• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Just got home from the fight. Have to admit no-one around me was expecting the word "NEW" when the winner was announced.

I am a bit biased though, as a Brisbane resident for 9 years now it was great to see a local lad shock one the of the all time great pound for pound fighters in front of 50,000 odd people. A cracking day out.

Well a bit of a shocking result there Jeff Horn beats Pacquiao by UD! It was a close fight but how one of the judges scored that 117-111 is beyond me. Maybe Pacquiao's senatorial duties halted his training and he was expecting a walk over for this one. Personally he should've given up after winning the title. End on a high, there is a rematch clause so expect a 2nd fight.

Well a bit of a shocking result there Jeff Horn beats Pacquiao by UD! It was a close fight but how one of the judges scored that 117-111 is beyond me. Maybe Pacquiao's senatorial duties halted his training and he was expecting a walk over for this one. Personally he should've given up after winning the title. End on a high, there is a rematch clause so expect a 2nd fight.

Haven't seen it yet, but I've read from various accounts that the decision was controversial? Pac looked past it, yet still did enough to edge a win, but has been robbed on the cards?

Nailed on rematch, but not sure what Pac is bothering for? It's as if he can't let go. He's got his career in politics mapped out, he's got enough money to last 10 lifetimes & has cemented his place in the Boxing Hall Of Fame. I agree with you, He should have retired after beating Bradley or Vargas. His days or competing at that elite level are finished, and I can't understand why after being to the top of the mountain, he wants to busy himself midway down the mountain.

Haven't seen it yet, but I've read from various accounts that the decision was controversial? Pac looked past it, yet still did enough to edge a win, but has been robbed on the cards?

Nailed on rematch, but not sure what Pac is bothering for? It's as if he can't let go. He's got his career in politics mapped out, he's got enough money to last 10 lifetimes & has cemented his place in the Boxing Hall Of Fame. I agree with you, He should have retired after beating Bradley or Vargas. His days or competing at that elite level are finished, and I can't understand why after being to the top of the mountain, he wants to busy himself midway down the mountain.

It was a closer fight than expected and Pac didn't really come into the game into the later rounds. It was one of those where it could've gone either way but personally I don't think he was robbed!

Let's face it we know he's not like Mayweather and it's all money driven to fill his garage full of cars and buy strip clubs. I do know he ploughed an absolute fortune into becoming senator so maybe he needs the boxing to fund that? Also I know he ploughs a lot of his own money into charities and building things for the poor in the Philippines. The Vargas win should've been the end for him. Maybe he just wanted that 60th win? I know the plan Bob Arum had was for him to come through this and face Crawford. Crawford destroys him and then it's like handing over the torch to the new guard.

It was a closer fight than expected and Pac didn't really come into the game into the later rounds. It was one of those where it could've gone either way but personally I don't think he was robbed!

Let's face it we know he's not like Mayweather and it's all money driven to fill his garage full of cars and buy strip clubs. I do know he ploughed an absolute fortune into becoming senator so maybe he needs the boxing to fund that? Also I know he ploughs a lot of his own money into charities and building things for the poor in the Philippines. The Vargas win should've been the end for him. Maybe he just wanted that 60th win? I know the plan Bob Arum had was for him to come through this and face Crawford. Crawford destroys him and then it's like handing over the torch to the new guard.

The result seems to have split opinion. I saw the video of Teddy Atlas going schizo which made me lol

No wonder Mike Tyson **** himself when Teddy pulled a gun on him, the guy looks a lunatic when he gets going.

The result seems to have split opinion. I saw the video of Teddy Atlas going schizo which made me lol

No wonder Mike Tyson **** himself when Teddy pulled a gun on him, the guy looks a lunatic when he gets going.

Teddy Atlas has a screw loose! It wasn't a robbery. The problem is people pay too much attention to the pundits and commentators who can sometimes be biast. One of the most interesting things is watching it with no commentary and making your own opinion of a fight. I have young children so had to watch it with the volume down so couldn't really hear it anyway.

Seems the local press here in Brisbane are quite enjoying the moans and groans about the decision, expecially from America.

As one local paper put it this morning "if the US has been suffering from drought recently they aren't any longer due to the tears flowing after this result".

Teddy Atlas has a screw loose! It wasn't a robbery. The problem is people pay too much attention to the pundits and commentators who can sometimes be biast. One of the most interesting things is watching it with no commentary and making your own opinion of a fight. I have young children so had to watch it with the volume down so couldn't really hear it anyway.

Like I said, I haven't seen it, but from the punch stats it's grim reading. Pac landed DOUBLE the shots Horn did. That's incredible. I can't remember the last time I saw a fight where the losing fighter had landed double the amount of the victor.

Fully agree about the commentary though. I've been saying the same for long enough. Thank **** Sky axed Nick Halling, one of the worst & most biased commentators I've ever had to listen to. I remember when he referred to Luke Campbell & Tommy Coyle as "both world level competitions". The ****ing prick

Seems the local press here in Brisbane are quite enjoying the moans and groans about the decision, expecially from America.

As one local paper put it this morning "if the US has been suffering from drought recently they aren't any longer due to the tears flowing after this result".

Thing is though, biased (and gloating) reporting, is all fun and games, but the result of this fight will just give the Aussies a bad name. It seems that the majority have called it a dodgy hometown decision, (again, I've not seen the fight) which will resonate with the rest of the worldwide Boxing community. There's numerous high profile pundits & former fighters ridiculing the result. So nights like last night, will become a once in a blue moon event. Big PPV, elite fighters & unification fights won't happen in Oz, if fighters, promoters & matchmakers don't think their fighter will get a fair fight. Same as Germany. Very rarely do you see unifications big names, or big fights out there, unless it's two Germans.

And again, whether the result was just or not, one judge gave Pac just 3 rounds. That's either incompetence, or fraudulent. Either way, any big names will know that not only do they have to overcome the opponent in the ring, they've gotta overcome the judges aswell.

Us Brits aren't exactly shining examples either. Anthony Joshua was gifted the Olympic gold medal, Ricky Burns has been saved on a couple of occasions, Bellew got gifted against Chilemba & Brook was lucky against Carson Jones. And look how many times we've had genuine elite level foreign fighters, grace our shores in the past 10 years.

He now needs to retire. Showed glimpses of brilliance in the 9th but fair play to Horn's corner to get him coming out on the front foot in the 10th. The fight was massive in HK. I had to get to a bar at 830 to reserve an area for 11 at £10 each (incl one drink). On the plus side it's in a bar where I get 24/7 happy hour prices and they deducted the drinks off the most expensive 11 on the tab. And the food is good, one of the best attempts here at a fry up. Also on the plus side most of the undercard was excellent including a cousin of Manny winning.

Like I said, I haven't seen it, but from the punch stats it's grim reading. Pac landed DOUBLE the shots Horn did. That's incredible. I can't remember the last time I saw a fight where the losing fighter had landed double the amount of the victor.

Fully agree about the commentary though. I've been saying the same for long enough. Thank **** Sky axed Nick Halling, one of the worst & most biased commentators I've ever had to listen to. I remember when he referred to Luke Campbell & Tommy Coyle as "both world level competitions". The ****ing prick

Thing is though, biased (and gloating) reporting, is all fun and games, but the result of this fight will just give the Aussies a bad name. It seems that the majority have called it a dodgy hometown decision, (again, I've not seen the fight) which will resonate with the rest of the worldwide Boxing community. There's numerous high profile pundits & former fighters ridiculing the result. So nights like last night, will become a once in a blue moon event. Big PPV, elite fighters & unification fights won't happen in Oz, if fighters, promoters & matchmakers don't think their fighter will get a fair fight. Same as Germany. Very rarely do you see unifications big names, or big fights out there, unless it's two Germans.

And again, whether the result was just or not, one judge gave Pac just 3 rounds. That's either incompetence, or fraudulent. Either way, any big names will know that not only do they have to overcome the opponent in the ring, they've gotta overcome the judges aswell.

Us Brits aren't exactly shining examples either. Anthony Joshua was gifted the Olympic gold medal, Ricky Burns has been saved on a couple of occasions, Bellew got gifted against Chilemba & Brook was lucky against Carson Jones. And look how many times we've had genuine elite level foreign fighters, grace our shores in the past 10 years.

Yeah, but two judges were American and one from Argentina so don't see how they have Aussie bias. Plus seen some (non Aussie) respected boxing writers defend the decision.

i am no expert though, from my seat in the stands I thought Manny shaded it but was very happy with the decision. A great experience all round though.

I had Pac winning by 4 rounds. Teddy's card was pretty close to spot on from what I saw. Horn got the decision from being the local boy and pressing forward a lot - he didn't win by landing punches. Great to see a free fight on US TV.

I had Pac winning by 4 rounds. Teddy's card was pretty close to spot on from what I saw. Horn got the decision from being the local boy and pressing forward a lot - he didn't win by landing punches. Great to see a free fight on US TV.

I had Horn winning by 2 rounds.

Can't agree with you or Bunce there mate - his dismissal of punch stats doesn't really sit well with me. I saw Horn coming forward and missing a lot - I don't see how that wins you a fight.

Judges' opinions seem to vary, depending on what they prefer. Aggression is sometimes prevalent to actual shots. Which to me seems ****ing dumb, considering the art of the sport is to hit, and not get hit.

By all means, those arbitrary factors such as aggression, ring generalship & movement, should come into effect, if the round is too close to split. But like you, I can't agree with any judge awarding a round for aggression over actual shots landed.

Yeah, but two judges were American and one from Argentina so don't see how they have Aussie bias. Plus seen some (non Aussie) respected boxing writers defend the decision.

Because if it's the same as over here, or in America, the judges would have been appointed by the relevant governing body. I.e. the Australian National Boxing Federation. IF, the judges were bent, or simply just incompetent, then that is the fault of the governing body. It is their job to appoint credible & competent staff. Obviously failure to do so, makes the governing body look suspect, or incompetent, themselves.

Unfortunately, their reputation with the Boxing community around the world, has just taken a hit. Half the people say it was a robbery, half say it wasn't. It really is irrelevant whether it was a robbery or not now, because unfortunately as we know all too well in this world, most allegations/insinuations cannot be forgotten, even if there is absolutely no truth to them.

Anyway, how was the atmosphere? Did you have good seats? Personally I've given up on stadium fights. Although, I wouldn't turn my nose up at ringside seats.
[/QUOTE]

Because if it's the same as over here, or in America, the judges would have been appointed by the relevant governing body. I.e. the Australian National Boxing Federation. IF, the judges were bent, or simply just incompetent, then that is the fault of the governing body. It is their job to appoint credible & competent staff. Obviously failure to do so, makes the governing body look suspect, or incompetent, themselves.

Unfortunately, their reputation with the Boxing community around the world, has just taken a hit. Half the people say it was a robbery, half say it wasn't. It really is irrelevant whether it was a robbery or not now, because unfortunately as we know all too well in this world, most allegations/insinuations cannot be forgotten, even if there is absolutely no truth to them.

Anyway, how was the atmosphere? Did you have good seats? Personally I've given up on stadium fights. Although, I wouldn't turn my nose up at ringside seats.

it was the first ever pro fight I've been to. Seats were fine but yeah, I was in the stands of a 50k plus stadium watching a fight where the centre circle would be so not exactly on top of the action.

The atmosphere was brilliant though. It's where I go to watch football and the stadium is nicknamed 'The Cauldron' and the acoustics are great so when the crowd gets loud it is fantastic. Plus you spill out of the stadium and there's a street full of bars (Caxton Street) and that was absolutely buzzing afterwards, just a great day all round. As an experience at a sporting event it's up there with the best when you take into account seeing the local boy upset the world to become World Champion.

Absolutely BAKING hot though (even though it's our winter). If they are talking about a rematch in November you could almost double the temperature and have humidity at 90% or more. Especially as the timing of it for US television (the fight started at 1-30pm local time) would mean it's in the hottest part of the day.

I had Horn winning by 2 rounds.

Finally got round to watching the fight. I scored it 115-113 in favour of Pac.

Three of the rounds were incredibly hard to split, but In two of them I just preferred Pac's technical ability & meaningful punches landed, compared to Horn's aggression.

Just how Horn's dirty tactics went unpunished is anyone's guess. He could & should have been deducted at least 2 points, but you can make a case for as many as four.

I thought Horn was wild & erratic throughout. He was trying to lead with the right hook, which Pac telegraphed repeatedly, but instead of changing this line of attack, he persisted with it & when he inevitably missed, just grabbed Pac in a Headlock. He hasn't mastered the basic of boxing behind a jab yet. It didn't help that it was the age-old disruption of southpaw vs orthodox either. Both of their lead feet kept getting tangled, which was made ten-times worse with Horn jumping in.The other thing hat I couldn't understand, was his 100mph tempo, that he set from the first bell. For that tactic to work, you have to be able to continue it for more than 12-rounds, but he clearly lost that after 5-6 rounds. His aggression reminded me of a pound-shop Ricky Hatton TBH. Lots of heart, good (not great) energy, but not enough skill or finesse, like Hatton had.

Thought Pac looked a yard off the pace. The decline is there for all to see. For his own health, he's got no business getting involved in brutal 12-round wars. Pac has always been a thinker, and you could see he was trying to manoeuvre Horn around the ring, to line him up for the short left check-hook, but he was either out of ideas, or totally unable to outsmart Horn's wild style.

As for the judge who could only give Pac 3 rounds... Well. Incompetence or fraudulent, are the only two possibilities there.

it was the first ever pro fight I've been to. Seats were fine but yeah, I was in the stands of a 50k plus stadium watching a fight where the centre circle would be so not exactly on top of the action.

The atmosphere was brilliant though. It's where I go to watch football and the stadium is nicknamed 'The Cauldron' and the acoustics are great so when the crowd gets loud it is fantastic. Plus you spill out of the stadium and there's a street full of bars (Caxton Street) and that was absolutely buzzing afterwards, just a great day all round. As an experience at a sporting event it's up there with the best when you take into account seeing the local boy upset the world to become World Champion.

Absolutely BAKING hot though (even though it's our winter). If they are talking about a rematch in November you could almost double the temperature and have humidity at 90% or more. Especially as the timing of it for US television (the fight started at 1-30pm local time) would mean it's in the hottest part of the day.

Glad you enjoyed it. There's always something special about watching World Title Fights live, involving big names.

I can't see how they could put it on at that time, during the winter months. I'd have thought it'd be too dangerous

When I was living in Australia, all the hype was around Anthony Mundine and his was quite a story being a top Rugby league player then being a WBA world champ. I honestly don't think I'd have ever heard of the guy if I hadn't been living out there though, nobody I know in the UK has heard of him. Got me wondering if the same would be true for some british champions? Would the rest of the world know or care?

When I was living in Australia, all the hype was around Anthony Mundine and his was quite a story being a top Rugby league player then being a WBA world champ. I honestly don't think I'd have ever heard of the guy if I hadn't been living out there though, nobody I know in the UK has heard of him. Got me wondering if the same would be true for some british champions? Would the rest of the world know or care?

Think even the Aussie's are putting someone like Mundine into context with Horn and what he's done beating someone of the level of Pacquiao. Not even in the same league.

Back