• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

That was an absolute rarity-far more typical was when he gave the ball away hopelessly at Morecambe to set up their 1st goal.Without that contribution we would probably have gone up automatically without the play-off lottery.

If it wasn't for Payne's chase back and interception at Wembley in stoppage time we wouldn't have got promoted...

Watching him on weds night against man city he looked just I beleved he would a little lad lost in the big world of football Sorry Jack cant see you cutting the mustard in the prem any time soon

Maybe Jack Payne isn't really a Championship quality player at this point in his career, but if somebody is willing to pay him Championship wages along with a healthy signing on bonus, why shouldn't he grab the opportunity with both hands? It's a short and often capricious career and there's no guarantee that opportunities will come around again. He always has the option of a loan move should it become apparent that further seasoning is required in the lower leagues.

JP has moved on in what he believes are his best interests. Given that we've agreed what we feel to be fair compensation and aren't doing so badly ourselves, I don't really get the desire to see him fail. Hardly going to help us to maximise any sell on or other clause for success, is it?

Watching him on weds night against man city he looked just I beleved he would a little lad lost in the big world of football Sorry Jack cant see you cutting the mustard in the prem any time soon

He left a middle of the road League One team built on largely broken promises for a lower Championship club with a decent history... Nobody said he was ready for the Premier League yet... He played midweek at the Etihad against a team with limitless resources and managed by Pep Guardiola in largely a B-team... What were you expecting - a hat-trick?

I'm sure Huddersfield are delighted with progress. Wagner has turned a team stuttering under Chris Powell into serious Premier League contenders. On that basis Jack Payne is probably ideal as a squad player with plenty of development still to come.

The only problem with Jack (as has been mentioned), he's most effective in a 4-4-1-1 formation, yet that is rarely used. Therefore if you want him to start, the whole team has to be shaped around him.

We'll obviously never know now, but I do wonder whether he would have been better staying with us for another couple of years to establish himself as a League One regular and hopefully a Championship regular, before going onto a larger club ? He would have been much stronger and better prepared for a match like Wednesday. Saying that, we could have plummeted and that once in a lifetime opportunity may have disappeared.

I have to agree with some of this.... Certainly the point that he looked out of place compared to his team mates. His running just looks so awkward to me and doesn't look like a natural runner.

I agree with you.He did look out of place.I watched the whole game. He must have been the only one who didn't give the ball away!

Who said he was Premiership ready........? I've not seen anything in the press to that affect??

I was angry when he first left , but know wish him every success as should all SUFC fans,the more he progresses the better for SUFC should some big club come after him,means a nice payout for my club .:happy:

The only problem with Jack (as has been mentioned), he's most effective in a 4-4-1-1 formation, yet that is rarely used. Therefore if you want him to start, the whole team has to be shaped around him.

We'll obviously never know now, but I do wonder whether he would have been better staying with us for another couple of years to establish himself as a League One regular and hopefully a Championship regular, before going onto a larger club ? He would have been much stronger and better prepared for a match like Wednesday. Saying that, we could have plummeted and that once in a lifetime opportunity may have disappeared.

To be fair I don't really see that being too much of an issue for him going forward. One of the most utilised formations in top level football is the 4-2-3-1, and Payne is perfect to sit in the middle of the front three behind the striker.

I think Payne is a player who really needs games to improve and had he got a decent run in the side, I think he would be head and shoulders above where he is now. Unfortunately for him, Huddersfield signed Kasey Palmer on loan from Chelsea who is very similar to Payne in play style and position. Palmer has established himself as a starter which has in turn resigned Payne to playing second fiddle. An unfortunate situation for JP, but could easily have turned out differently.

No,I didn't say that, that's your logic not mine,but anyone who knows their football could tell you how absolutely vital the opening goal is any match,yet alone in that amazing scenario.(Payne did indeed get a close-range equaliser but then Barrett and Bentley also cocked-up big time).

I guess you would say that Garry Nelson doesn't know his football then.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39163015

Nice little bit in the match report about half way down:-

"In an enterprising first half by both sides, Bees keeper Bentley made a fingertip save from Jack Payne"

but then Dan cocked up

"but was guilty of a bad error as La Parra's shot deflected in off his arms to give the visitors the lead."

Misses the penalty that would have sent Huddersfield to Wembley in the play-offs but they go through after Danny Ward saved the next one from Sheffield Wednesday.

Just had his penalty saved in the penalty shoot out at the championship play-off semi-final.

Thankfully it didn't matter as the next one was saved too and they won 4-3 on penalties!

Missed Huddersfield 5th and final pen. Luckily Sheff Wed missed as well so another trip to Wembley for Jack.

Missed his penalty but Huddersfield still win the shootout

JP in the Final and maybe the Prem?

If the Terriers get promoted do we get extra cash if he plays?

Nothing wrong with the pen.

Keeper guessed right.

Good on him for taking one, when other more experienced players obviously didn't fancy it.

Back