• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I may have read thus wrong but Ron stating we have a good squad which Chris will get the best out of...in other words no new players

I think that’s a case of 2 + 2 = 5. We may have a good squad, CP will (we hope) get the best out of them. Does saying those two things mean that Ron believes we’ve achieved nirvana and nothing needs tweaking or changing? Bit of a leap for me.

I may have read thus wrong but Ron stating we have a good squad which Chris will get the best out of...in other words no new players

Chris Powell said:
Chris said "It will be challenging. Teams go for players very early on in January. We've lost a couple of players and we're a couple of players short but we're look at it because we have to make sure we have a squad who can see out the remaining 18 games."

Hopefully that means we will be after a couple of players, but does not mean we will persuade them to sign.

RM: "We would like to sign at least two players. A midfielder and maybe even two strikers."

RM: "Make no bones about it. We've assembled a great squad but they haven't performed to the way I would've expected. With some encouragement from someone like Chris they are still capable of doing well."

RM: "We would like to sign at least two players. A midfielder and maybe even two strikers."

RM: "Make no bones about it. We've assembled a great squad but they haven't performed to the way I would've expected. With some encouragement from someone like Chris they are still capable of doing well."

That’s more like it! Come on Uncle Ron, we believe in you!

There's probably a few FL clubs looking at Josh Rees now for those eager to try non-league talent. We had him on trial I think, and then he signed for Forest.

edit: it might have been after Forest actually.

I have taken a bit of a look at the scouting arrangements of every Premiership club ( limited info on lower league arrangements in the public domain)
I am delighted Ron is reviewing arrangements with the departure of Bob Shaw. I'm not expecting us to be in a position to fund what Premier clubs do of course, but it's interesting to see the extent of the varied models in operation. I hope Ron takes a little bit of time to reconsider our structure and what may be affordable and feasible.
A number of things stand out
1. Premier clubs regularly change and freshen up their scouting teams and structure
2.Who makes the final decision on purchase varies enormously from a larger, final say Committee, to the Manager, or Director of Football final say, or the Owner
3. Their is a huge variation in the number of scouts used and the focus area attached to them. Chelsea have streamlined to 12 regional scouts, Everton have 500 in the North West, Man Utd appointed a new lot of 50 as they felt they were falling behind. Some clubs focus more on the young, others local non league, others heavy in International, including South America.
4. There is a significant use of expensive analytics in many cases with some clubs buying their own system and using young analysts. Others just rely on videos. Arsenal use data analytics Stat Dna
5.noticeable that the most successful clubs have gone out and headhunted a scout with a very good track record. They also tend to be younger

I am just putting this out there as it may be of interest, my hope is that Ron has a little sniff around what others are doing at our level to work out the best structure for us going forward, although this may take a little time , and not so appropriate to the urgent need for signings during this window

I think we're in for our busiest deadline day in a long time. I still can't see anybody coming in before the weekend

No need to panic. Ron promised we will strengthen the squad in the transfer window.

Im confident something will move on this over this period. I just hope that lessons have finally been learned now that Ron is acting to strongly review and restructure and that from here on in we are never consistently late to the party ever again.

Back