• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Introduction

Don't forget Rod Stewart and the Faces and Geno Washington and the Ram Jam Band also played the Kursaal.

There are lots of old films about the Kursaal and old Southend here.

[video]http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=1292[/video]

Her name was Yvonne Stagg.
I remember her well.She went on to Margate where this picture is taken.

Staggwall.jpg

33ayrna.png

A bit of a story about her and her daughter who joined The wall of death team.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/2731708/Death-stars.html

Tornado Smith and his Lion...WTF?...:stunned:

LionSidecar.jpg

I remember Sensational Alex Harvey Band at the Kursaal and shame on the council for cancelling the Pistols "anarchy in the UK tour" in 1976. At the Queens Suzi Quatro, Generation X, 999, and shame on me for this one Leo Sayer.

Also at the Queens, Focus & The Groundhogs.
Glad my memory has been jogged, I also saw SAHB and Hawkwind at the Kursaal.
Brilliant memories.

I remember Sensational Alex Harvey Band at the Kursaal and shame on the council for cancelling the Pistols "anarchy in the UK tour" in 1976. At the Queens Suzi Quatro, Generation X, 999, and shame on me for this one Leo Sayer.

I was at the Queens for that one. We went believing the nasty viscous rumour that at the end of the gig Suzi stripped the leather gear off and went starkers. Brilliant piece of marketing --- except at the final curtain we all waited for her to return naked and by the time we realised she wasn't coming back on-stage she was probably halfway up the A127 out of town. Many young lads done up like kippers --- hardly any females in the audience.

At the age of 5 i met the who who were playing at hadleigh
As my mother was interviewing them i remember i sat on
Pete townsend knee. Oh er!! That must have been 69!!

There were loads of bands over the 60s and especially the 70s, but the final one was Thin Lizzy some time in the late 70s. Black Sabbath, AC/DC, 10 CC, Status Quo all put in an appearance. I think admission was not much over £1 at the time ! Mott the Hoople had Queen backing them there and I recall seeing Rod Stewart and the Faces. I also remember the Crazy World of Arthur Brown flouting the health and safety rules of the time.

I saw Lizzy there in '76 and '77. They were a great band then. The first gig cost a couple of quid I think, but the one in December '77 cost about £3-50 which peed a lot of people off, including me as I only had a Saturday job. I don't think gigs carried on much longer after that, though I seem to recall SAHBWA (SAHB Without Alex) playing there in '78, but I didn't go to that one. Would love to have seen Mott and The Faces, but incredibly I must have been too young.

I was at the Queens for that one. We went believing the nasty viscous rumour that at the end of the gig Suzi stripped the leather gear off and went starkers. Brilliant piece of marketing --- except at the final curtain we all waited for her to return naked and by the time we realised she wasn't coming back on-stage she was probably halfway up the A127 out of town. Many young lads done up like kippers --- hardly any females in the audience.

We heard a rumour regarding Suzi and her baps, sod Can the Can it was the main reason for me going. Remember being inconsolable for days after!.

At the age of 5 i met the who who were playing at hadleigh
As my mother was interviewing them i remember i sat on
Pete townsend knee. Oh er!! That must have been 69!!

Ah, the Kingsway Theatre. Early '67 (not trying to spoil your joke!). Our first ever season in the 4th division!

Back