• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cute that people are trying to drag out the season saying there's a chance we could go down. This season is done not up, not down time for the rebuild.

Of course we won't go down but some of you older folks might just remember the famous relegation story concerning Blackpool from 1978. I have just checked on Wikipedia....

At the start of April 1978 with 6 games to go, Blackpool were 8th in Div 2 (22 teams at the time) and 9 points clear of the 3rd relegation place (remember only 2 for a win back then )

By the end of April they were relegated to the 3rd tier for the first time on 37 points, with 7 teams above them finishing on 38. They stayed in the lower leagues for 29 years.

They had finished their season in 16th place, 2 points clear and better goal difference than the relegation slot. In the days of last games played on different days, on the very last day most of the teams below them had one game to play and were playing each other.

There were 27 different combinations of possible results......Only one of which would see Blackpool relegated and obviously that was the one that came in. It was in an era of some very 'dogy' last day results.

If we were to lose all 5

MK after beating us would still need 9 points from a possible 12
Rochdale would still need 12 points from a possible 18
Oldham after beating us would need another 7 from the other 18 possible
AFC Wimbledon 8 from 15
Walsall 7 from 18
Oxford after beating us would need 4 from 12
Donny 4 from 21
Gills 3 from 15
Bradford will be safe if they beat us

I reckon someone may well drop with 51 or 52 points, but I imagine we are going to do enough over the next 5 games to at least finish above Bradford (in free fall) MK and Rochdale.
fingers crossed MK Dons go down and the real Dons stay up

I think we should gain at least one more point this season v MK Dons at home and should also get something v Bradford unless they wake up. So no worries then.

It's still all to play for at the bottom of the table with I think 2 places up for grabs. There's been only 3 good sides in the league and the rest pretty average at best and very inconsistent. With the fixtures left it's quite feasible that MK Dons and Rochdale escape and someone like Oxford or even Bradford drop. 53 points still may not be enough.

Yes, that shake up at the bottom is really tight and the clubs in freefall are in the biggest danger.

It'll be interesting to see who plays who in the run-in but, like you say, 53 points might still be only just enough.

I'll try and dig the remaining fixtures out.

Right, I won't list all the fixtures, but some interesting matches to come :-

Northampton

Of their four remaining games they have to play Walsall (A) and Oldham (H) so a couple of six pointers there

MK Dons

3 games out of the 5 are away, including at Shrewsbury and us, of course

Rochdale

4 home games still for them, including Oldham and an away trip to Oxford

Oldham

5 of their remaining 7 games are against sides at the bottom with them, so they probably have the best chance of survival from those on the edge

Wimbledon

3 away games out of 5 for them, including Wigan. They also play Walsall (A) and Oldham (H)

Walsall

4 away out of 6 for them. They have Oldham, Wimbledon and Northampton to play

Oxford

Seriously dodgy run-in for them :-

Southend (H)
Wigan (A)
Doncaster (A)
Rochdale (H)
Blackburn (A)

In short, I can see Oxford being dragged into it. I think Northampton are pretty much down and I'd fancy MK Dons, as well.

Bottom two have effectively gone. And MK Dons and Rochdale have averaged marginally over a point a game so far this season. So even 50 points for them would represent significantly improved form in their remaining games.
Nothing to see here, move along sir.

Oldham v Walsall tonight.

Bury are down, by my reckoning, bar a mathematical miracle, as one of Rochdale or Oldham will definitely reach 45 points, as they are playing each other in the next couple of weeks.

A win for Oldham tonight sends Bury down anyway.

Bradford play one of their games in hand tonight against Shrews at home. Will their poor run end and see them jump to 56 points?

Bradford play one of their games in hand tonight against Shrews at home. Will their poor run end and see them jump to 56 points?

Bradford fans seem to think the attendance tonight will be below 10,000 even though they have nearly 20,000 season ticket holders. Although the 'official' attendance will still be over 19,000.
Will try and watch a bit of it.

Bradford fans seem to think the attendance tonight will be below 10,000 even though they have nearly 20,000 season ticket holders. Although the 'official' attendance will still be over 19,000.
Will try and watch a bit of it.

Please do - it would be good to have some information about their performance. :thumbsup:

Please do - it would be good to have some information about their performance. :thumbsup:

Missed 1st half. Just started watching 2nd half 0-0 Not much happening. Pitch looks terrible & definately not a 20,000 crowd.
Few people on Bradford forum think the crowd is about 7,000.

61 mins still 0-0 Shrewsbury player sent off.

73 mins 0-0 Bradford playing better against the 10 men. Went close with a header.

We should feel at home on their pitch!

0-0 final score

No 'official' attendance figure yet. The official attendance was 18,997. I see they have only sold 10,500 cheap season tickets so far for next season and they have had a price cut off date already.

Last edited:
Back