• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A Century United

Firewalking for HD
If I'd never heard of Steve Tilson,

I wouldn't have had to waste my money going to Cardiff three times.
I wouldn't have had to watch them play at the Millenium Stadium for over 5 hours before the rubbish he calls a team scored.
I wouldn't have been abused by Carlisle fans when we beat them there.
I wouldn't have wasted my money going to Grimsby.
I wouldn't have had to spend so much to get to the Bristol City game to see us win some tin pot trophy.
I wouldn't have had to get all emotional for The Goat's last game.
I wouldn't have had to pay inflated Championship prices.
I wouldn't have to put up with all these new fans who insist on coming.
I wouldn't have had to put up with being abused for having a Traveller for a striker.
I wouldn't have had to endure Roots Hall's sacred turf being sullied by the boots of Ronaldo.

I miss league two. :(

I wouldn't have had to watch them play at the Millenium Stadium for over 5 hours before the rubbish he calls a team scored.
I wouldn't have had to spend so much to get to the Bristol City game to see us win some tin pot trophy.
I wouldn't have had to put up with being abused for having a Traveller for a striker.
I wouldn't have had to endure Roots Hall's sacred turf being sullied by the boots of Ronaldo.

No-one is questioning the achievements of Sir Steve or thanking him for the great memories of the last three years. There are plenty starting to question what has happened over the last 12 months or so.

If you had the option of a 4-3-3 line up with Wayne Gray, Goater and even the much-overrated Freddy versus any forward we've had since name one that would knock any of these three out of a starting berth ? Is this the same Wayne Gray that scored something like 20 goals in around 60 games for us including the one against Bristol City in the Goat farewell. The same Wayne Gray that wanted the comfort of a contract we were not prepared to offer him ? Compare that to the standard of forwards we have signed since, the lengths of contract on offer and, I wouldn't mind betting, the wages on the table.

In the centre of defence we've had a combination of Sodje, Edwards and Prior alongside one other defender in recent seasons. Seasoned campaigners each with their own faults but all virtually unbeatable in the air. Again each would get a starting berth before any of the current crop (even the much loved AB).

We have less of a problem in midfield, thank god, because it's mostly their contribution we have to thank, plus the goals from a loan striker we're sceptical about keeping, that has put us in the fortunate position we are.

I think we have every right to be concerned.

No-one is questioning the achievements of Sir Steve or thanking him for the great memories of the last three years. There are plenty starting to question what has happened over the last 12 months or so.

If you had the option of a 4-3-3 line up with Wayne Gray, Goater and even the much-overrated Freddy versus any forward we've had since name one that would knock any of these three out of a starting berth ? Is this the same Wayne Gray that scored something like 20 goals in around 60 games for us including the one against Bristol City in the Goat farewell. The same Wayne Gray that wanted the comfort of a contract we were not prepared to offer him ? Compare that to the standard of forwards we have signed since, the lengths of contract on offer and, I wouldn't mind betting, the wages on the table.

In the centre of defence we've had a combination of Sodje, Edwards and Prior alongside one other defender in recent seasons. Seasoned campaigners each with their own faults but all virtually unbeatable in the air. Again each would get a starting berth before any of the current crop (even the much loved AB).

We have less of a problem in midfield, thank god, because it's mostly their contribution we have to thank, plus the goals from a loan striker we're sceptical about keeping, that has put us in the fortunate position we are.

I think we have every right to be concerned.

I think you summed that up quite succinctly sir!

I havent read one single post that has questioned, argued or at any point tried to water down what Tilly and Brush have achieved at this club - far from it, every single Southend fan will be in their debt for what they have done for this football club, both as players and as a management team.

However, certain circumstances which surround the club at the moment, as ORM points out, have led to a little bit of disharmony amongst fans.

Some of the concerns are far fetched and a tad misguided, but make no mistake, everything in the garden right now is not rosey, and whilsr you would never expect it to be with Southend, fans are justifiably querying some of the aspects of the club.

Personally, I am still optimistic about this season, and I think when we have a fully fit squad with all of our best players fit, and when the players we don't own but have on loan, are also eligible to play, we have a decent squad. However, that does not take away from the fact some very odd decisions, on face value I should add, have been taken over the last few months.

There seems to be a lot of neagtivity tonight, probably because we lost to yet another mediocre team, and whilst the league table doesnt make terrible reading, 1 point from 9 when 2 of those teams shared bottom spot whilet playing us is hardly going to set the puleses racing - add to that a very shoddy performance against a 'pub like' Rochdale side in the FA Cup, and you have a recipe for fans being concerned.

I firmly believe Tilly and Brush are the right people for the job of managing our team, and I firmly believe they will steer us through any troubled times we may have this season, but I also believe they have to show that they can handle what happened last season, turn those mistakes into valuable lessons learned, and continue to take our club forward.

Yes RC and i believe they will.The apparent problems upfront have been addressed by the two loan signings and a big well-done to the management for achieving that.It's comforting to know that T+B realise that things are so dire that the the boy Morgan came straight in for his debut even though he was inellegible the following week.
The two lads upfront today knew that a hot performance will keep one of them in the starting line-up v Oxford and obviously have not made a sufficient showing.If Macdonald is fit next week it'll be no suprise to see him next to Morgan,hopefully those two will impress and keep Leon on the bench for a while after because Leon has let ours and Tilly's faith in him down and left us extremely light in the striker dept.
I believe things will improve,we are still well placed for an assault on promotion and week by week finding out about those in our squad when the chips are down.
You can play one of Harrold or Hooper but not both at the same time and today by all accounts it showed.Don't expect to see them paired again,though i wonder what happens if Morgan picks up a knock in training this week.
Look,stay in touch 'till X-mas and then WIN the games over the festive period and we'll be laughing,i'ts what we done last time.

Nice post ACU - But I am struggling to see who you are aiming this at, and why?

I would suggest it's at all those who write the reactionary 'Tilly Out' posts.

As has been said many times, constructive and/or reasoned arguements are fine, but Tilly's past achievements do need to be remembered by some people before posting stuff along the lines of 'He's useless, lets get rid of him before he does more damage to the club'.

like i have said b4 once people start to defend Tilly from the get go, then we have an issue. I really hope shrimp and two veg is right, i really do, but as a realist i feel we maybe in a false position and come post xmas if the results match the recent performances we wont be looking up but lookin down

Cheers for that x

i miss league two to :( :fury: :(

Leon Clarke is better than Wayne Gray and the Goat when he was playing for us

its a sticky patch thats all, saturdays team was not our first choice by a long way, clarke, gower, morgan, black missing with hammell playing out of position if harrold had scored the pen it may have been a very different game chill out peeps we will be sniffing a play off spot IMO

goater(lovely man, great player), but id have leon clarke over him - younger, does a better job(in that role of flick ons etc) - all round a better player

gray - id have morgan over him. gray doesnt have enough skill - morgan does.

the two loan strikers could be very dangerous together in this division. you can see it working. both skillful and young. one big, one quick. beckford and kandol can push off - these two together would look much more suited to a higher level striking partnership

I think the jury is still out on Clarke and Morgan. Are Clarke's goals for us a flash in the pan ? Will he sign a permanent deal ? Similarly with Morgan we've seen him once and God knows we've signed some donkeys on the strength of one game. His goalscoring record is hardly impressive.

But Leon has already confirmed he is not a target man which is where Morgan could come in. 3-4 games together will tell us whether we have a magic combination.

Back