• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

When I was living in Australia, all the hype was around Anthony Mundine and his was quite a story being a top Rugby league player then being a WBA world champ. I honestly don't think I'd have ever heard of the guy if I hadn't been living out there though, nobody I know in the UK has heard of him. Got me wondering if the same would be true for some british champions? Would the rest of the world know or care?

Althogh it's impossible to speak for other boxing fans, in other nations, I'd say you've got a good point, and that it's highly unlikely our domestic fighters will be (well) known around the world.

I think that in order to become a global star, you have to make a name for yourself/or stand out from the crowd. And there are various ways you can do that, but whatever you do, you obviously must be talented. For example;

Pacman will have one last fight before he retires ,He wants a rematch with Horn ,but he wants his last fight to be in front of his own people here in the Philippines , now i wonder if Horn has the balls to come fight Pacman in his own backyard, i doubt it very much.As for the result Pacman himself says Horn is not that good ,he is a dirty fighter but praised his tactics,he said he could go along with 2 of the judges but the other judge who scored it 117-111 he believes should be investigated.story of the tape had Pacman landing over twice a smany punches on horn as horn landed on Pacman.Pacman does believe he won the fight but has to accept the judges decision.Thats boxing.

Ricey, did you go to Frank's show at the Copperbox this evening? Sure I remember you saying you had tickets? If so, I hope you got out in one piece.

I've said it before & I'll say it again, Frank Warren's shows have always been & always will be, utterly lawless.

Ricey, did you go to Frank's show at the Copperbox this evening? Sure I remember you saying you had tickets? If so, I hope you got out in one piece.

I've said it before & I'll say it again, Frank Warren's shows have always been & always will be, utterly lawless.

I did indeed!! My first experience of a Frank Warren show wasn't the best. But in his defence it was down to West Ham fans that caused the trouble. I can see in future him putting a ban on football colours similar to what Matchroom have.

A brief summary of everything else before I get onto the mass brawl that pretty much spoilt the night.

Saw Gary Corcoran win and then he tried to kick off afterwards with Liam Williams and a fight outside the ring nearly kicked off. Williams vs Smyle was an excellent fight it was exactly like the first one a real brawl with some stunning rounds! Daniel Doubois knocked out his Ukrainian taxi driver in quick time but was impressive to watch and will definietly be one for the future. Bradley Skeete fought to win the British welterweight title outright. He completely put boxed Dale Evans the guy just couldn't get near Skeete. Skeete boxed clever but also a not very exciting bout but a win none the less. Now time to catch up with Eggington and move up a level to European. The main event Anthony Yarde fighting for the WBO light heavyweight European title. Yarde is huge! He's an absolute just like his nickname BEAST! I really think this guy is going to be a real talent and he will end up rising through to world level when the like of Kovalev and Ward have either given up or at the end of their careers so the division could be his. He KO'd Baranyi in the 1st in stunning fashion to claim the belt. He looked sharp and almost a class above Baranyi who stood no chance with Yarde's imposing size and power causing issues from the first bell. Finally they brought Hughie Fury and Joseph Parker into the ring to announce their fight and I managed to get down and have a photo with Fury and a chat. A really nice guy who had all the time in the world for his fans and was taking pictures for ages. Looks in good shape and is absolutely ****ing massive!

Now onto the unfortunate events that ruined the evening. From the moment we got there the crowd would from time to time start chanting West Ham songs. I put this down to its close proximity to the Olympic Stadium. What I didn't realise was one of the fighters Sam Mcness is a West Ham fan. He was fighting Asinia Byfield now Byfield's fans were giving the West Ham fans a bit of stick. It just looked your normal rivalry, the odd chanting and ****** signs. The fight kicks off Mcness does alright to start but into the middle rounds really starts taking a pasting. The ref should've stopped it as he was getting a battering and it took for McNess's team to throw in the towel for the fight to be stopped. Byfield started to celebrate in front of the West Ham fans and then Byfield's fans followed suit. The West Ham fans then decided to storm the Byfield fans and a mass brawl erupted! The security guards could do nothing there was a good hundred people involved and if you look on twitter plenty of videos of the brawl. I was luckily up on the 2nd tier so just watched the events unfold. The scary and embarrassing about it was there was children and women which some were pregnant down there no doubt getting caught up. The West Ham ***** had obviously come for a tear up and wanted that from the off. Fair play to the security team they managed to stop it eventually but it took a lot of effort and the fights kept kicking off and halted the event for a good 10 to 15 minutes. I've got a short video of one guy knocking out another which I will try and post up later. I've seen fighting in the crowds at every boxing event I've been too but this was next level ****! As one of the guys in the ring said 'THIS IS BOXING NOT FOOTBALL' and those West Ham and Byfield fans ruined what was an enjoyable evening. After that point the shut all the bars son now because those drunken bellends who came for a fight no one else could enjoy a beer with the remainder of the fights.

I know you've said this happens a lot at Frank Warren events but this was a mass brawl and not something that was expected. Frank needs to ban football colours for a start! That doesn't help the situation and hopefully he will have the police filming teams in like they do at the football. Catching these idiots and banning them for life.

I'd guesstimate I've been to probably 20ish Warren shows over the years, and it's always the same. Granted the brawl last night was probably worse, in terms of what I've seen IN the arena, but is absolutely par for the course, for what happens in and around the concourse areas.

2008, Haye vs Enzo Mac at The O2, was like a scene out of an old western. I'd say there was 50-odd geezers brawling & rolling around the floor. When the old bill arrived to seperate it all, there was one male copper, and one woman copper, which of course, they were as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike, and for some reason loads of people started chucking their drinks at the old bill.

2009(?) Haye vs Monte Barrett at the O2, again, skirmishes everywhere, including inside the arena, due to people nicking other people's seats, and the stewards pretty much refusing to get involved. Also, back then you couldn't drink alcohol within view of the boxing (same as football), but hundreds were smuggling drinks into the seating area. One over zealous security guy got sparked for his troubles of trying to martial it, which lead to more trouble. Also that night, another memorable moment, there was maybe 40-50 people in one of the toilets in the concourse area, and everyone of them (including myself) were smoking. A security guard, who stood about 5"2, strolled in & proclaimed that it was a no smoking venue & everyone would have to put their fags out, or they'd be thrown out. He was quickly told to go about his business else where, and recieved a few drinks hurled his way.

2011ish Groves vs Smith & Ricky Burns vs Katsidis, Wembley arena. finished very late, there were no trains running & no taxis about. Thousands of p1ssed up guys trying to get home, but confined to a reletively small area is always gunna be volatile. Standing by the rail replacement bus stop, was incredible. There were fights at the bus stop, fights in the road & fights across the road.

2013 Eubank vs Saunders & Tyson Fury vs Dereck Chiosra II, maybe the most lacsidasical security & police presence of any event I've ever been to. I'd say there were maybe 20 old bill, and 100 security guys to police 18,000, many of whom were travellers who wanted to stage their own events in and around The Excel

Those are the ones off the top of my head, which I consider to be the worst of what I've seen.

Last edited:
Oh I know it goes on, I've seen it at every event I've been too. This went on for ages and halted the whole proceedings. Byfield didn't even get to celebrate his win, they didn't even announce his win. It went on for a good 10-15 mins and no doubt spilled outside. There was a lot of bloody tissues lying on the floor outside. A real shame because up until that point it had been a good note.

On another note it was great to see Ohara Davies get his mouth well and truly shut by Josh Taylor. Anyone that has people from the Only way is Essex in their entourage deserves to get their head kicked in!

Just watched the Mayweather-McGregor press conference from Toronto. Jesus, McGregor knows how to hype a fight!

Just watched the Mayweather-McGregor press conference from Toronto. Jesus, McGregor knows how to hype a fight!

Hyping a fight is not going to give him the skill in the ring! All this McGregor won this press conference, who gives a ****? He's getting destroyed in the ring and that's all that matters. The sooner this circus is over the better because I'm bored of it and all the deluded bellends already.

Hyping a fight is not going to give him the skill in the ring! All this McGregor won this press conference, who gives a ****? He's getting destroyed in the ring and that's all that matters. The sooner this circus is over the better because I'm bored of it and all the deluded bellends already.

Excuses are being made already, McGregor saying this isn't a proper fight and with all the rules and restrictions it's quarter of a fight and all the stuff about the gloves. He's got to hype up the fight for the payday but he has his excuses there already! It's a circus you are right but sometimes the circus is fun. Think this Frankie Boyle tweet sums it up:

"I think someone trying to beat possibly history's best defensive boxer purely by being a mad **** is actually beautiful" :hilarious:

Excuses are being made already, McGregor saying this isn't a proper fight and with all the rules and restrictions it's quarter of a fight and all the stuff about the gloves. He's got to hype up the fight for the payday but he has his excuses there already! It's a circus you are right but sometimes the circus is fun. Think this Frankie Boyle tweet sums it up:

"I think someone trying to beat possibly history's best defensive boxer purely by being a mad **** is actually beautiful" :hilarious:

It needs to be hyped because there is no fight there what so ever. They need to fill it full of genuine fights on the undercard because those who pay the silly money for the PPV will be hugely disappointed. And let's be honest all the casuals who will be watching this probably won't even watch the undercard.

The real fight is 4 weeks after, Canelo vs GGG they don't need to hype that fight. Their skills in the ring have sold that fight and anyone with an ounce of boxing knowledge knows this is the fight of the year!

Let's be honest, in the fight game, it's this kind of stuff that grabs our interest. It's pretty irrelevant whether McGregor stands a chance or not, this mismatch fight, is just fantasy entertainment & that's how I'm treating it. The press conference was excellent for entertainment, and goes down as one of the best in recent years.

It's a circus you are right but sometimes the circus is fun

Couldn't have put it better myself. You've got to accept it for what it is, sit back & enjoy it, and not take it too seriously.

Couldn't have put it better myself. You've got to accept it for what it is, sit back & enjoy it, and not take it too seriously.

No this is where I disagree. This is being billed as a boxing match! If it were an exhibition match then yes I wouldn't take it seriously and would sit back and enjoy it. The fact that it's a genuine fight and it will be counted as Mayweather's 50th win doesn't sit well with me.

No this is where I disagree. This is being billed as a boxing match! If it were an exhibition match then yes I wouldn't take it seriously and would sit back and enjoy it. The fact that it's a genuine fight and it will be counted as Mayweather's 50th win doesn't sit well with me.

I see what you're saying, and you've got a point about the 50th fight, but this fight has to be classed as an exhibition, as It has no effect on current rankings, it doesn't affect any titles, and doesn't disrupt other fighters. It is just a fantasy exhibition bout.

The point about the 50th fight is hard to argue, so the only way I can look at it, is Floyd has fought plenty of Hall of Famers, & plenty of top P4P guys. He's earned his stripes, and I can't begrudge him this fight, which is set to make more money from this opponent, than any current boxer could.

On top of that, which current 147lb fighter would really test Mayweather? Thurman would be the only opponent I could think of, who could unsettle Mayweather, but he still doesn't beat him. Errol Spence? No. Garcia? **** no.

From a boxing purity standpoint, I can understand why this fight is an abomination. But after reflection, from an entertainment standpoint, this fight doesn't hurt anyone, and doesn't deserve the condemnation it's recieved. If two fighters, want to fight, and it doesn't affect anyone else, and they earn eye-watering amounts of cash, then who are we to judge them?

I see what you're saying, and you've got a point about the 50th fight, but this fight has to be classed as an exhibition, as It has no effect on current rankings, it doesn't affect any titles, and doesn't disrupt other fighters. It is just a fantasy exhibition bout.

The point about the 50th fight is hard to argue, so the only way I can look at it, is Floyd has fought plenty of Hall of Famers, & plenty of top P4P guys. He's earned his stripes, and I can't begrudge him this fight, which is set to make more money from this opponent, than any current boxer could.

On top of that, which current 147lb fighter would really test Mayweather? Thurman would be the only opponent I could think of, who could unsettle Mayweather, but he still doesn't beat him. Errol Spence? No. Garcia? **** no.

From a boxing purity standpoint, I can understand why this fight is an abomination. But after reflection, from an entertainment standpoint, this fight doesn't hurt anyone, and doesn't deserve the condemnation it's recieved. If two fighters, want to fight, and it doesn't affect anyone else, and they earn eye-watering amounts of cash, then who are we to judge them?

All very valid points and I know this is nothing about the fight. It's about the build up and the money they both will be making. I would've liked to have seen him fight Thurman or even Crawford who I know is looking to move up. Obviously the plans for him changed after Pacquiao's loss to Horn.

Maybe my hatred towards McGregor and him being a hype Job shades my opinion on the whole 'fight'. The bloke isn't even in the same league as Mayweather in UFC terms. He's not classed as one of the greatest ever he got destroyed by Diaz and IMO he lost the second fight too. But as we know scores can be controlled to suite the monetary gain of the promotors and organisers. With a McGregor vs Diaz 3 probably on the cards after this circus.

I don't condone it, I don't like it, I won't pay for it! But one thing is I will watch it just to see that gobby Irish prick put back in his box.

It's been a little quiet on here with the quieter period, so I thought I would keep people up to speed with the big bits going on.

They have drawn the super series fights with the favourites picking their opponents. The most exciting of the lot is the all English affair between super middleweight world champion George Groves and recently signed by Matchroom Jamie Cox. You also have Chris Eubank Jr (more on him later) and my personal favourite Callum Smith. They also have a full roster of cruiserweights with im pretty sure every belt on the line. Shame Bellew moved up as this would've been a good tournament for him to enter. Although Usyk would steamroller him and make him look very average.

Chris Eubank Jr had yet another PPV fight at least this time it was against a known opponent. A very old known opponent and someone on the way down Arthur Abraham. It was a £16.95 fight which is an absolute joke, the undercard was alright but still nowhere near worth that amount! Lee Selby was on the undercard and defended his belt four days after his mother passed away. He fought against Barros the guy he was supposed to fight in Vegas who pulled out before the fight! Selby looked good but needs to get himself a big fight and not play second fiddle to a guy who has a chocolate world title. Selby is the IBF world champ! Eubank Jr looked good against Abraham but unfortaunely Abraham helped to make him look good by being a former shadow of himself. The guy can take a punch but brought nothing to the fight and a very clear loser on that night. I think I gave him 2 rounds and that's me being generous. This win gave Eubank Jr a place in the super series and a chance to really prove himself. No missing pens or ducking fights. It will be interesting to see how he gets on. To me he loses to Smith and will struggle against Groves. We shall see over the next year or so if he makes it past his first fight :winking:

Tonight I was looking forward to seeing Carl Frampton back in the ring! Yesterday brought controversy after Frampton failed to make weight being 1lb over the limit thus losing his chance to become mandatory for the WBC belt! What's even more embarrassing about missing weight is that this is his 3rd fight since moving up so he shouldn't struggle too hard to make weight! Massively disappointing but still the fight and all the undercard bouts were due to carry on. Then I wake up this morning and his opponent Gutiérrez slipped in the shower and suffered two nasty cuts. This caused them to postpone the fight, but they didn't just postpone the fight they postponed the whole card. A very disappointing evening for me but there is still a great fight in the early hours.

Broner vs Garcia airs in the early hours and looks to be a really exciting fight. Broner looked good and came in nearly 2lbs under the limit which is great for a guy who often messes around and misses weight. He seems to have really knuckled down and wants to prove to everyone he is the real deal. Unfortaunely he isn't going to do that against Mickey Garcia who is an exceptional fighter and will be fighting to push himself well up those p4p ratings. My money is on Garcia via a late KO!

Onto the Fury family! Now we will save the best for last... starting with Fury training seems to be going well for his fight against Parker. He got very heated and aimed a lot of anger towards the cockroach Eddie Hearn for planning Parker vs Joshua plans completely ignoring the fact that Fury could and hopefully will win. 23rd Sept at MEN we will have our answer and hopefully a new British heavyweight world champ.

Staying with the Fury's Hughie was down at David Haye's gym doing sparring with David Haye's new signing Joe Joyce. He's signed a load of fighters under his Hayemaker Ringstar promotions and will be having more free fights shown on Dave. Now this whole Hughie and Peter Fury down at Haye's gym upset another Fury. Who posted the picture along with some not very nice words about the fact they were in Tyson's arch enemies gym. Shortly after that Tyson once again announced his retirement from boxing! So we are back to this again, he hasn't been in the gym for a very long time and still looks very large. A dying shame, he claims he is mentally healthy but has just had enough and doesn't want to box. He's happy with what he has achieved. I hope this isn't the end as we all want to see the Tyson from 2015 back in the ring again and Fury vs Joshua is the ultimate fight!

Couple of fights got announced recently, the domestic dust up Liam Williams and Liam Smith had that ended in controversy with a headbutt from Smith causing Williams a nasty cut on his eye. They've announced they will have the rematch with it being later in the year. Anthony Yarde will fight Hosea Burton with the opportunity to fight Frank Buglioni if he wins. Although Yarde and Frank Warren disagree and think they should not have to fight Burton and should get a shot at Buglioni.

Finally as I'm getting tired and forgetful but I've saved the best and most stupid until last!

Our good friend at Matchroom has secured a fight for Luke Campbell against Jorge Linares! Luke Campbell the guy who we are still waiting for him to show us what he's made of being chucked in with a truly elite fight. He made Crolla look like an amateur TWICE! Crolla would walk all over Campbell it's going to be a very short night for Linares. But hey ho we know Eddie loves a good mismatch and no doubt it will cost the paying public a fortune to watch!

For those of you who are genuinely interested and want weekly updates on boxing. Have a listen to The Boxhard Podcast, it's a very good podcast that gives full reviews, previews and has great guests every Thursday.

Very convincing win by Mikey Garcia this morning. He has Broner in his pocket for the first 7 rounds and Broner left it too late to come into the fight. Broner is known for being stronger in the later rounds but he just couldn't outbox Garcia who looked a class above. A great win for Garcia and it opens up more options for him and gives us the chance to see some great fights. If Crawford stays at light welter that would be an excellent fight. Unfortunately after the Indongo fight he will most likely move up. I wouldn't mind seeing Garcia fight Indongo! And could see him fighting Garcia whether he beats Crawford or not.

There is also talk of him moving up to welter in the not to distant future where all the big names are. I think he would be best off staying at light welter for a year or so before moving up. Crawford or Indongo will unify the division on the 19th of August. Garcia's next move will come after what the winner of that fight decides to do.

Very convincing win by Mikey Garcia this morning. He has Broner in his pocket for the first 7 rounds and Broner left it too late to come into the fight. Broner is known for being stronger in the later rounds but he just couldn't outbox Garcia who looked a class above. A great win for Garcia and it opens up more options for him and gives us the chance to see some great fights. If Crawford stays at light welter that would be an excellent fight. Unfortunately after the Indongo fight he will most likely move up. I wouldn't mind seeing Garcia fight Indongo! And could see him fighting Garcia whether he beats Crawford or not.

There is also talk of him moving up to welter in the not to distant future where all the big names are. I think he would be best off staying at light welter for a year or so before moving up. Crawford or Indongo will unify the division on the 19th of August. Garcia's next move will come after what the winner of that fight decides to do.

I was on baby duty last night, so was able to watch this live - was punch perfect from Garcia. Broner really needs to decide what he wants to do, he looked like a beaten man in the corner after the fourth, and like you said, only really threw the dice a couple of times in desperation in the championship rounds. Looking forward to seeing Garcia get some really big fights now.

I was on baby duty last night, so was able to watch this live - was punch perfect from Garcia. Broner really needs to decide what he wants to do, he looked like a beaten man in the corner after the fourth, and like you said, only really threw the dice a couple of times in desperation in the championship rounds. Looking forward to seeing Garcia get some really big fights now.

Haha!! My son got me up early hours, was going to record it and watch later but watched it live because of him.

Who would you like to see him against? The two that spring out to me is Crawford or Lomachenko.

Back