• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jeez, god forbid anyone wants to strive to improve themselves or earn a bit more money in a relatively short career. :facepalm:

Some of the comments here are really, really bizarre. Strange that Bentley, who for a long time resisted signing a new deal with us to seal his move away, has not been subjected to the same kind of comments that Payne has, and at the time there was a great deal more confusion over his deal.

Payne played a peripheral but important role in helping Huddersfield win an unexpected promotion last year. I dare say even he'd admit that he's not a Premier League player yet. It's a season-long loan so he doesn't spend a year picking splinters out of his arse with the occasional farce of an U23 game.

Hoping the career of a player we helped nurture and develop collapses in flames? Give over. You sound like a bitter, spurned ex.

Some of the comments here are really, really bizarre. Strange that Bentley, who for a long time resisted signing a new deal with us to seal his move away, has not been subjected to the same kind of comments that Payne has, and at the time there was a great deal more confusion over his deal.

Payne played a peripheral but important role in helping Huddersfield win an unexpected promotion last year. I dare say even he'd admit that he's not a Premier League player yet. It's a season-long loan so he doesn't spend a year picking splinters out of his arse with the occasional farce of an U23 game.

Hoping the career of a player we helped nurture and develop collapses in flames? Give over. You sound like a bitter, spurned ex.

I think it's because Payne has come unstuck. It's called Karma. I didn't mind JP but the way him as his agent went about things was wrong in my eyes. I also don't believe he's a top half Championship player, so certainly not a Premiership player. He's just not the finished article yet and RM/PB tried to tell him that, it's no coincidence that his current manager doesn't think so either, that's why he's on his way to Oxford. Having said that, 600k was a great bit of business for us :thumbsup:

There are some people who seem to be bitter but I'll say what I said at the time, I wish him no ill will but he didn't really stay long enough to be remembered fondly or for me to really care. Bentley was different, he played a lot of games for us and made a big contribution. I said at the time Bentley would be a success and I didn't think Payne would play much. Don't blame Payne for moving but it was predictable.

I actually agree that Jack Payne would be a poor fit for the current squad and that we should have much higher priorities, but the sniping at him is ridiculous. He was out of contract having fulfilled all of his obligations to such a standard as to have attracted Championship attention in the first place. He probably more than doubled his wages (in all likelihood considerably more) to have a crack at making the best of himself - something he and his girlfriend probably don't look at as a mistake as they try to make a life for themselves - rather than stay put where one injury could have taken away his chance to ever make that sort of money.

If there are add-ons in the deal we agreed with Huddersfield then for him to leave on a free in a downwards direction is the worst case scenario for our club, but apparently snide satisfaction at JP's 'failure' comes first. Utterly pathetic.

I think it's because Payne has come unstuck. It's called Karma. I didn't mind JP but the way him as his agent went about things was wrong in my eyes.

An agent trying to secure the best possible deal for his client? Whatever next.

He's just not the finished article yet and RM/PB tried to tell him that, it's no coincidence that his current manager doesn't think so either, that's why he's on his way to Oxford.

28 appearances in a season wherein Huddersfield won promotion to the Premier League. That's not too shabby for a young player signed from League One.

Having said that, 600k was a great bit of business for us :thumbsup:

Precisely. Payne received a nice deal at a top Championship club, and we were compensated appropriately for his development. So there's really no need to wish him any ill.

This is the game, lads. We're more than happy to play it when we're after a promising player in non-league or whatever.

Payne received a nice deal at a top Championship club, and we were compensated appropriately for his development. So there's really no need to wish him any ill.

This is the game, lads. We're more than happy to play it when we're after a promising player in non-league or whatever.

And I was told he received a £100,000 promotion bonus so I'd say he's fairly happy!

I think its because the way Bentley left was very different to how Payne left. Bentley IMO was always destined for bigger things and I think he picked the right time to leave. He'd also had around 3 years as first choice and gained a lot of experience, especially for a keeper of his age.

With regards to Payne, he only ever had 1 good season and even then it was really only half a season as at the beginning he wasn't playing that much. I always thought that at least one more season with us would been beneficial for his development. I thought he would often drift in and out of games and quite often you wouldn't even know he was there.

He clearly is a talented player but at best a lower league champ club but I think he left too early. If anything he was unlucky that Huddersfield got promoted as it has at least stopped his career with them for at least one season whilst they are in the Prem.

An agent trying to secure the best possible deal for his client? Whatever next.

28 appearances in a season wherein Huddersfield won promotion to the Premier League. That's not too shabby for a young player signed from League One.

Precisely. Payne received a nice deal at a top Championship club, and we were compensated appropriately for his development. So there's really no need to wish him any ill.

Where have I wished him ill? I was sating that he moved to soon.

So you don't believe he is better than any of our midfielders, or even central midfielders?

For the third time now, I don't, no. We have better players in my eyes and he wouldn't fit into our play, just like he didn't the last time.

Back