• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Did he actually play a game for Bury? Do friendlies count in this rule? I'm not sure if he played for Bury, friendly or league game but if he did, then you are spot on
Played 2 games for them, the second being when they lost 4-1 to Wigan and Clark pinned it on him, never played for them again.

Would say that Adam T. has found out that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Clearly Bradford don't rate him as amongst others they have taken another 2 defenders on loan this week. Adam was quoted as saying he would know at the end of the season whether he had the right move. Suggest he already knows the answer to that

I think if its called an emergency loan he can play for a third team. Cover for injured centre backs ? On the other hand I can't see the point of bringing him back. Are Bury and Bradford both wrong ?

I think if its called an emergency loan he can play for a third team. Cover for injured centre backs ? On the other hand I can't see the point of bringing him back. Are Bury and Bradford both wrong ?

Emergency loans were done away with a couple of seasons ago, the only time they are permitted now is if you don't have a fit senior goalkeeper (and they have to be sent back as soon as one of your keepers regains fitness).

Emergency loans were done away with a couple of seasons ago, the only time they are permitted now is if you don't have a fit senior goalkeeper (and they have to be sent back as soon as one of your keepers regains fitness).

Thanks... I missed that. I was hoping to open up hours of pointless debate tho' !:winking:

Look he went because he was not feeling 'loved' by the new contract discussions. This is just another way of saying his agent was finding him more money on offer elsewhere (and no doubt encouraging him to take it). Most agents are good on money negotiation and very bad on career advise ( particularly if good advise hits them in the pocket)

AT was playing his best football ever and had just got into the full NI squad so with hindsight or not it looks like a very bad career decision. Payne, Lenny absolutely you can understand- Atkinson and AT and the love deficit resulting in moves to Mansfield and Bury??... Moves that given where they were at career wise very risky with a lot of downside risk against not a lot the other way.

Look he went because he was not feeling 'loved' by the new contract discussions. This is just another way of saying his agent was finding him more money on offer elsewhere (and no doubt encouraging him to take it). Most agents are good on money negotiation and very bad on career advise ( particularly if good advise hits them in the pocket)

AT was playing his best football ever and had just got into the full NI squad so with hindsight or not it looks like a very bad career decision. Payne, Lenny absolutely you can understand- Atkinson and AT and the love deficit resulting in moves to Mansfield and Bury??... Moves that given where they were at career wise very risky with a lot of downside risk against not a lot the other way.

I can understand why Atkinson chose to move, probably felt he may have been a bit part player this season so I suspect regular football was a big part.

AT on the other hand, that was a bizarre decision; maybe if he had got to someone like Bradford from the beginning I could have understood. Reminds me a bit of the Sokolik decision and look what happened to him.

I can understand why Atkinson chose to move, probably felt he may have been a bit part player this season so I suspect regular football was a big part.

AT on the other hand, that was a bizarre decision; maybe if he had got to someone like Bradford from the beginning I could have understood. Reminds me a bit of the Sokolik decision and look what happened to him.

Except he is regularly on the bench at Mansfield..

I suppose the real aerial threat thing is useful to a point, at corners , free kicks, set pieces etc, helps no doubt .( providing you can jump ) Givers the option if thats what we want of more long ball lobbing. However as we know the greats in the main have been challenged by their own height, From Best to Law , Maradona, Pele and Messi.
A leading goalscorer said " you learn stuff in games that you wont learn in training, you need to be able to hold the ball up, because the more you do, the more chances you get, and therefore the more goals you will score, its all linked, but you have to work on your first touch or you are never going to hold the ball up."
Fortune is a bit of an enigma though because he can sometimes be excellent at holding the ball up, and occasionally his first touch lets him down , but his actual scoring rate is very poor

I suppose the real aerial threat thing is useful to a point, at corners , free kicks, set pieces etc, helps no doubt .( providing you can jump ) Givers the option if thats what we want of more long ball lobbing. However as we know the greats in the main have been challenged by their own height, From Best to Law , Maradona, Pele and Messi.
A leading goalscorer said " you learn stuff in games that you wont learn in training, you need to be able to hold the ball up, because the more you do, the more chances you get, and therefore the more goals you will score, its all linked, but you have to work on your first touch or you are never going to hold the ball up."
Fortune is a bit of an enigma though because he can sometimes be excellent at holding the ball up, and occasionally his first touch lets him down , but his actual scoring rate is very poor

I have heard fans talk about Best but I never new the others had played for us.

You're right the greats aren't always big target men, however the greats also aren't going to playing in League 1, and if they are they're going to get snapped up by a bigger club very quickly. More technical players have their place in league 1 but they need to be played with more physical players to compensate for their weaknesses in the air.

It's nearly impossible to play the passing game Barcelona play with League 1 players because teams don't have the budget to get 11 players that will never misplace a pass. Teams have tried it before in this league and have generally found themselves near the relegation zone because, whilst it creates chances for them, if you keep giving the ball away you're just inviting pressure. Sometimes the less technically gifted players in the team do need to play it long to get out of trouble and that's why you need someone like Fortune up front who is going to be capable of winning things in the air.

Interesting that Bradford maybe don't rate Thompson. Didn't they lose 0-4 yesterday. Sounds like they have huge defensive problems

Back