• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Quite amusing to note that the rest of the football world (well Football League) rate Jack higher than Southend fans...? Although strangely I'm sure Southend fans rating would have increased had he signed a contract. Funny that!

Quite amusing to note that the rest of the football world (well Football League) rate Jack higher than Southend fans...? Although strangely I'm sure Southend fans rating would have increased had he signed a contract. Funny that!

I agree. Think he has a big future ahead of him. Always championed him playing for us and enjoyed watching him play. Disappointed he is going, but we all want to better ourselves so good luck to him

Perhaps he is moving to bloody Huddersfield because he has seen how we continually take players, improve them and then let them go on to bigger and better things. Here are some recent examples:

Alex Smithies
Jack Hunt
Jordan Rhodes
Anthony Pilkington
Adam Clayton
Jacob Butterfield
Conor Coady
Oliver Norwood

The same will shortly happen with Nahki Wells and Phillip Billing (if he continues on the same progression curve)

Then again, he could stay at Southend in League One not achieving a right lot.

i agree if he is not going to achieve a lot I would rather we had your £500k.

Perhaps he is moving to bloody Huddersfield because he has seen how we continually take players, improve them and then let them go on to bigger and better things. Here are some recent examples:

Alex Smithies
Jack Hunt
Jordan Rhodes
Anthony Pilkington
Adam Clayton
Jacob Butterfield
Conor Coady
Oliver Norwood

The same will shortly happen with Nahki Wells and Phillip Billing (if he continues on the same progression curve)

You may improve players... But how many finals have you been in during the last 15 years? I know which team if rather support for the excitement.. This is our first mid table "boring" finish for as long as I can remember.

You may improve players... But how many finals have you been in during the last 15 years? I know which team if rather support for the excitement.. This is our first mid table "boring" finish for as long as I can remember.

League 2 and JPT finals....I'm sure the thought of missing huge occasions like those is weighing heavily on Jack's mind while pondering his next move

League 2 and JPT finals....I'm sure the thought of missing huge occasions like those is weighing heavily on Jack's mind while pondering his next move

Hardly a exciting prospect though is it... Finishing 19th season after season never really having anything to fight for or hope for. Jacks decent, there's no doubt, but let's not forgot he is a young lad who barely got a look in league two and only had half a season this year, where he stood out a lot more because of the rest of the teams short comings. We've seen him be shut out and bullied out of games in the lower two divisions. So how he will fair in the championship is anyones guess. Unless his played in a system that suits him then he will disappear.

Alex Smithies
Jack Hunt
Jordan Rhodes
Anthony Pilkington
Adam Clayton
Jacob Butterfield
Conor Coady
Oliver Norwood

What do you mean by not achieving a lot? He's only really broken through from the youth team in recent seasons, and has already achieved a promotion. Who's to say what he will or won't achieve if he stays? However it seems he won't achieve a huge amount with you if your recent past is anything to go by.

What he will hopefully achieve in the long run is to prove himself at your level and move on to bigger and better things, but there's no guarantee of that either.

It's not a surprise all those players have moved on because they weren't achieving anything with you. It's also worth pointing out that Smithies only moved on because we turned down an offer for their first choice! Let's also look at the others on your list.

Jack Hunt left you for Crystal Palace but did not play for them. He's now at Sheffield Wednesday. Jordan Rhodes went to Blackburn only to be relegated. Anthony Pilkington is doing ok at Norwich. Adam Clayton joined a team in the same division as you, but has bettered himself since. Jacob Butterfield joined you from Middlesbrough and went to Derby. I don't see any progression there, I see the opposite. Conor Coady is at Wolves: again, no real progression. Oliver Norwood is at Reading, again no real progression.

I don't think you're as attractive as you think. That said, should Jack decide to join you he'll go with my thanks and best wishes.

Alex Smithies
Jack Hunt
Jordan Rhodes
Anthony Pilkington
Adam Clayton
Jacob Butterfield
Conor Coady
Oliver Norwood

Sir, I do believe that you are talking out of your bottom :moon:

What do you mean by not achieving a lot? He's only really broken through from the youth team in recent seasons, and has already achieved a promotion. Who's to say what he will or won't achieve if he stays? However it seems he won't achieve a huge amount with you if your recent past is anything to go by.

What he will hopefully achieve in the long run is to prove himself at your level and move on to bigger and better things, but there's no guarantee of that either.

It's not a surprise all those players have moved on because they weren't achieving anything with you. It's also worth pointing out that Smithies only moved on because we turned down an offer for their first choice! Let's also look at the others on your list.

Jack Hunt left you for Crystal Palace but did not play for them. He's now at Sheffield Wednesday. Jordan Rhodes went to Blackburn only to be relegated. Anthony Pilkington is doing ok at Norwich. Adam Clayton joined a team in the same division as you, but has bettered himself since. Jacob Butterfield joined you from Middlesbrough and went to Derby. I don't see any progression there, I see the opposite. Conor Coady is at Wolves: again, no real progression. Oliver Norwood is at Reading, again no real progression.

I don't think you're as attractive as you think. That said, should Jack decide to join you he'll go with my thanks and best wishes.

By not achieving a lot, I meant being rotated in and out of a mid to top half league one side. He might as well be doing that in the Championship on a lot more money. That said, he would feature quite heavily for us as he suits the formation and style of our play

I don't consider us attractive at all in the general sense. We are a relatively small club in the grand scheme of things and don't pretend to be anything else unlike other clubs up this way. We are just fortunate to have a wealthy fan as our owner who has moved the whole club on quite a few levels from where we were 7 or 8 years ago (although it might not look like much improvement from the outside looking in)

I do believe we are attractive though in that we can show how we develop players and then don't stand in their way when bigger clubs come calling provided the offer meets their value. When I said move on to bigger and better things, I wasn't necessarily talking about going on and winning trophies, more so moving to bigger clubs and earning far more money than they ever could with us. Let's not kid ourselves, 99/100 footballers are in it to make as much money as possible and who can blame them. It's only a short career so you have to make the most of it while you can. Rhodes went from £10k a week with us to £45k at Blackburn, Smithies from £10k to £20k, Butterfield quadrupled his wages by all accounts etc etc

As for your comments on those players - Jack Hunt became a Premier League player, injury a few weeks after joining messed all that up. Rhodes is now a Premier League player, as is Clayton. Pilkington was much sought after at the top end of the Premier League while at Norwich and Cardiff until injuries set him back. Butterfield was going nowhere at Boro and getting farmed out on loan and by his own admission had lost his way. We brought him in, gave him a platform to improve himself and 12 months later found himself moving to Derby for £5-6 million. Conor Coady signed for £300k and sold for £2million a year later (not our fault Wolves then went and had a poor season)

Not only can we show Jack that we are a platform to better things, we are also giving it a real go next season. David Wagner is being given the chance to build his own squad and has quite a bit of money available to do so.

By not achieving a lot, I meant being rotated in and out of a mid to top half league one side. He might as well be doing that in the Championship on a lot more money. That said, he would feature quite heavily for us as he suits the formation and style of our play

I don't consider us attractive at all in the general sense. We are a relatively small club in the grand scheme of things and don't pretend to be anything else unlike other clubs up this way. We are just fortunate to have a wealthy fan as our owner who has moved the whole club on quite a few levels from where we were 7 or 8 years ago (although it might not look like much improvement from the outside looking in)

I do believe we are attractive though in that we can show how we develop players and then don't stand in their way when bigger clubs come calling provided the offer meets their value. When I said move on to bigger and better things, I wasn't necessarily talking about going on and winning trophies, more so moving to bigger clubs and earning far more money than they ever could with us. Let's not kid ourselves, 99/100 footballers are in it to make as much money as possible and who can blame them. It's only a short career so you have to make the most of it while you can. Rhodes went from £10k a week with us to £45k at Blackburn, Smithies from £10k to £20k, Butterfield quadrupled his wages by all accounts etc etc

As for your comments on those players - Jack Hunt became a Premier League player, injury a few weeks after joining messed all that up. Rhodes is now a Premier League player, as is Clayton. Pilkington was much sought after at the top end of the Premier League while at Norwich and Cardiff until injuries set him back. Butterfield was going nowhere at Boro and getting farmed out on loan and by his own admission had lost his way. We brought him in, gave him a platform to improve himself and 12 months later found himself moving to Derby for £5-6 million. Conor Coady signed for £300k and sold for £2million a year later (not our fault Wolves then went and had a poor season)

Not only can we show Jack that we are a platform to better things, we are also giving it a real go next season. David Wagner is being given the chance to build his own squad and has quite a bit of money available to do so.

I'm interested to know how you feel he'll fit into your system. How often have you seen him play? As it happens I think he can fit into more systems than most people on here would give him credit for (given the chance), so I'm genuinely asking how you personally came to that conclusion.

I personally don't see you as any different to any other club in terms of progressing players since post Bosman no team can stand in their way. Moreover that list of progressions still doesn't sound all that impressive even with your mitigating circumstances. It seems we've progressed as many people as you, albeit from a lower starting point. The only real progression seems to be in your bank balance, which (let's face it) is no bad thing.

Players may enjoy playing football, but it is still a job to them, and as such they have every right to see out their contract and move on, I have no problem with that. Let's not forget Jack is only 21 (born 1994 - blimey that makes me feel old) and has really only just broken into the team so I'd be surprised if he doesn't progress wherever he ends up. You may have a small part to play in that progression, but I would argue that most of any progression will come from himself. He's had a good grounding from Ricky Duncan in our youth team, and at Spurs previous to that.

So Huddersfield have players on £10,000 per week and if they go on to a bigger championship club they can earn £45,000 per week. I just can't see why young jack on £900 per week at the best club in the world would find Huddersfield attractive. Can anyone else? :winking:

Watching the play off game last night, it occurred to me that if Millwall win at Wembley they might be an option for Payne. It would be a step up, he wouldn't have to relocate, and Neil Harris is someone that would know Jack well.

Watching the play off game last night, it occurred to me that if Millwall win at Wembley they might be an option for Payne. It would be a step up, he wouldn't have to relocate, and Neil Harris is someone that would know Jack well.

He's already signed for a club

and that's the problem with your higher league arrogance , finishing 19th is so appealing ......if you go to Wembley do you take 33,000??

and that's the problem with your higher league arrogance , finishing 19th is so appealing ......if you go to Wembley do you take 33,000??

Wembley is very easy to access from Southend. We took 32,000 to Old Trafford against Peterborough which is similar distance

Good fun though it is to compare the size of our respective dads, testicles or crowds for big matches, this thread is starting to go off topic. Lets get back on it eh?

Good fun though it is to compare the size of our respective dads, testicles or crowds for big matches, this is starting to go off topic. Lets get back on it eh?

If we are going to do a top trump test, my dad doesn't wear a flat cap so I probably wouldn't gamble on that card

Back