in mind that whatever it is it is an average figure, we can dip and make the money up later (although for cash flow obviously we want regular decent attendances)

Friday night games are a strange one. We have always done well attendance wise with them, but it must reduce the amount of away fans (probably not a massive factor in this league), and it certainly reduces the attendance in the family section. Ive taken my kids to the last two, the first time to let my son get an idea of floodlight games, and he fell asleep, the second because I couldnt get a baby sitter :)

Just to clarify, I'm not boycotting the club by any means. Not because Sturrock was sacked, not because Brown's in charge, not because RM is still at the helm and not because we're still to escape the death throes of League Two. I do, however, think that those points - particularly the last two - have made Roots Hall not what it once was. The atmosphere became very poisonous at times, with our own players on the receiving end of some quite vitriolic stuff and I've no doubt that had a significant impact on our home form. As much as we're the live blood of the club, we can't half be our own enemies at times and instead of rallying behind a common cause, there's been a fair amount of infighting and bickering.

Perhaps living away from the town and not quite being as involved with supporting the club as staunchly as I once was has meant my take on things is skewed or more cursory than before, but Roots Hall is a very different place to what it was not just during the Tilson reign, but during Sturrock's second season in charge. It's understandable, continuing financial woes and the absence of a shovel swung in anger have meant we're a more beleaguered bunch than we once were, but I'd like to think that people paying their hard earned to watch us play would have a vested interest in us winning, and would do everything in their power to help achieve that goal. That was true of the vast majority not so long ago, but not so much anymore.

Again, maybe I'm so far removed from the club that I'm seeing things that aren't there. Perhaps my scope is distorted more by what I hear or see written on here and in the press, but that was certainly the impression I got during my scant visits back last season. I find greater joy in watching park and grassroots football now as there's none of the backdrop or supporting dramatics. It's just football, and, at the end of the day, that was always why I went along.

For me, the most disenchanting thing about it is there's no reason to remain optimistic. There's little news emanating from the club regarding the stadium and I have no faith in Brown to restore faith in the stands. While Sturrock endeared himself to the supporters over time, Tilson galvanized the supporters in a way that only a "local boy done good" could. Perhaps we need another Tilson, another inexperienced but enthusiastic manager that each and every supporter could rally behind.

At the moment we're just sauntering along from one crisis to the next. Our apathy is a deathwish, but there's little to stop the arrest and nothing to galvanize the support into forming a common ground.

Just to clarify, I'm not boycotting the club by any means. Not because Sturrock was sacked, not because Brown's in charge, not because RM is still at the helm and not because we're still to escape the death throes of League Two. I do, however, think that those points - particularly the last two - have made Roots Hall not what it once was. The atmosphere became very poisonous at times, with our own players on the receiving end of some quite vitriolic stuff and I've no doubt that had a significant impact on our home form. As much as we're the live blood of the club, we can't half be our own enemies at times and instead of rallying behind a common cause, there's been a fair amount of infighting and bickering.

Perhaps living away from the town and not quite being as involved with supporting the club as staunchly as I once was has meant my take on things is skewed or more cursory than before, but Roots Hall is a very different place to what it was not just during the Tilson reign, but during Sturrock's second season in charge. It's understandable, continuing financial woes and the absence of a shovel swung in anger have meant we're a more beleaguered bunch than we once were, but I'd like to think that people paying their hard earned to watch us play would have a vested interest in us winning, and would do everything in their power to help achieve that goal. That was true of the vast majority not so long ago, but not so much anymore.

Again, maybe I'm so far removed from the club that I'm seeing things that aren't there. Perhaps my scope is distorted more by what I hear or see written on here and in the press, but that was certainly the impression I got during my scant visits back last season. I find greater joy in watching park and grassroots football now as there's none of the backdrop or supporting dramatics. It's just football, and, at the end of the day, that was always why I went along.

For me, the most disenchanting thing about it is there's no reason to remain optimistic. There's little news emanating from the club regarding the stadium and I have no faith in Brown to restore faith in the stands. While Sturrock endeared himself to the supporters over time, Tilson galvanized the supporters in a way that only a "local boy done good" could. Perhaps we need another Tilson, another inexperienced but enthusiastic manager that each and every supporter could rally behind.

Superb post,

The Tilson era was when I first became a regular,His sacking left a bitter taste.

I read a book recently about football scouts entitled 'The Nowhere Men', and Dean Austin features in that. He is desperate to get into management. I believe he coached here under Tilson too and could be the sort of managerial appointment that ESB mentioned.

The book also mentions that Sturrock was phoning Championship clubs offering Kane Ferdinand before Peterborough bought him, as we needed to sell him to pay a tax bill.

At the moment we're just sauntering along from one crisis to the next. Our apathy is a deathwish, but there's little to stop the arrest and nothing to galvanize the support into forming a common ground.

What Tilson had more than anything was success.

If he had floundered in League Two for 3 years no one would be galvanised because he was a local etc.

You can just see what 3 wins on the bounce did at the beginning of this season, there was a good atmosphere in the ground and on here.

No one was raising these threads when we were winning, thats all it takes.

What Tilson had more than anything was success.

If he had floundered in League Two for 3 years no one would be galvanised because he was a local etc.

You can just see what 3 wins on the bounce did at the beginning of this season, there was a good atmosphere in the ground and on here.

No one was raising these threads when we were winning, thats all it takes.

I take your point, but I don't think it's deniable that the feel good vibe was enforced by the fact each and every Southend supporter was keen on Tilson and wanted him to succeed, and that works in the opposite way in that consecutive defeats and winless runs are met with more vociferous indignation now that an "outsider" is in charge.

I take your point, but I don't think it's deniable that the feel good vibe was enforced by the fact each and every Southend supporter was keen on Tilson and wanted him to succeed, and that works in the opposite way in that consecutive defeats and winless runs are met with more vociferous indignation now that an "outsider" is in charge.

Steve's relegation from league 1 was a travesty for him and the fans,Ron hung him out to dry by withholding player wages and the rest is history,First Ron fired Brushy with Tilly not far behind.Ron IMO is the main cause of unrest simply because on pitch we cannot compete even with smaller clubs thanks to the embargo.

Another great post :thumbsup:

Definitely a factor.

We all knew Tilson was here to stay and was part of the club, with Phil Brown we all know he will jump ship the first chance he gets. Thats fine, thats football, but we would all prefer someone more attached.

Back