• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I have said on previous JP threads that the tribunal guide lines are £70,000 per year the player is with a club. In Jacks case 7 years, so around £490,000.

Other factors like amount of appearances and previous offers are taken into account. In Bentley's case those factors greatly favour us but not with Jack. Huddersfield will try play down his value so t would expect around half up front, then appearances and perhaps a 20% sell-on.

Fleetwood will get around £7million if Vardy goes to Arsenal this summer. Even Halifax will get over £1million.
£490,000 !!! No chance,be lucky to get £100,000 :winking:

As far as im concerned ,he didnt put in a c
decent shift for the club that spent money and time on him through its academy,went out of their way to play him in the first team , so the little dwarf as far as im concerned can f**k off and i hope he never reaches the heights that SUFC believes he can, DONT COME BACK JUDAS take your 30 pieces of silver and go.

:thumbdown:

How is he a Judas? He has moved, as many do, for better job prospects and better money. Convince me you wouldn't do exactly the same!

:thumbdown:

How is he a Judas? He has moved, as many do, for better job prospects and better money. Convince me you wouldn't do exactly the same!

He's made a knee jerk reaction to jump up a level at the first chance of asking. Huddersfield is a terrible career move for him despite them being a Championship club (for now)

Bentley will go with my blessing after giving us 3 years in the first team. Payne can **** off as far as I'm concerned with only 6 months as a regular first teamer with as many poor games as good ones and returned absolutely nothing on the Trusts' investment in him for all those years.

And no, I wouldn't do the same. I've been to Huddersfield and its an absolute hole.

I am pleased that Jack Payne has moved on, particularly if we get 200k or so for him. Feel he is too lightweight a player for the lower leagues, especially as a number 10, who we have to 'accommodate' in the team. He may well excel as he goes up through the divisions and in turn, we may well receive extra monies. Good move for both us and him.

Phil's magnetism (and the shirt) is obviously wearing off ! Bloody Agents !

I have said on previous JP threads that the tribunal guide lines are £70,000 per year the player is with a club. In Jacks case 7 years, so around £490,000.

Other factors like amount of appearances and previous offers are taken into account. In Bentley's case those factors greatly favour us but not with Jack. Huddersfield will try play down his value so t would expect around half up front, then appearances and perhaps a 20% sell-on.

Fleetwood will get around £7million if Vardy goes to Arsenal this summer. Even Halifax will get over £1million.

Can you explain where are you getting the £70,000 a year from as it doesn't mmediately make sense.

There are some real world examples here- including our very own Anthony Straker
http://fullcontactlaw.co.uk/2014/05/compensation-players-24-mystery/

As a small business owner, I've given youngsters a chance on a few occasions over the years. Most have stayed a few years to our mutual benefit before moving on to bigger things with my blessing. However one or two I can think of used us as a stepping stone to improve their CV's and jumped ship to bigger firms as soon as they'd learned enough to start giving us a return on our investment in them, which believe me dents your belief in giving youngsters an opportunity in the first place. Rightly or wrongly, for me JP falls into that category. I hope he does well so we make more money out of him as he progresses. Other than that I couldn't give a toss about him. he can **** off as far as I'm concerned.

As a small business owner, I've given youngsters a chance on a few occasions over the years. Most have stayed a few years to our mutual benefit before moving on to bigger things with my blessing. However one or two I can think of used us as a stepping stone to improve their CV's and jumped ship to bigger firms as soon as they'd learned enough to start giving us a return on our investment in them, which believe me dents your belief in giving youngsters an opportunity in the first place. Rightly or wrongly, for me JP falls into that category. I hope he does well so we make more money out of him as he progresses. Other than that I couldn't give a toss about him. he can **** off as far as I'm concerned.

the above sums it up well for me , maybe a little strong at the end but in general I agree. I want him to do well so that we benefit from it, I don't actually care that much if he does well or not from a 'Jack Payne ' perspective.

Can you explain where are you getting the £70,000 a year from as it doesn't mmediately make sense.

I would say Gobern and Cresswell are closer real-world examples and they were both in the £250k plus as much again in potential add-ons plus sell-on bracket, so a guess of around £490k including all add-ons doesn't seem bad.

So our best prospect for years has left. The only player that has got me out of my seat in the last two years, the only likely match-winner in our squad, the kid that team-mates and opposition coaches alike rate highly - gone. As for SZ he was treated mainly with indifference and labelled lightweight or a luxury player. Please study Pigott's goal at Wembley again, Payne made a slide tackle deep in our half, yet was still our most advanced player when the ball hit the net, some luxury player. Somebody said yesterday that we could/should not build a team around this number 10, but guess what, that's exactly what Huddersfield, with their 4-2-3-1 formation, intend to do. Mr Kavanagh stated that we started contract talks with him back in September, the same September when Brown failed to start him for all 5 matches. I personally think that the final straw was Bradford away when, despite being in fine form he was dropped to the bench. He tweeted that night that 'a bird cannot fly in a cage'. Well that bird was has now flown free and will go on to prove many doubters on here wrong.

Yes i to am sorry that Jack has gone,just like when Freddy and Stanley went.But as we all know a footballers career is short and they need to take their oppurtunities when they turn up.Southend is a small club so when big clubs come calling we dont stand a chance.The club wanted to keep him offered a new contract he declined and signed for Huddersfield his decison time will tell if he made the correct one.Very little Loyalty today anywhere with players exception maybe with Barrett its just a job for them.They dont have the same feelings as us fans,they come and go we dont.

We need to move on welcome the new players that want to play for us,wear the shirt with pride and put on a shift when there on the pitch.

From someone at he club who knows how these things work. It also depends on your academy status, when we finally get FF and the domes then we will be more protected and get more money as our academy will go up from 3 to a 2.

Last edited:
So our best prospect for years has left. The only player that has got me out of my seat in the last two years, the only likely match-winner in our squad, the kid that team-mates and opposition coaches alike rate highly - gone. As for SZ he was treated mainly with indifference and labelled lightweight or a luxury player. Please study Pigott's goal at Wembley again, Payne made a slide tackle deep in our half, yet was still our most advanced player when the ball hit the net, some luxury player. Somebody said yesterday that we could/should not build a team around this number 10, but guess what, that's exactly what Huddersfield, with their 4-2-3-1 formation, intend to do. Mr Kavanagh stated that we started contract talks with him back in September, the same September when Brown failed to start him for all 5 matches I personally think that the final straw was Bradford away when, despite being in fine form he was dropped to the bench.. He tweeted that night that 'a bird cannot fly in a cage'. Well that bird was has now flown free and will go on to prove many doubters on here wrong.

Back then he wasnt having an impact though, first part of the season he showed glimpses but in many games was a passenger, however he grew into the season. After then he featured in pretty much every game. Being on the bench for Bradford was one rare occassion he didnt play (wasnt that the one where the pitch was really poor and wouldnt have suited him?)

He earnt his right to start for the first team and thats where he was for well over half the season. Trying to use games he didnt play before he was showing any consistency as a reason for wanting is a weak excuse when he was actually pretty much guaranteed a start from November onwards.

Payne wanted to play in the Championship, he says so in his interview with Huddersfield. Im sure if we had played him every single game for 90 minutes he would still have left.

So our best prospect for years has left. The only player that has got me out of my seat in the last two years, the only likely match-winner in our squad, the kid that team-mates and opposition coaches alike rate highly - gone. As for SZ he was treated mainly with indifference and labelled lightweight or a luxury player. Please study Pigott's goal at Wembley again, Payne made a slide tackle deep in our half, yet was still our most advanced player when the ball hit the net, some luxury player. Somebody said yesterday that we could/should not build a team around this number 10, but guess what, that's exactly what Huddersfield, with their 4-2-3-1 formation, intend to do. Mr Kavanagh stated that we started contract talks with him back in September, the same September when Brown failed to start him for all 5 matches. I personally think that the final straw was Bradford away when, despite being in fine form he was dropped to the bench. He tweeted that night that 'a bird cannot fly in a cage'. Well that bird was has now flown free and will go on to prove many doubters on here wrong.

I predict he will play less games for Huddersfield next season than he did so for us last season. If he wanted just to play more then we would of been the obviously choice to stay at.

Yes and the nearest example on there in terms of time at club, appearances, level and new club is Cresswell (very similar- in fact JP has more appearances to his name). If you add that up it's very close to Rigsby's number. Note also the 20% add on. Of course it could go either way- Huddersfield probably thought they could offer £50k plus £50k later- if so they join the club of those that mistakenly think RM rolls over. What will help is the Huddersfield managers glowing assessment that he bought one of the most promising number 10s in all the leagues and that they are like hen's teeth. Exhibit A m'lud..

I predict he will play less games for Huddersfield next season than he did so for us last season. If he wanted just to play more then we would of been the obviously choice to stay at.

This is the fundamental point and we will see. If he goes and plays regularly then he will think he's done the right thing- irrespective of the drastic increase in spending money. If he struggles, plays little, Huddersfield struggle and he is watching us pushing for the playoffs he will think PB was right- and it will be the agents fault. Time will tell.

BTW I think we will be stronger rather than weaker because playing him is good for Jack and he often looks good but the team is weaker. My opinion only and I know many will disagree.

From someone at he club who knows how these things work. It also depends on your academy status, when we finally get FF and the domes then we will be more protected and get more money as our academy will go up from 3 to a 2.

I knew about the accademy status (and it is in the article I refered to ). I hope the £70,000 figure is good. I dont't think this is what you meant, but your first post implies that we get £70,000 per year regardless of how good the player is- common sesne says that must be wrong.

Back