• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I knew about the accademy status (and it is in the article I refered to ). I hope the £70,000 figure is good. I dont't think this is what you meant, but your first post implies that we get £70,000 per year regardless of how good the player is- common sesne says that must be wrong.

I did say it was a guide line. So the tribunal will decide if he is worth £1million or £50,000

Some very interesting comments on here ref JP, most of them measured other than one about him breaking his leg! It is clear that one or two on here have done a little bit of research on Town whilst others think we are also rans destined for relegation. Since Jurgen Klopps old Assistant David Wagner joined us last November there has been a complete transformation in the way our football is played. The club finished below our position of the previous season but you won't find a fan disgruntled with our style of football which is the best I have seen in 40 years. We have already signed 6 players including JP and 3 German recruits. The manager is overhauling the squad for a play off push next season and don't be surprised if it happens. We train twice a day at the same tempo as playing a game. We train at 7.45pm for 2 days before evening games. We are an unfashionable club but with a sound infrastructure including state of the art academy and training facilities. Our U18's and U21's won their leagues and the U21's a cup as well. We had 15 year olds playing in the U21's and the future for young players is bright.
From a Southend point of view JP is at a club who want to keep their best players but cannot afford to do so at any cost. Our track record in recent times of developing players is good. Jordan Rhodes £500k, sold for £8m. Alex Smithies, academy player sold for £2m,Jacob Butterfield £600k sold for £4m + add ons. Adam Clayton Free, Sold for £2m with add ons. There are others such as Anthony Pilkington. If JP develops and a good offer comes in then he will gone and sell on fees to pay.
Our only recent (3 seasons ago) tribunal was for a player from Southampton called Oscar Gobern. Age 21 midfielder with only a handful of first team starts. We had to pay £250k. Oscar was released after 2 years and after a short spell at QPR is now looking for a club! They don't all work out.

Some very interesting comments on here ref JP, most of them measured other than one about him breaking his leg! It is clear that one or two on here have done a little bit of research on Town whilst others think we are also rans destined for relegation. Since Jurgen Klopps old Assistant David Wagner joined us last November there has been a complete transformation in the way our football is played. The club finished below our position of the previous season but you won't find a fan disgruntled with our style of football which is the best I have seen in 40 years. We have already signed 6 players including JP and 3 German recruits. The manager is overhauling the squad for a play off push next season and don't be surprised if it happens. We train twice a day at the same tempo as playing a game. We train at 7.45pm for 2 days before evening games. We are an unfashionable club but with a sound infrastructure including state of the art academy and training facilities. Our U18's and U21's won their leagues and the U21's a cup as well. We had 15 year olds playing in the U21's and the future for young players is bright.
From a Southend point of view JP is at a club who want to keep their best players but cannot afford to do so at any cost. Our track record in recent times of developing players is good. Jordan Rhodes £500k, sold for £8m. Alex Smithies, academy player sold for £2m,Jacob Butterfield £600k sold for £4m + add ons. Adam Clayton Free, Sold for £2m with add ons. There are others such as Anthony Pilkington. If JP develops and a good offer comes in then he will gone and sell on fees to pay.
Our only recent (3 seasons ago) tribunal was for a player from Southampton called Oscar Gobern. Age 21 midfielder with only a handful of first team starts. We had to pay £250k. Oscar was released after 2 years and after a short spell at QPR is now looking for a club! They don't all work out.

Thanks for posting.
Looks like this will go to tribunal too- the outcome very likely to be similar- £250-300k then then 3 lots of £75k or more based on appearances and a 20% sell on. Could be less, could easily be a lot more. But I guess you can afford it being more and our chairman is the world's most stubborn man so no way will he accept less than he thinks is due. But let's put all that to one side.

I think the concern around Jack is firstly he gets to play regularly & second you realise he is not a midfielder- he doesn't tackle, is as bad in the air as you can be and will give the ball away a lot. On the other hand as a forward with a free role he will make things happen, undo defences and score goals. When it doesn't come off it doesn't matter (as it would in MF) and when it does its good- often very good.

I am sure your manager realises he has bought a forward not a midfielder (hence his comments about a number 10) and if he's given a long run in the team and looked after I am sure he will do well for you. If he gets asked to play in midfield he probably won't last long in the side, get splinters in his bum and start thinking he should have stayed where he was (at least until his pay cheque arrives again). FYI it wasn't until we took him out of midfield and put him up front that he was starting regularly in L1.

Just like to add he is very aware and has good anticipation in the box, makes some great runs. Quick feet and is and a natural finisher so he will do well for you I hope. Whilst obviously not the strongest tackler I have seen him chase back and pick peoples pocket especially away from home.

Just like to add he is very aware and has good anticipation in the box, makes some great runs. Quick feet and is and a natural finisher so he will do well for you I hope. Whilst obviously not the strongest tackler I have seen him chase back and pick peoples pocket especially away from home.

And at Wembley.

I did say it was a guide line. So the tribunal will decide if he is worth £1million or £50,000

sorry but if you read what you wrote it doesn't actually make sense .guideline based on what ? If the guide line is £70,000 a year how can you end up with a total figure of £50,000 If you had said a player of paynes ability, history/ club contract offer etc = £70,000 a year then it makes sense- but you didn't hence why I asked for clarification .

Last edited:
Mr Kavanagh stated that we started contract talks with him back in September, the same September when Brown failed to start him for all 5 matches. I personally think that the final straw was Bradford away when, despite being in fine form he was dropped to the bench. He tweeted that night that 'a bird cannot fly in a cage'. Well that bird was has now flown free and will go on to prove many doubters on here wrong.

:omg::omg:

sorry but if you read what you wrote it doesn't actually make sense .guideline based on what ? If the guide line is £70,000 a year how can you end up with a total figure of £50,000 If you had said a player of paynes ability, history/ club contract offer etc = £70,000 a year then it makes sense- but you didn't hence why I asked for clarification .

Yes I should have been a bit clearer. I meant a cheeky club might say he is only worth £50,000 (extreme) we might say £1million ( Ron being extreme).

Like you I have heard all sorts of rumours of how it works. So I asked someone who I know at the club how a tribunal works and he came up with the £70,000 per year figure. He was also disappointed with that figure. But as Payne has not made loads of appearances and I don't think we have had any previous offers I don't know how we could get more. Its the same for other clubs so I guess that's why we often have the sell-on fees later on.

:omg::omg:

In the end we accepted he is not a midfielder can't tackle and can't head the ball. So he was put somewhere without the cage of responsibilities all midfielders must carry and allowed a free role up front. This worked much better for him but also not in terms of results. PB probably if anything went too far at times to accommodate him but in the end he was a regular.

Ooo, sounds like something positive going on that might end up surprising a few folk. What are your odds for winning the Championship? If 5,000 to 1 I might now be tempted. :smile:

:thumbdown:

How is he a Judas? He has moved, as many do, for better job prospects and better money. Convince me you wouldn't do exactly the same!
Well its obvious had you been born with balls and been a decent footballer you wouldnt show any loyalty and jump ship at the first opportunity,. If he had put in a decent shift as Bentley has done i would have wished him every success in his career ,but he didnt.

What the hell does he see in Norman Clegg land, what does some little place in Yorkshire with a nice view have in common with a young londoner, miles from mates and family.

If truth be known, Brown is right, massive bad move for Jack, still there is always a trip to Ivy's for a nice couple of buns!

Well its obvious had you been born with balls and been a decent footballer you wouldnt show any loyalty and jump ship at the first opportunity,. If he had put in a decent shift as Bentley has done i would have wished him every success in his career ,but he didnt.

Nothing is "obvious"!!! My loyalty has been my undoing on more than one occasion so you're probably very wrong, however, what I will say to you is that these young footballers don't have to show "loyalty" to a club - it's a pathway along their career and they all want to play at a higher level. Are you seriously telling me that a much better offer from a Club in a higher division shouldn't be attractive to a young player because, if so, that's unrealistic.

Nothing is "obvious"!!! My loyalty has been my undoing on more than one occasion so you're probably very wrong, however, what I will say to you is that these young footballers don't have to show "loyalty" to a club - it's a pathway along their career and they all want to play at a higher level. Are you seriously telling me that a much better offer from a Club in a higher division shouldn't be attractive to a young player because, if so, that's unrealistic.

OBL can I just give you a little tip. Before you take any other posters seriously, always look at the amount of likes they have given.....Tells you a lot about a person.

Young players do read social media, Bentley certainly was affected by the abuse he got on twitter after some games. So no real surprise that both he and JP always had their best games away from RH and these 'emotional' supporters.

I'm sure they do, my point is that it is no different at any other club

Most patronising post of the week?

Perhaps the number of likes just shows how good a poster is at at formulating sound bites.

I did say how many the poster has GIVEN not received :thumbsup: Big difference. Those on here that slag the most never seem to agree with anyone other than themselves.

Apologies if this has been mentioned, but when will we know what compensation we are due for Payne?

I think it's highly unlikely we will ever know the true amount. Maybe when one of Ron's offshore company's has a large profit it might give us an idea

Back