• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RobM

55 years as a supporter!⭐
Following on from the Wycombe thread, have you ever left a match early by choice and if so why?

I recall may years ago a match v. Exeter. We were 3-1 up and I heard "Come on son, there won't be any more goals now". Ah. Finished 6-1! :dim:

I have left early twice by choice - 1-2 v. Huddersfield which sent us down :'( and a 0-3 home defeat by Wrexham which was the worst game ever, ever, ever and not just because of the result. :sad:

Left 10 minutes early when we lost 4-1 at Rushden, mainly to get the **** out of the stupid car park quickly.

Yesterday to get the earlier train. Can safely say I've never been booed for leaving a game early though before yesterday. Oh well. I'm sure the say fans that booed were at all the other away games this season and didn't go yesterday just because of the free travel... :whistling:

Yesterday to get the earlier train. Can safely say I've never been booed for leaving a game early though before yesterday. Oh well. I'm sure the say fans that booed were at all the other away games this season and didn't go yesterday just because of the free travel... :whistling:

So if it was 1-1 or we were winning would you have left that early to get the train?

Being at any other away game makes no difference whatsoever. I was going to away games before you born probably, the likes of Newcastle, Huddesfield, Swindon, Fiorentina etc etc so keep your opinions on what away games others attend to yourself.

For the record, I went to Luton with my son, paid for the coach. Yesterday was a great gesture by SUFC to lay on free coaches so why wouldn't those that can't normally go due to financial restrictions go?

So you go to every away game, you live at home, have no commitments...well done you

So if it was 1-1 or we were winning would you have left that early to get the train?

Being at any other away game makes no difference whatsoever. I was going to away games before you born probably, the likes of Newcastle, Huddesfield, Swindon, Fiorentina etc etc so keep your opinions on what away games others attend to yourself.

For the record, I went to Luton with my son, paid for the coach. Yesterday was a great gesture by SUFC to lay on free coaches so why wouldn't those that can't normally go due to financial restrictions go?

So you go to every away game, you live at home, have no commitments...well done you

And well done you for watching the whole game. I'm sure you really enjoyed it. I personally would rather get home a bit earlier than watch a gutless performance.

And well done you for watching the whole game. I'm sure you really enjoyed it. I personally would rather get home a bit earlier than watch a gutless performance.

And that's being a loyal supporter is it? It works both ways you see. You can't just watch till the end when we are winning, you need to watch through thick and thin. As has been said before, if you think the last few years have been poor, you ain't seen nothing. The Alan Little years were awful and we have been a lot worse than that still.

You look at some of the fans there yesterday, the older ones, the ones in their 60's, 70's and 80's. They are the real loyal fans, the ones that have seen the most horrendous of seasons, players and managers yet were still there yesterday. That is real loyal fans

DWB

I am a university student and study away in canterbury meaning any games I wish to do I travel back and have to pay £35 for the train

dispite this last season I managed to complete over 5500 miles travelling to watch SuFc excluding canterbury - Hockley and excluding the games at home I came back for

i have little money, im a student whose loan doesn't even cover my rent.

I left yesterday with 10 mins to go to get the earlier train.. Am I not a loyal supporter? How dare you sit on your high horse because you stayed to the end of a game, that makes you no better than the fans around you? Wrong

what defines a "loyal fan" is supporting the team consistently through thick and thin.. Tuning in to bbc essex on a Saturday afternoon because I can't afford to travel back and to the game? Am I not loyal because of this?

your argument is completely invalid imo. If people leave at 2-1 I would agree with you, but 4-1 down with 10 men? Pfft

oh and as for this argument of "going to games before you was born".. Sorry it's my fault I was born when I was. You may have been going before I was born but It's the same as me saying Iwill be going long after you've died...?

As far as I'm concerned if you pay your money then you get to leave whenever you want especially when losing by a three goal margin away from home with 10-20 minutes to go! This loyal supporter b****cks really gets on my nerves, whilst I rarely leave a game early I certainly will not criticise those who choose to do so, I mean what exactly are you trying to prove by sticking it out to the end?

The only time I have ever left early is when Cole Ewe's third goal went in at RH in the Championship season. The bloke I came with (who was driving) said "**** this, let's go" and that was it. I didn't argue as that was truly as depressing as it gets. In 46 years of being a football fan and going to games, I cannot ever remember leaving another game early though.

DWB

I am a university student and study away in canterbury meaning any games I wish to do I travel back and have to pay £35 for the train

dispite this last season I managed to complete over 5500 miles travelling to watch SuFc excluding canterbury - Hockley and excluding the games at home I came back for

i have little money, im a student whose loan doesn't even cover my rent.

I left yesterday with 10 mins to go to get the earlier train.. Am I not a loyal supporter? How dare you sit on your high horse because you stayed to the end of a game, that makes you no better than the fans around you? Wrong

what defines a "loyal fan" is supporting the team consistently through thick and thin.. Tuning in to bbc essex on a Saturday afternoon because I can't afford to travel back and to the game? Am I not loyal because of this?

your argument is completely invalid imo. If people leave at 2-1 I would agree with you, but 4-1 down with 10 men? Pfft

Never said you weren't Lenny. If your student loan doesn't even cover your rent, how do you afford to go to these games? Just interested, not judging. I'd go to more away games if I could afford not to pay my mortgage but the bank would take a dim view I think and I'd end up homeless.

People are loyal in their own way but for someone to bleat on about how much of a loyal fan they are because they go to every away game (not talking about you) yet to leave 20 mins early because we are losing or only have 10 men doesn't seem particularly loyal to me.

Never said you weren't Lenny. If your student loan doesn't even cover your rent, how do you afford to go to these games? Just interested, not judging. I'd go to more away games if I could afford not to pay my mortgage but the bank would take a dim view I think and I'd end up homeless.

People are loyal in their own way but for someone to bleat on about how much of a loyal fan they are because they go to every away game (not talking about you) yet to leave 20 mins early because we are losing or only have 10 men doesn't seem particularly loyal to me.

My family give me money to live on and with this I budget and put money aside after paying my Bills and money for food.

as far as I'm concerned if you go to a concert and the performance by the act is dreadful you would boo and leave.. Is this not the same? We was awful yesterday and again it's infront of a large following. If ypu spend your money to travel and wish to leave then do so.

as I've said if it was 2-1 and people left i too would be angered, but the game was lost and I didn't want to see their fans celebrating a convincing win against a suppose promotion rival.

"As far as I'm concerned if you go to a concert and the performance by the act is dreadful you would boo and leave.. Is this not the same? We was awful yesterday and again it's infront of a large following. If ypu spend your money to travel and wish to leave then do so."

Precisely. Would you happily pay £21 to see a rubbish comedian every week in the hope that you might hear a decent joke? I doubt it.

My family give me money to live on and with this I budget and put money aside after paying my Bills and money for food.

as far as I'm concerned if you go to a concert and the performance by the act is dreadful you would boo and leave.. Is this not the same? We was awful yesterday and again it's infront of a large following. If ypu spend your money to travel and wish to leave then do so.

as I've said if it was 2-1 and people left i too would be angered, but the game was lost and I didn't want to see their fans celebrating a convincing win against a suppose promotion rival.

Going to a concert is different and much like going out for a meal. It's a one off. Going to see a football match and a team that you support through thin and thick is a different thing entirely. At 4-1 down, yes the game is most likely lost but you never know what could happen in the last 20 mins. That's what makes football so exciting (mostly anyway)

Seeing the opposition fans celebrating a convincing thing is something you get used to when you have been going as long as me, you'll get used to it, don't worry :smile:

We left after the fourth goal because we were being outplayed, down to ten men, were freezing cold and didn't want to sit in the car waiting 30 mins after the game to get out of the car park (as has been the case on previous visits). It was a spur of the moment decision and none of us felt bad or disloyal for leaving early. We are all looking forward to Friday against Burton and hopefully it will be our day then and we all promise to stay to the end if we win. :winking:

"As far as I'm concerned if you go to a concert and the performance by the act is dreadful you would boo and leave.. Is this not the same? We was awful yesterday and again it's infront of a large following. If ypu spend your money to travel and wish to leave then do so."

Precisely. Would you happily pay £21 to see a rubbish comedian every week in the hope that you might hear a decent joke? I doubt it.

Just get to Roots Hall, the viewing is a joke most games :winking:

Back