• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Utterly disagree with you on this one Feathers,McCarthy seems to think a kick up the arse is what every player needs to improve his display. Eastwood was already being played out of position before he got injured. Imo dont go anywhere that man JP, the man could have an argument in an empty room.

We will have to agree to disagree then.

Freddy was a very talented player and should have gone on to have successful career at Championship level.

He was the "star man" at Southend and the team was set up around him. He was never going to get that at a much bigger club like Wolves where he would be up against equally talented players like Ebanks-Blake. Football is a team game and players will be asked to play in different positions or roles to the benefit of the team. How they react to that is solely down to the player, but the successful ones adapt.

Its far to easy to simply blame McCarthy for Eastwood's lack of success after leaving Southend but to do so means you abrogate all responsibility from Eastwood himself.

I am not particularly a fan of McCarthy but when you look at what happened to Wolves when he left and where Ipswich were when he took over and where they are now there is no denying his methods works. You would hardly call him the most cultured player either but he made a successful career for himself. Unfortunately talent alone is never enough to succeed and I can't but help think with a bit more application Eastwood could have played regularly at Championship level. Look at what the likes of other players from the same team such as Gower, Francis and Clarke when on to achieve.

I'm sure Ferdinand also got a payrise when he went to Peterborough, but how much is he earning now exactly?

I suspect that it is more down to Ferdinand's attitude though. He looked a really exciting prospect when he broke into our first team but my Dagenham supporting friend who saw him play a few times this season said whilst there were glimpses of class he had no desire and spent most of the time strolling round the pitch.

Jack Payne looks to have a good attitude and work ethic and is clearly willing to learn. His comments for example about Phil Brown improving the defensive side of his game showed he had the maturity to realise he needs to work on all aspects of his game.

I think Jack would be better off playing first team football for us next year but I certainly do not blame him for having the ambition for trying to better himself.

Every player is entitled to get the best deal they can for themselves, and I appreciate I am seeing things through rose tinted specs. But having been dropped by Spurs, before we gave him the chance & platform for a second bite at making it as a pro, I would stupidly like to think he might show a small measure of loyalty by giving us another year, which bare in mind would be on a hugely improved contract anyway and would most likely allow him to develop further as a first team regular, leading in all likelihood to a better more valuable move in a years time. Yes we'd have dropped him if he hadn't been up to it, but in football its all about being given the chance. If you get the chance & fail, then fair enough, as in any job. But how many youngsters can't get a job because no one will give them a chance? We gave JP that chance after someone else dropped him. And that's why I think he could have shown just a bit more loyalty.

Anyway I'm off to polish my rosy specs.

Should we have given Kevan Hurst another year's contract for his loyalty over the past four seasons?

Should we have given Kevan Hurst another year's contract for his loyalty over the past four seasons?

Totally different, we didn't develop KH through the youths, we didn't pick him up off the scrap heap after he'd been dumped elsewhere.

I accept the way this works, but I can't help feeling disappointed in JP, rightly or wrongly.

I can see your point Rob and agree to a point.

However, I don't think it should be forgotten that Jack was hardly a first choice for most of the first half of the season and then was played in differing roles in various matches.

He was then left out at Bradford away.

He had chances this season, of course, but he was hardly first on PB's teamsheet for a lot of matches, so maybe also feels that could be the case again. Especially if we strengthen in the areas he is likely to be considered in.

I'm a great believer in moving when the opportunity comes and if you are good enough. Who is to say he wouldn't stay with us and then pick up an horrendous six month injury. Better to do that where you are being paid a lot more.

Am resigned to losing him and Dan, but it gives other younger players at our club the chance to come through and they can see that the hard work may have rewards for them, too.

We are predominantly a selling club. Sad to say, but until we end up with a benefactor, the world of silly money will always drag our best players away.

Ive got something thats dug a massive burrow under my shed as well, bet that was him too. ****er !

That'll be Mr Brock the badger mate, not Mr Payne. Although I can see it is a pain. A man needs a shed.

As disappointed as I am in him and his greedy "representatives", part of me also reckons that JP feels he won't progress enough under a manager who is as inconsistent with his team selections as PB is, and who doesn't know how to get the best out of his strongest players. I think we'd have had a better chance of keeping Jack if Brown had gone to Bolton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As disappointed as I am in him and his greedy "representatives", part of me also reckons that JP feels he won't progress enough under a manager who is as inconsistent with his team selections as PB is, and who doesn't know how to get the best out of his strongest players. I think we'd have had a better chance of keeping Jack if Brown had gone to Bolton.

I think you have made a very good point. A player's relationship with and respect for a manager is of paramount importance. I wouldn't want to work for a manager like Phil Brown.

We should have given Kevan Hurst a further year because he and Worrall were the best wide players on the books last season.........unless we are going to sign a better player - which 3 year contract McClaughlin definitely is not - even if he were ever fit.

Try talking to Forest fans about him.

I think you have made a very good point. A player's relationship with and respect for a manager is of paramount importance. I wouldn't want to work for a manager like Phil Brown.

So you know personally what it's like to work for PB then do you?

Who's to say what his next manager is going to be like and the way teams change managers, his next one might not be there long!!

On the other other hand very few managers would go to the lengths PB did to accommodate Jack in the team. Let's hope his next manager isn't very consistent in not picking him to play midfield because he can't tackle, head the ball and loses possession too easily, and because he is not prepared to adjust his attacking options to allow a youngster a free role that you would normally trust to someone much more senior. Because then he will be consistently on the bench as an impact player looking to chase games. BTW it's true at Huddersfield that might mean a large number of opportunities to appear from the bench (for a while).

I am a fan of Jack and wish him well. He is following financial advise and not footballing advise in my view- but its his career. But the attempts to mould this into another opportunity for PB bashing are very, very thin on substance where Jack is concerned.

You cant say its financial and not footballing unless he went to another league one side.

If he goes to a Championship side then footballing reasons play a part, finances are obviously linked and part of it of course.

Agree on the PB bashing though, he started him in most of the games since November, and even played formations we should never have touched just to get him in the side.

Most of his time with us even fans didnt know where to play him and what system to do so in, but Brown persevered.

Does not compute ?!:? ; " he can't tackle, head the ball and loses possession too easily"......"I am a fan of Jack". Then again you are a Southend fan, so it probably does.

You might not fancy working for PB but there are many players that do and have so it is pure conjecture with regards Jack Payne. Payne has come from the youth system under Phil Brown and started the majority of games in the second half of the season and he has publically stated that Brown has helped him develop his all round game.

In short there is no evidence that Jack Payne does not have a good relationship with Phil Brown and it looks more like people transposing their negative feelings toward PB onto others.

I fully understand that Jack Payne wishes to develop himself in a higher division but I find the suggestion that he would be more likely to stay at Southend if the manager that has helped to develop him was not here and that some unknown manager whom he does not know was here instead absurd.

Does not compute ?!:? ; " he can't tackle, head the ball and loses possession too easily"......"I am a fan of Jack". Then again you are a Southend fan, so it probably does.

Not a fan of Jack in a midfield role no- up front in a free role yes.. :-)

Anyone noticed how our form in the second half of the season dipped when Jack was picked in the team more often than not?

Great player, yes, excellent prospect, yes, most skilfull player to come out of our youth team for years, yes.

An essestial part of a good league one team, not in a million years.

Trying to accomodate Jack and his undoubted talent into the team in my view disrupted the shape and style of a team that was doing OK.

If we had the other players around Jack that could play with him and compensate for his deficiencies then break the bank to keep him, but sadly we dont, and although I will miss getting excited everytime he got the ball, I think on balance a few hundred grand in Ron Martin's back pocket, and a more solid team not built around one player is probably a good result.

Anyone noticed how our form in the second half of the season dipped when Jack was picked in the team more often than not?

Great player, yes, excellent prospect, yes, most skilfull player to come out of our youth team for years, yes.

An essestial part of a good league one team, not in a million years.

Trying to accomodate Jack and his undoubted talent into the team in my view disrupted the shape and style of a team that was doing OK.

If we had the other players around Jack that could play with him and compensate for his deficiencies then break the bank to keep him, but sadly we dont, and although I will miss getting excited everytime he got the ball, I think on balance a few hundred grand in Ron Martin's back pocket, and a more solid team not built around one player is probably a good result.
I personally don't agree with this argument.

He mainly played off a striker so I can't see how this disrupted the teams shape. You can't blame Jack for the amount of goals we shipped in the second half of the season.

I think we eventually got found in the second half of the season by having a mainly league 2 quality squad.

I have eaited to post this so that the immediate annoyance /anger has subsided and I am now more rationale

I would have liked it if he stayed, but I can understand reasons for him going. From an SUFC supporters perspective he will never go down as a great ,legend or anything remotely close to that. as an SUFC supporter I am disappointed in that as there was always the hope (and isn’t that was supporting a lower league team is all about- the hope) that next year he would be brilliant , we would be promoted and/or we sold him for a huge fee as he was the star of league one. I think if this happened we would also be more likely to recall that he made the tackle at Wembley that let to Weston’s run……..

Grant has my full respect as he stuck with us when nobody else did (no idea why - must have been badly advised
C:\Users\dallen\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif
). Freddy was key to us getting promoted AND we got a large fee for him , Stan was on a totally different level to Jack, and we got the big fee. There are many many more we could add. My point is , I wonder if some people are upset as they are looking at what might have been, and are viewing it solely ,and quite understandably from a SUFC supporters perspective

Can't believe we appear to be losing Payn£ to a crap Championship team. If someone decent had come in for him then I probably wouldn't have as many ill feelings towards him. With some good summer signings, there's no reason we can't be fighting for promotion next season. Instead he's shafting the club who have done nothing but invest time and effort into him to go to bloody Huddersfield?!

He's been poorly advised by his agent and the dream move hasn't materialised. He'd be better off signing a new deal with us, letting Brown build the team around him and having a good crack at getting promotion next season. If we don't, he's free to leave and has given us the opportunity to negotiate ourselves a decent fee.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I've lost a lot of respect for the lad after all this. Although I fear a greedy agent is more to blame than Jack.

Perhaps he is moving to bloody Huddersfield because he has seen how we continually take players, improve them and then let them go on to bigger and better things. Here are some recent examples:

Alex Smithies
Jack Hunt
Jordan Rhodes
Anthony Pilkington
Adam Clayton
Jacob Butterfield
Conor Coady
Oliver Norwood

The same will shortly happen with Nahki Wells and Phillip Billing (if he continues on the same progression curve)

Then again, he could stay at Southend in League One not achieving a right lot.

Back