• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ive seen him play a few times this year, cant use Man City as a yard stick though.

The other time I watched him he did what he used to do for us in the earlier part of last season, giving the ball away and running into dead ends all the time.

No bitterness on my part, whilst he had loads of talent I thought he was a detriment to the team as a whole and we are much better team without him.

He improved with us though and he has stepped up a league so will need to improve there, the fact he was even selected for both Man City games shows they rate him.

hahaha everyone slating Payne on here for last night's game, quality. He doesn't play for them much due to them doing so well then when he does he is playing against Pep's strongest City side, jheeeze give the guy a break what you all think he is gonna be the standout player. These posts stink of bitterness that he left us and I probably would have him in our side over Woody at the moment being honest.

I agree with this and I like Wordy a lot.

Payne, playing one-twos around the box with Cox and Fortune, would score a fair number of goals for us and he probably just edges it over Wordy for tackling back and defending, if needs be.

His dead ball delivery isn't as good, but I'd wager he would do better in our current side than in last season's and he was a standout player, then.

Bentley would have gained us a couple of extra points without doubt. However, Payne, quite frankly I prefer what we have now. Useful as an impact player but no more.

I agree with this and I like Wordy a lot.

Payne, playing one-twos around the box with Cox and Fortune, would score a fair number of goals for us and he probably just edges it over Wordy for tackling back and defending, if needs be.

His dead ball delivery isn't as good, but I'd wager he would do better in our current side than in last season's and he was a standout player, then.

Wordsworth plays central midfield, Payne plays behind the striker so you arent comparing like for like. Payne with us rarely went further back than the centre circle ,not through his choice but where he was played.

Wordsworth has scored the same amount of goals Payne did in less games and in a deeper position.

If Payne was here he wouldn't be playing instead of Wordsworth but one of the strikers, and that's the problem. We never looked balanced with Payne in the side.

I was disappointed he left at the time because he is one of the few players we saw with natural talent, but with hindsight and £600k I think we are better off now as a team which is what counts.

Jack who? Sorry, for me he became just another mercenary who thought he was better than little old Southend when he'd barely become a first team regular. Probably had his ego fed by a greedy agent along the way. And all after we took him from the scrap heap when Spurs dumped him as a kid. Common sense should have told him another year developing in our first team would have been beneficial to his long term career plus shown a bit of loyalty to the club who nurtured him, but no, couldn't wait to jump ship at the first opportinity. I have no problem with players moving on to better things, but he just really peed me off with his billy big boots attitude. And Man City or not, he looked so out of depth last night compared even to his own team mates I hope he now realises perhaps he's not the next Messi after all.

As you may have guessed, I have no time for him, and would certainly not want him back.

Jack who? Sorry, for me he became just another mercenary who thought he was better than little old Southend when he'd barely become a first team regular. Probably had his ego fed by a greedy agent along the way. And all after we took him from the scrap heap when Spurs dumped him as a kid. Common sense should have told him another year developing in our first team would have been beneficial to his long term career plus shown a bit of loyalty to the club who nurtured him, but no, couldn't wait to jump ship at the first opportinity. I have no problem with players moving on to better things, but he just really peed me off with his billy big boots attitude. And Man City or not, he looked so out of depth last night compared even to his own team mates I hope he now realises perhaps he's not the next Messi after all.

As you may have guessed, I have no time for him, and would certainly not want him back.

I think if an opportunity comes to go to a champ level club (and quite a good one at that) then you have to take your chance - re developing another year here - I don't think he would have as I couldn't see him getting in our current side - so best all round he left, and good luck to him hope he does really well and we get a sell on!

I think if an opportunity comes to go to a champ level club (and quite a good one at that) then you have to take your chance - re developing another year here - I don't think he would have as I couldn't see him getting in our current side - so best all round he left, and good luck to him hope he does really well and we get a sell on!

Above - a good, balanced and reasoned post. :thumbsup:

Wordsworth plays central midfield, Payne plays behind the striker so you arent comparing like for like. Payne with us rarely went further back than the centre circle ,not through his choice but where he was played.

Wordy plays in an advanced position in centre midfield, behind the strikers, though the system is interchangeable. A position Payne played in a lot last season.

That said, Payne scored most of his goals when he was upfront, but point is that in our current set-up, he would score from Wordy's position, IMHO.

This is not saying he would be picked before Wordy, but that if he was, he would score goals from there and be just as influential.

Ive seen him play a few times this year, cant use Man City as a yard stick though.

The other time I watched him he did what he used to do for us in the earlier part of last season, giving the ball away and running into dead ends all the time.

No bitterness on my part, whilst he had loads of talent I thought he was a detriment to the team as a whole and we are much better team without him.

He improved with us though and he has stepped up a league so will need to improve there, the fact he was even selected for both Man City games shows they rate him.

Unless you go to watch Huddersfield they've been on telly 3 times this season V Leeds (didn't play) V Norwich (didn't play) V Sheff Wed (20 mins as sub)

I have to agree with some of this.... Certainly the point that he looked out of place compared to his team mates. His running just looks so awkward to me and doesn't look like a natural runner.

I have to agree with some of this.... Certainly the point that he looked out of place compared to his team mates. His running just looks so awkward to me and doesn't look like a natural runner.

We used to have a player who looked really poor when he was running. You remember them from school - their feet and legs and arms just don't seem to be working very well together.

Anyway, this player who I think was called Brett Angell did okay in the end ................:winking:

We used to have a player who looked really poor when he was running. You remember them from school - their feet and legs and arms just don't seem to be working very well together.

Anyway, this player who I think was called Brett Angell did okay in the end ................:winking:

How dare you, I don't remember Bretty Angle, I'm still young........ Ok I'm not, I'm a young 44 :smile:

He's playing at a higher level earning more money, so good luck to him.

I am not bitter about him leaving, and the manner in which it happened, FWIW I thought he jumped ship too early with the 1st club to show interest but hey ho that's football. As to whether he would get into our current team...no way, our midfield is balanced with cover, our strikers are the envy of many teams in our league, who would you drop to accommodate him?
We have a TEAM at the minute, best kept that way with no egos to massage.

Payne was a bit like that at times when playing for us - it's great when we have the ball and are attacking but not so good when trying to get the ball back.

I was wondering the other day how we (Southend United) would have progressed this season with Bentley in goal and Payne being available.

Like in the 122nd minute of the Playoff final you mean? :stunned:

That was an absolute rarity-far more typical was when he gave the ball away hopelessly at Morecambe to set up their 1st goal.Without that contribution we would probably have gone up automatically without the play-off lottery.

That was an absolute rarity-far more typical was when he gave the ball away hopelessly at Morecambe to set up their 1st goal.Without that contribution we would probably have gone up automatically without the play-off lottery.

Then he scored our equaliser, so going on your logic without him there we still lost 2-0.

I am not bitter about him leaving, and the manner in which it happened, FWIW I thought he jumped ship too early with the 1st club to show interest but hey ho that's football. As to whether he would get into our current team...no way, our midfield is balanced with cover, our strikers are the envy of many teams in our league, who would you drop to accommodate him?
We have a TEAM at the minute, best kept that way with no egos to massage.

You're saying Jack Payne has a bigger ego than the likes of Cox and Anton???

Then he scored our equaliser, so going on your logic without him there we still lost 2-0.
No,I didn't say that, that's your logic not mine,but anyone who knows their football could tell you how absolutely vital the opening goal is any match,yet alone in that amazing scenario.(Payne did indeed get a close-range equaliser but then Barrett and Bentley also cocked-up big time).

Back