• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If this was a school report I would give a C, C+ max. We have supposedly a good manager, and a good set of players in a league which looks poorer than past seasons. Brown has been able to sign new players (loaness and perms) , he has increased the size of the backroom team compared to previous managers. The training ground has had money spent on it and the players are we beleive being paid on time . In other words everything is positive . Ok the stadium is still just out of reach, but that has been the same for every manager here.

The play is on the whole dull and there is a sense that he is not getting the best out of his players. I honestly believe that if we had an 'average' league 2 keeper we would be in a far worse position that we are now. I am somewhat depressed that we are unable to score as many goals as we should, and that this has been a common theme throughout the season. I know we have had injury issues- but that's totally normal and hardly makes us unique. The style of play is boring for the most part at home and their are few players who seem capable to turn a game (maybe its Brown not the players).

On the plus side we are in 6th and only 5 points of top and no doubt someone will tell me that 18 teams would like to swap positions with us. My issue is that I can't see what is going to happen to improve things , and if we do make the playoffs what is going to happen which gives me the confidence that we will go up. let me put it another way, if the season stopped now would you feel confident rather than hopeful that we were going to make it to Wembley - and maybe league 1?

If this was a school report I would give a C, C+ max. We have supposedly a good manager, and a good set of players in a league which looks poorer than past seasons. Brown has been able to sign new players (loaness and perms) , he has increased the size of the backroom team compared to previous managers. The training ground has had money spent on it and the players are we beleive being paid on time . In other words everything is positive . Ok the stadium is still just out of reach, but that has been the same for every manager here.

The play is on the whole dull and there is a sense that he is not getting the best out of his players. I honestly believe that if we had an 'average' league 2 keeper we would be in a far worse position that we are now. I am somewhat depressed that we are unable to score as many goals as we should, and that this has been a common theme throughout the season. I know we have had injury issues- but that's totally normal and hardly makes us unique. The style of play is boring for the most part at home and their are few players who seem capable to turn a game (maybe its Brown not the players).

On the plus side we are in 6th and only 5 points of top and no doubt someone will tell me that 18 teams would like to swap positions with us. My issue is that I can't see what is going to happen to improve things , and if we do make the playoffs what is going to happen which gives me the confidence that we will go up. let me put it another way, if the season stopped now would you feel confident rather than hopeful that we were going to make it to Wembley - and maybe league 1?

Very good response.

i too think we lack the swagger and style to be even considered as top three,if we had the play offs next week and considering our woeful record against the better teams I would have little faith in us progressing .

Very good response.

i too think we lack the swagger and style to be even considered as top three,if we had the play offs next week and considering our woeful record against the better teams I would have little faith in us progressing .

I, on the other hand, would really fancy our chances. It's all about opinions I guess and we are due some proper play-off luck. Nobody fancied us against Man U and look what happened. That's the beauty of following the Blues, you just never know what will happen.

Again as I said in another thread. This " goal scorer " requirement is a myth , Tilly got us promoted from this league via the pay offs and who did he have up front ..........? that's right, Sir Freddy !

Tilly's team couldn't defend and apparently Browns team can't score and yet we are there or there abouts !

Let's put ourselves in the shoes of a team that has scored more than us, ie most teams. How ever most of these teams are beNeath us ! This league is not based on phone votes for entertainment it is based on results pure and simple and if we don't lose another game and get promoted because we have won the occasional game 1-0 , I will take that !

Very good response.

But you wouldn't be there to "support" us because Brown was in charge !

Again my question. How would you mark Tilly's season ? The one that got us promoted from this league (again for the short memory people - via the play offs - with Freddy Eastwood, the awesome striker we all apparently crave)

From the games I've seen recently we lack a bit of 'nous' or composure in front of goal and this applies to most of the players. We seem to want to blast or walk the ball into the net. There was also a great example at Cambridge of a cross coming in and 3 of our players were at the same level so when the ball was scuffed clear there was no one ready to pounce as they were all goal side. This needs to be identified by coaching staff and addressed, but nothing seems to change.

Again my question. How would you mark Tilly's season ? The one that got us promoted from this league (again for the short memory people - via the play offs - with Freddy Eastwood, the awesome striker we all apparently crave)

I really don';t get any of your points
'again my question' when did you ask me the first time?
How would I mark TIlly's season? sorry- I am a short memory person and can not recall how I felt in December 10 years ago- can you. At the end of the season clearly it was A*- whats your point?
The freddie Eastwood comments- I genuinely don't understand your point. You also state that Tillys side could not defend, yet we had the third best goals against -- together with the third best scoring record. So going into the play offs we had the best scoring record and the best defensive records of the teams we would be playing, and a striker banging them in for fun. Today with have only one of those three. I don't see how today team compares. Although I agree with you on the 'goal scorer ' requirement is a myth , I don't see your logic in using a season where we got promoted with a 20+ goals striker as evidence of this. Apologies if I am missing something.

Pretty fair all round assesment

We won't be making the automatics.

We'll do well to hang onto a playoff spot.

Of course this could all change from January if we can bring a goalscorer in.

However, what really worries me is the lack of creativity and genuine chances coming from our midfield players.Plus Bolger is crap.

Come what may, I'll be over in April for our last home game to see us play Luton,who I imagine will already be promoted by then.

Should be top three by now with these players however we have the most ridiculous manager making all the wrong decisions that will probably put us top ten at best in a very poor league. Get rid of him now for certain promotion with anyone with half a clue!
I am not a Brown fan but how can he change much? Corr has no pace so if you play him, you get him doing what he does at present. Barnard is a spent force, Weston is a young player lacking confidence as crowd gets on his back. Hurst and Leonard are not what they were in past seasons, injuries have prevented a regular back 4. Timlin has suffered from injuries. Payne is good but is young so not consistent.
Tell me what changes we could make?:smile:

Given that Grimes has gone to Swansea, Cowan-Hall to Millwall and no one is coming after any of our players... are we in fact best placed to kick on after Jan?

I can't envisage a situation where we don't have him until at least the end of the season. Even if that means he's loaned back to us. He has enough time on his contract for the club to have SOME negotiating power with potential buyers.

Meanwhile, back in the real world ........ sorry to sound sarcastic and I hope I am proved wrong but if he (Bentley) is going, then perhaps he should just go? The length of his contract possibly equals a bigger fee and not much else I suspect.

If Dan goes then he will want/need to be playing every week; not many prem sides need a 1st choice keeper and those at the top of the Champs don't either so without a buyer why would we be a seller?
It is good that young Smith is working with the squad and getting used to the match build up etc but the worry might be more that he will need to go and get proper bench or reserve games.

Clubs will always try to conduct their business as quickly as possible to avoid being gazumped. The fact that a) we're still at the rumours stage and b) Ted Smith hasn't been given any first team football yet would lead me to believe that the club are confident of keeping him until at least the summer.

All our other players haven't been performing to last season's levels and we're STILL 1 point better off. Without a club record unbeaten run again surely we should be pleased with the position we're in?! (notwithstanding performances at RH:whistling:)

Ted Smith still looks like a kid to me. Doesn't mean he can't do a job but I wouldn't of minded him having a few more mince pies over Christmas. a loan move may be a good one

Half way through the season and we are reasonably placed but we really need to sign two or more players particularly in the positions that PB mentions, Centre Back and a striker. The squad we have at present clearly does not have enough goals in it, additions are needed.

Half way through the season and we are reasonably placed but we really need to sign two or more players particularly in the positions that PB mentions, Centre Back and a striker. The squad we have at present clearly does not have enough goals in it, additions are needed.

I think we have the squad, we're just not getting enough out of the players. Midfielders aren't chipping in with goals and we aren't varying our attacking play.

Back