• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Introduction

My old man used to work in the Kursaal in the Castle Amusement Arcade, so I used to spend all my summer holidays in there all day and every day. I would spend all day going on most of the rides for free and then my Dad would open up the pinball machines clock up a load of replays for me. Bit of a miss spent youth but such good times.

I remember watching the football at Granger Road from my Nan & Grandads' flat window - they moved into the Pennine block (12th floor) in Coleman Street sometime around 1970. I think I may even have the program from the charity match somewhere in the loft!

My Dad was born in Bethnal Green in 1922 but moved to Southend in the early 50’s. He was a very big fan of the Jolly Boys.

This thread is the reason I am proud to be a Shrimper and always will be :-)

ONE TEAM IN SUNNY ESSEX
SOUTHEND UNITED FC

Good memories on this thread for some of us old gits! I used to live behind the Grainger Road stadium in Maldon Road and remember Pegasus playing a few matches there. I think they had a gate of about 800 for their first game which was good for the level they played at. Was also at the last greyhound meeting to be held there, I still have the official racecard. I think the last football match to be played there was in the 60's and was a charity match between the Radio One DJ's and what I think was an ex Southend United XI. Tony Blackburn and Pete Murray played for the DJ's team an there was a decent crowd of around 3000 in attendance.
I remember being at that Charity match against the DJ's. Only time I ever went to Southend Stadium.

Welcome to the board Les.

For the record the match facts were:

[28th September 1969
Radio 1 Disc Jockey XI v Ex Southend United All Stars XI
Organised by Leigh-on-Sea Round Table
Admission was by Lucky Programme 4/- (20p) One programme admitted two children.

The Southend team according to the programme was from:

Peter Heathcote
Crichton Lockhart
Tommy Linton
Jack French
Peter Watson
Don Acton
Peter Gordon
Denis Yeomans
Alex Stenhouse
Les Stubbs
Jackie Bridge
Frank Dudley
Martin Britt
Albert Wakefield
Ernis Shepherd
Sandy Anderson
Kevin Baron

All them well past their sell by date but I didn't realise I had actually seen some of these former players play.

The Radio, Disc jockeys did have listed Pete Murray, Tony Blackburn, Tommy Vance, dave Cash etc.

The officials were Billy Best, Tony Bentley and Joe Kurila.

I can't remember a thing about the game but I remember the Pak being present chanting from the stand.

DoDtS

Welcome to the board Les.

For the record the match facts were:

[28th September 1969
Radio 1 Disc Jockey XI v Ex Southend United All Stars XI
Organised by Leigh-on-Sea Round Table
Admission was by Lucky Programme 4/- (20p) One programme admitted two children.

The Southend team according to the programme was from:

Peter Heathcote
Crichton Lockhart
Tommy Linton
Jack French
Peter Watson
Don Acton
Peter Gordon
Denis Yeomans
Alex Stenhouse
Les Stubbs
Jackie Bridge
Frank Dudley
Martin Britt
Albert Wakefield
Ernis Shepherd
Sandy Anderson
Kevin Baron

All them well past their sell by date but I didn't realise I had actually seen some of these former players play.

The Radio, Disc jockeys did have listed Pete Murray, Tony Blackburn, Tommy Vance, dave Cash etc.

The officials were Billy Best, Tony Bentley and Joe Kurila.

I can't remember a thing about the game but I remember the Pak being present chanting from the stand.

DoDtS

Some good names in the Southend line-up never heard of some of them though & Peter Heathcote only played 2 games

Kurssal Memories

Was not able to bring up the other photo.

Hi Les, glad you liked the aerial pic, shame you can you see the others ones, so I have uploaded them here for you (click on them to make them bigger), hope they bring back happy memories for you.

Kursaal Memories

'One Bright Spot' and 'By the Dome it’s Known' were bywords for the Kursaal, certainly in Southend, in the East End of London and throughout much of southern England. The Kursaal was the largest amusement park in the south throughout much of the Twentieth Century and the destination for thousands of East Enders and others up to the 1960s. This photo gallery tells the story of the Kursaal: from its origins in the late nineteenth century, to the closure of the park and gardens in the 1970s, and the closure of the buildings in the 1980s, and then finally to the high profile re-opening of the ‘new’ Kursaal in 1998. This photo gallery takes visitors on a tour of this wonderland by the sea through the years and is based on a new book by top local author Ken Crowe. If you enjoy the Exhibition then why not buy Kursaal Memories here at Joyland Books and discover many more pictures plus the fascinating story of one of the world's first theme parks.

In the Beginning

The Pier Hill Fairground was established by 1889. It featured swings, steam roundabouts and the “Roly-Poly” ride, passengers in which, we are told, could experience all the joys of complete seasickness without the danger of leaving dry land!

George Sherrin’s drawing for the proposed Tower buildings, as the grand entrance to the Marine Park. It was only when the company responsible was renamed the Southend and Margate Kursaals Company, did the buildings become called the Kursaal.

Grand openings and big crowds

The trotting tack was completed in 1905, and was one of the earliest attractions, together with the switchback railway, aerial flight, dancing platform and “swanneries”.

The Aerial Flight was among the earliest attractions in the Park, dating from 1894. It was also one of the longest surviving of the early rides, being a feature into the 1930s.

A general view of the Kursaal grounds taken about 1910. One of the principal attractions at this time was the Joy Wheel, introduced by the new owners, the Luna Park Company.

A view of the Kursaal about 1910.

Pictures taken from http://kick-butt.co.uk/kursaal/gal_kurs/index.htm

The first C.J. Morehouse

k022v.jpg

Among the many side shows and stalls that were such a feature of the Marine Park and Kursaal was the Pot-Em stall, seen here probably shortly before the First World War.

k030.jpg

Although the main entrance to the Kursaal was via the “vestibule” below George Sherrin’s dome, there was also a separate entrance to the “Gardens”.

k037j.jpg

A plan of the Kursaal grounds in 1920, with Southend United ground shown on right.

The David de Forest Morehouse Years (1921-1934)

k041s.jpg

One of the most famous of all the attractions in the Kursaal was the Water Chute. It was introduced in 1921, having been brought directly from Earls Court. It was one of the few rides in the grounds for which there was always a queue.

k064u.jpg

There were several roller coasters in the Kursaal, from 1894 up to 1973. The Harton Scenic Railway of 1910 was one of the earliest and survived until the closure of the park in 1973.

k065.jpg

A view from the top of the old water chute, taken about 1930. In the middle is the Aerial Flight, dating from 1894. To the right is the “Ice Toboggan”.

k053.jpg

The Wall of Death was introduced to the Kursaal in 1929. It was advertised as America’s greatest thriller, and it is to be supposed that de Forest Morehouse saw the Wall at Coney Island. The earliest riders at the Kursaal were Marjorie and Billy Ward and Jack Cody.

k059.jpg

The Mont Blanc ride was introduced in the 1930s by the Lecorgne family, and proved to be one of the favourites in the Kursaal Gardens.

k069.jpg

With the removal of the Southend United’s football ground in 1934, the way was open for the introduction of the Kursaal’s largest ride, the Cyclone roller coaster. It came to Southend direct from the Brussels exhibition.

k072.jpg

During the Second World War the Kursaal was closed to the public. The Water Chute basin was tarred to ensure it was watertight, and was to be used as a reserve water supply.

k074p.jpg

Howard Baker was the resident band leader in the Kursaal ballroom from shortly before the Second World War until 1967. His “Old Time Band” played on Monday evenings, while modern dance music was played on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

k134.jpg

A new ride for the opening of the Kursaal after the war was the enormous Stratosphere Rocket ride. This photograph is dated 1945.

C.J. Morehouse (the second) 1948-1973

k043.jpg

An aerial view of the Kursaal taken in the late 1940s. The late 1940s and 1950s were the heyday of the Kursaal, with the park at its greatest extent. The largest ride by far can be seen on the left of the photograph - the Cyclone roller coaster.

k080g.jpg

The Arcade was a favourite with the crowds who would be encouraged to try to win the many prizes that were on offer in the shooting ranges, darts stalls and many others.

k123.jpg

Tornado Smith was the most famous of all the Wall of Death riders. Here we see him revving his bike up on the rollers outside the Wall. This was done principally to attract custom.

k133.jpg

The Dive Bomber was a fairly short-lived ride in the Kursaal. It is known to have been in the grounds in the early 1950s, but had been removed before 1960.

k131.jpg

Whirpools in the Kursaal gardens, photographed in the 1950s.

An era ends, another begins

k152.jpg

The owners and tenants were asked to remove their rides and stalls, and the whole grounds presented, in 1973-4 a picture of forlorn desolation. A small area near to the Kursaal buildings was all that remained of the fairground.

k153.jpg

In 1973 the decision was taken to close the Kursaal grounds. Visitor figures had been declining since the mid 1960s, as holidays to new and further destinations became available.

k157.jpg

By the early 1990s, the damage done to the buildings by neglect was such that much of the original structure had to be demolished.

k162.jpg

In the new Millennium the Kursaal buildings live again. Of course, the Kursaal Gardens - the amusement park - can never be recreated, but at least the buildings live on for another generation.

Thanks to Ken Crowe and his terrific book Kursaal Memories: A History of Southend's Amusement Park.

The Big Dady, Wow! gave me the chills looking at those photo's. A neighbor of mine that I used to walk to school with, his Dad was a chauffeur to Capt Moorhouse.
My friend and I used to go into the Kursaal early in the morning before they opened and search around the base of the rides for coins that would fall out of peoples pockets. We also would take our barrow into the car park where all the coaches were and pick up the empty beer bottles and take them to the Brittania pub to collect the deposits. Did quite well for a couple of ten yeard old kids. We both live in Beresford Mansions (Posh nane for a bunch of flats) that were actually on the outskirts of the Kursaal grounds ajacent to the car park. I might have to go get a drink to settle down ! Thanks again.

Hi Les, I used to work weekends at the Kursaal in the 60's and met C.J Morehouse many times, watched the girls tipped out of bed a few times !! Also saw some top bands there, wracking my brains to remember their names(poor old bugger I am!) I was quite pally with the wall of death girl at one time Yvonne, who rode with a German guy. A fantastic place, what a shame it died a death.

Hi Les, I used to work weekends at the Kursaal in the 60's and met C.J Morehouse many times, watched the girls tipped out of bed a few times !! Also saw some top bands there, wracking my brains to remember their names(poor old bugger I am!) I was quite pally with the wall of death girl at one time Yvonne, who rode with a German guy. A fantastic place, what a shame it died a death.

There were loads of bands over the 60s and especially the 70s, but the final one was Thin Lizzy some time in the late 70s. Black Sabbath, AC/DC, 10 CC, Status Quo all put in an appearance. I think admission was not much over £1 at the time ! Mott the Hoople had Queen backing them there and I recall seeing Rod Stewart and the Faces. I also remember the Crazy World of Arthur Brown flouting the health and safety rules of the time.

There were loads of bands over the 60s and especially the 70s, but the final one was Thin Lizzy some time in the late 70s. Black Sabbath, AC/DC, 10 CC, Status Quo all put in an appearance. I think admission was not much over £1 at the time ! Mott the Hoople had Queen backing them there and I recall seeing Rod Stewart and the Faces. I also remember the Crazy World of Arthur Brown flouting the health and safety rules of the time.

I can remember seeing ShaNaNa there with most of the Feelgoods in attendance including Lee and Wilko in the balcony back in the 70's.

I can remember seeing ShaNaNa there with most of the Feelgoods in attendance including Lee and Wilko in the balcony back in the 70's.

Don't think the Corrs ever played that venue though !

Status Quo were regulars at the Kursaal. I also remember seeing Barclay James Harvest, Man, Wishbone Ash & David Essex :blush: among others.

Don.t forget Hawkwind and Wishbone Ash ,boy are we old!!.Anyone remember the Queens Hotels gigs

Status Quo were regulars at the Kursaal. I also remember seeing Barclay James Harvest, Man, Wishbone Ash & David Essex :blush: among others.

Lol, I was at that David Essex gig. I was down the seafront and Kursaal as usual, with a couple of mates. We saw this long line of teenage girls queuing up outside the Kursaal. We thought this was a heaven. They started going in, so we made our way around the building and managed to bunk in. We placed ourselves right in the middle of all the screaming girls. I think it was one of David Essex's first gigs, as he seemed very shy and a bit bewildered at all the attention. The best bit for me was when he sang Rock-On. It was my first concert. Lads from around my way didn't go to gigs/concerts. we were a rough lot. I remember we was laughing on the bus home, because we wasn't meant to enjoy watching David Essex, but we all did.

Her name was Yvonne Stagg.

Back