• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Gateshead kicked out of playoffs

Why aren’t Southend getting a playoff place?

Only a fool would bet against us being around in ten years time.

IIRC Stevenage won the Conference in 1995/6 but were not allowed into the FL due to the ground not being up to standard . With Torquay keeping their place in the league (despite only winning 5 games all season)
There were rumours that Stevenage were going to cash in on their prolific striker , Barry Hayles, before the transfer deadline , and that Torquay had offered money to Stevenage not to sell him until the season was over , so that Stevenage would win the league , as opposed to Woking , whose ground was acceptable .

All those people who say football should decide promotion and nothing else - were you happy that we had to play at Oxford City?

There are a number of clubs in the NL with grounds that are not fit for the EFL- Wealdstone, Maidenhead plus some promoted sides and those who play on plastic.

So when the consortium take over and Elounda lease Roots Hall back to club (is that what’s happening?) they need to make sure that it’s watertight in terms of EFL compliance.

The leagues need to ensure that clubs balance investment between facilities and players.
Uhh, yeah.
Rough with the smooth when it comes to stadia and clubs.
I'm NOT in favour of clubs being denied promotion because someone decides they might be a financial risk in 10 years.
This is probably under most's radar, but in the Rugby Union Championship, the RFU has proposed entry to teams in towns of a certain size! No, really.
Yeah, the Championship are up in arms, but they've denied title winners Ealing Trailfinders three years in a row access to the Premiership, while so-called bigger clubs like Wasps went to the wall.
No promotion through merit; no interest from me. This is not the NFL, and long may it reign!

Wouldn’t ground share with Newcastle be a short term solution?
Yeah, thought that too.
So, asking those who matter up there; Newcastle don't want their pitch damaged.
I'm amazed at how little sympathy there is from those Magpie orientated at the plight of their neighbour.
I think even most fair-minded Zoners would baulk at the idea of Col Ewe going down or denied promotion because of their ground.

I would have let Gateshead continue to play but I can also see the sense in the current ruling.

If Gateshead did get to win the play-offs & were then "barred" questions would be raised about why they were allowed to continue & then there is the question of who should be promoted? The losing finalist? Or replay the final with the losing team & the team that lost to Gateshead.

It could go on & on. The only winners would probably be the lawyers that would be involved.
Stable door bolted after the horse etc
This should have been made clear on March 2. Were the EFL/NL fingering prayer beads in the hope Gateshead wouldn't make the play-offs?

IIRC Stevenage won the Conference in 1995/6 but were not allowed into the FL due to the ground not being up to standard . With Torquay keeping their place in the league (despite only winning 5 games all season)
There were rumours that Stevenage were going to cash in on their prolific striker , Barry Hayles, before the transfer deadline , and that Torquay had offered money to Stevenage not to sell him until the season was over , so that Stevenage would win the league , as opposed to Woking , whose ground was acceptable .

I seem to recall other instances in the last 25 years or so where the Conference champions were not allowed promotion?

And also this rule where some teams have balanced the books by having a 4G pitch to rent out, and then had to tear it up to appease the EFL (Sutton and Harrogate).

There's a lot of dross in the bottom half of League 2 that manage to survive each season because of 2 down rule. 3 of the top 7 in L2 have all come through the National League in the last 5 years.

It's very rare the promoted NL teams come straight back down again.

Any club which does not meet this criteria for promotion should not be in this awful league. Gateshead have deprived one other club of the chance of promotion.

Any club which does not meet this criteria for promotion should not be in this awful league. Gateshead have deprived one other club of the chance of promotion.
Correction, if I may. Their council: EFL and NL in that order, please.
The one other, btw, would be Aldershot based on final positions, and their ground also leaves a lot to be desired.
Ask anyone who's been.

They've deprived it by being better than them - so arguably the other team also didn't deserve to be promoted.

What they have done is given Alti an advantage of no longer having to play one game.

I think Gateshead should've been allowed to play the playoffs and deal with it if they won them (similar to how they, and other teams who do not meet EFL criteria have been allowed to compete throughout the season)

Time to stop moaning about the 10 points and the embargo for that matter. We've had a superb season all things considered, and just a few more points in the locker (regardless of the 10 points) and we would have made the play-offs. It wasn't to be this season, soon we go to next season, properly prepped and resourced and we can smash up this league for fun.

Time to stop moaning about the 10 points and the embargo for that matter. We've had a superb season all things considered, and just a few more points in the locker (regardless of the 10 points) and we would have made the play-offs. It wasn't to be this season, soon we go to next season, properly prepped and resourced and we can smash up this league for fun.
Indeed. - when are 24/25 fixtures released?

Back