• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Assuming Ron can find the dosh, do you want him here or not?

• Yeah, were desparate

Votes: 68 41.0%
  • Nope, were not that desperate

Votes: 13 7.8%
  • I'm still thinking about it

Votes: 21 12.7%
  • Bart

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Yep, he looks like he could bring something to the team that we're missing

Votes: 55 33.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We should be focusing on defensive reinforcements if you ask me. We can probably get a CB on loan but Will Atkinson's role hasn't been replaced as yet. We lose a great defensive minded player in the summer who started most games last season, especially away and then wonder why teams are suddenly cutting through us.

SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown is keen on signing former Gillingham midfielder Josh Wright.

More...

Unimpressive whenever I've seen him.

He started 26 games plus 3 as sub in the Orient side relegated from this division a couple of years ago scoring 2 goals.

Gills missed relegation by a point last season.

Much prefer to give Yearwood a run in the team.

He is not old or remotely injury prone. We haven't got a chance In hell.

We absolutely dont need him . We already have a massive imbalance in our squad , the last thing we need is yet another attacking midfielder. Wordsworth will be back soon , in the meantime Kightly should be playing in that " just behind the front 2 " role ..... Yearwood is good enough already at this level , Jack Bridge would be good enough if given half a chance. When Ranger is playing then maybe Cox might need to drop back in order to fit in all our other attacking options. What we dont need is another unhappy player sulking coz he cant fit into our top heavy squad.

FFS we need defensive players !!!!!!!!!!! :dim::dim::dim:

I'd say we do need him.

He is not an attacking midfielder either he only scored so many last year because he was on pens I think he actually scored a hat trick of pens in one game.

Get him on board, he definitely has something and can score goals from midfield, will add good competition to the squad.

We should be focusing on defensive reinforcements if you ask me. We can probably get a CB on loan but Will Atkinson's role hasn't been replaced as yet. We lose a great defensive minded player in the summer who started most games last season, especially away and then wonder why teams are suddenly cutting through us.

It doesn't need to be replaced. We just need to stop playing Demetriou who is the only one currently suffering in Atkinson's absence

It doesn't need to be replaced. We just need to stop playing Demetriou who is the only one currently suffering in Atkinson's absence

I said we'd miss Atkinson. Demetriou seems to me would be more comfortable in a 352 but if we don't have any fit central defenders we can't play that.
I don't know this guy Josh Wright but if he is a defensive/hard working midfielder we are right to be interested

We absolutely dont need him . We already have a massive imbalance in our squad , the last thing we need is yet another attacking midfielder. Wordsworth will be back soon , in the meantime Kightly should be playing in that " just behind the front 2 " role ..... Yearwood is good enough already at this level , Jack Bridge would be good enough if given half a chance. When Ranger is playing then maybe Cox might need to drop back in order to fit in all our other attacking options. What we dont need is another unhappy player sulking coz he cant fit into our top heavy squad.

FFS we need defensive players !!!!!!!!!!! :dim::dim::dim:
who are the current unhappy sulking players?

This is exactly the kind of player we should be going for. Can't understand why people are moaning about us trying to sign a midfielder that has scored more goals in the past couple of seasons than the majority of our strikers combined!

We only have one decent attacking midfielder in Wordsworth, so why wouldn't you bring in cover for him when he is out injured and strengthened the squad at the same time..
The club is crying out for another attacking midfielder who has Goals in him..

Last edited:
Ayrshire Blue said:
Quite right. Although I'd leave out MacG, play Kightly on the right, and bring MacL back on the left.

I've been banging on about needing another CM for ages. Timlin does a job but over the course of a season; you won't get promoted with him playing there. His passing isn't good enough. Whereas Wordsworth is good enough but is frequently injured. Therefore, another CM is a must! I can't see any of our strikers getting 18+ goals, not the way Brown plays, so getting goals from midfield is something we certainly need. Also, competition for Worsworth, and Lenny for that matter, is always welcome. Keeping players on their toes so they don't get comfortable is essential to ensuring the team is fresh.

Last year Paul Konchesky left Gills abruptly, outside of the window. I'd guess Pennock isn't an easy guy to work under...

We need a CB on loan right now, that should be priority. Is Wright just a goal scoring midfielder? Kightly and Leonard both have two goals already and McLaughlin is off the mark. I feel like we can manage for goals from midfield until Wordsworth is back.

But if he's a grafter, and will remove pressure from Leonard and other players we should throw our hat in the ring because Atkinson's work rate is missed.

Last year Paul Konchesky left Gills abruptly, outside of the window. I'd guess Pennock isn't an easy guy to work under...

We need a CB on loan right now, that should be priority. Is Wright just a goal scoring midfielder? Kightly and Leonard both have two goals already and McLaughlin is off the mark. I feel like we can manage for goals from midfield until Wordsworth is back.

But if he's a grafter, and will remove pressure from Leonard and other players we should throw our hat in the ring.

Wright is more than capable at this level and we need bodies in midfield. Atkinson has left a hole and with Wordsworth injury-prone we're definitely light on numbers. As promising as Yearwood is he shouldn't be this close to starting at the moment and that shows how short we are in the middle of the park.

Wright is more than capable at this level and we need bodies in midfield. Atkinson has left a hole and with Wordsworth injury-prone we're definitely light on numbers. As promising as Yearwood is he shouldn't be this close to starting at the moment and that shows how short we are in the middle of the park.

I just added a bit to refer to Atkinson when I said removing pressure after you qouted...

I don't know too much about Wright, so I can't comment other than what I've said. But CB is at crisis point. What worries you more, Yearwood starting in CM or Coutts and Matsuzaka in CB?

Back