• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sorry to pour water of the fire But Chris powell hasn't had enough time to stop and take in air as yet .I am sure he will do his best to bring in a player or two before next week .But if that doesn't happen then I like many others will hope he can re float the sinking ship and stave off relegation .And then rebuild in the summer .

Don't worry, irons in the fire, a number of players on the radar, and all that usual stuff. If we do sign someone it will only lead to another thread about how good the player is, how bad he is, too old, too young, and all that usual stuff too. Whoever lines up for us on Saturday, the usual crew or new additions, as long as they do their damnedest to give their all, that's all I care about.

I'm pretty sure we were one of the last one's to make a signing in the summer as well. But Brown always seemed to do that.

Quite correct matty, We were the last. We are experts at it. Its not new of course and we had i believe a long history of being late to sign , going back over 10 years and before Browns time. However under Bronie we hit new lows of lateness ! We are slug like on a number fronts from building a stadium, to paying the tax man ( hopefully Rons matured on this spat ) at one time paying players and consistently the worst club in our league for signing them . Credit to Ron though for always moving quickly on the replacement Manager front
In 2015 Phil conducted an interview in the Echo urging fans not to panic as no action was going on in the market , we ended up in the last 3 to sign. The following season Phil said it hampered us signing players late and he wanted to get in early as " we were not in the play offs " I.e. no problem. We were close to last, last season we were yep last and in this window, off the scale Last.
Now with a new Manager and grass roots clear out , including the Head Scout Im hoping a new strategy and approach will take shape

Quite correct matty, We were the last. We are experts at it. Its not new of course and we had i believe a long history of being late to sign , going back over 10 years and before Browns time. However under Bronie we hit new lows of lateness ! We are slug like on a number fronts from building a stadium, to paying the tax man ( hopefully Rons matured on this spat ) at one time paying players and consistently the worst club in our league for signing them . Credit to Ron though for always moving quickly on the replacement Manager front
In 2015 Phil conducted an interview in the Echo urging fans not to panic as no action was going on in the market , we ended up in the last 3 to sign. The following season Phil said it hampered us signing players late and he wanted to get in early as " we were not in the play offs " I.e. no problem. We were close to last, last season we were yep last and in this window, off the scale Last.
Now with a new Manager and grass roots clear out , including the Head Scout Im hoping a new strategy and approach will take shape

Barry C, are you sure PB was the main reason for our sluggish pace in the transfer market? It seems to me RM has had the final say on sanctioning transfers and effectively determining their timing.

Simple question - does anyone know if we are we under an embargo? That would explain our lack of transfer activity even in the loan market.

I have to say that the RM statement regarding PB leaving..did give me the impression that Ron makes the signings.
We also have to remember that in our lowly league position we are not the most attractive option to any decent player or prospect.

CP is saying Phil was trying to sign Matt Lund before he was sacked.He has now signed for Bradford, really hope Ron realises sacking your manager 3 weeks into a 4 and a bit weeks transfer window isn't the best thing to do. If we don't get any one in i will be gutted..

CP is saying Phil was trying to sign Matt Lund before he was sacked.He has now signed for Bradford, really hope Ron realises sacking your manager 3 weeks into a 4 and a bit transfer window isn't the best thing to do. If we don't get any one in i will be gutted..

It’s no wonder he lost his job along with Bob Shaw. Yet another transfer target who is someone who has previously played for us.

Barry C, are you sure PB was the main reason for our sluggish pace in the transfer market? It seems to me RM has had the final say on sanctioning transfers and effectively determining their timing.

Not that Barry will listen but PB certainly wasn't the reason we struggle to sign players. Nor was he the reason we have no loan players this season. We have even competed well in wages on offer but there are other reasons as to why.

Chris Powell will now have the same problems.

It’s no wonder he lost his job along with Bob Shaw. Yet another transfer target who is someone who has previously played for us.

Absolutely. I understand that the Chairman's realisation of this based on Brown's targets were what led him to pull the trigger in the end.

There just seemed to be an inability to consistently identify and/or attract players outside of those who had either:

a) played for us under Brown before;
b) played for another club under Brown before, or;
c) played against us recently for another club.

I started seeing signs of this 2 seasons ago.....Sokolik, O'Neill, etc. It was noticeable but not an issue at that stage. But in the last year or 2 it has gotten worse.

What the reasons are for it I'm not sure. Whether it's because Brown's reputation in the wider football world was poor and put quite a few new players off coming here or what. I've heard rumblings that Horton and Shaw let Brown down when it came to recruitment but that doesn't wash with me. He's the manager and if he's not happy with the work that his scouting team are doing to identify realistic new targets then he has the power to remove them or to take a lead in scouting himself. He did neither.

This is where I hope Powell will do better. A quality career as a player; a reputation for being one of the game's nicest blokes; good man management skills; a new backroom team; a recent stint scouting for Spurs and a 5-year spell as PFA Chairman. He should have quite the list of contacts and I expect him to perform better on this front.

I dare say PB would have often liked to bring in players earlier and of a better calibre but clubs like our own work under obvious constraints. Most of the fans understand and accept this. What we don't like is all the usual bollocks spouted by managers that know the issues and yet nigh on promise things they cannot deliver. Unrealistic targets, ' players in before the next match', and 'only players that improve the squad.'

I, as many others do, wish they would just shut up. Sorry Rigsby but PB was one of the worst for nonsense talk.

I dare say PB would have often liked to bring in players earlier and of a better calibre but clubs like our own work under obvious constraints. Most of the fans understand and accept this. What we don't like is all the usual bollocks spouted by managers that know the issues and yet nigh on promise things they cannot deliver. Unrealistic targets, ' players in before the next match', and 'only players that improve the squad.'

I, as many others do, wish they would just shut up. Sorry Rigsby but PB was one of the worst for nonsense talk.

Wow signings spring to mind

Personally think we need a CM, AM, W at least. 5 days left, we're leaving it a bit late!

Back