• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How is he getting on otherwise? From when I last looked he just seemed to be warming the bench.

He's been a bit unfortunate that we have Kasey Palmer and Izzy Brown on loan from Chelsea, two of the best players in the Championship. When he has played he hasn't really done enough but there definitely looks to be something there. Looked far too good for Port Vale but not quite ready for championship week in week out

He's been a bit unfortunate that we have Kasey Palmer and Izzy Brown on loan from Chelsea, two of the best players in the Championship. When he has played he hasn't really done enough but there definitely looks to be something there. Looked far too good for Port Vale but not quite ready for championship week in week out.

Thanks for the updates - please do us (that is every club in Division 2, 3 & 4 and below) a favour and beat Man City in the replay. :thumbsup: :smile:

Last edited:
I saw the game yesterday, quite honestly he was not up to grade, too many missed placed passes, out tackled on numerous occasions, had very little impact on the game eventually subbed out.

Agreed, but at times appeared to be "lost" wandering around, a boy among men, needs to improve,as an earlier poster wrote, this can only be achieved with increased playing time, unfortunately, with the two players on loan ahead of him in the selection order would appear to be unlikely at this time.

I saw the game yesterday, quite honestly he was not up to grade, too many missed placed passes, out tackled on numerous occasions, had very little impact on the game eventually subbed out.
Yes he doesn't get anywhere near their first choice line-up now they've brought in some very useful players at this level.

Of course, if Huddersfield lose the replay which, let's face it, they will, then there won't be a single Championship club left in the FA Cup!

Would he get in our current team?

I think one of our main problems last year was fitting him in. Having him in means playing him with one striker and that would be totally detrimental to our set up.

Id rather Wordsworth to be honest.

Agreed, but at times appeared to be "lost" wandering around, a boy among men, needs to improve,as an earlier poster wrote, this can only be achieved with increased playing time, unfortunately, with the two players on loan ahead of him in the selection order would appear to be unlikely at this time.

Payne was a bit like that at times when playing for us - it's great when we have the ball and are attacking but not so good when trying to get the ball back.

I was wondering the other day how we (Southend United) would have progressed this season with Bentley in goal and Payne being available.

The problem was always going to be the game time he would get- PB gave him good advice about getting another full season in L1 under is his belt. But the way now is grab the chance when you get it. Doubt he's developed much this season.

I think the analysis about not quite being good enough yet is probably fair- maybe at a struggling championship side he would have got more game time.

If he was with us now then we probably would be playing him instead of Wordy or perhaps would not have signed one of the forwards (not sure, with change of formation as well, it would have made us any stronger. probably we would have had a bit better start but would be lower in the table now..)

Yeah going nowhere fast...................................oh look he's on BBC1 prime time against a full strength Man City side...well I never!

I've got to say, I've been watching Payne tonight closely and he doesn't look like a 600k player. His running off and on the ball is terrible. He just looks out of sorts and his running looks odd, not what you'd expect from a professional football player.

600k I'm pleased with that because I see nothing, even though he should have upped his game tonight. Maybe others see what I'm not.

I wouldn't have him in our current first 11 that's for sure.

Yes,I was amazed he wasn't substituted(half-time wouldn't have been too soon) but then realised it would be because he is one who will be playing no part in their important game v Newcastle.

hahaha everyone slating Payne on here for last night's game, quality. He doesn't play for them much due to them doing so well then when he does he is playing against Pep's strongest City side, jheeeze give the guy a break what you all think he is gonna be the standout player. These posts stink of bitterness that he left us and I probably would have him in our side over Woody at the moment being honest.

hahaha everyone slating Payne on here for last night's game, quality. He doesn't play for them much due to them doing so well then when he does he is playing against Pep's strongest City side, jheeeze give the guy a break what you all think he is gonna be the standout player. These posts stink of bitterness that he left us and I probably would have him in our side over Woody at the moment being honest.

You're entitled to your view and so are the rest of us.... For what it's worth, I don't agree with you.

Back