• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We'd have been relegated either way. We carried on scoring goals at the same rate without Barnard as we did with him. The difference second half of the season was that we couldn't defend and that the players weren't getting paid.

I know its all hypothetical as its not going to happen but you really think Southend would stump up anything like that a month? Maybe 10% but that's an absolute maximum.

No one would. The only way that Lee Barnard is leaving Southampton this season on anything other than a loan is if they pay his contract up.

I for once agree with Barna too and I stated at the time it was the wrong decision. I know it was mentioned an unhappy player won't put in the effort etc but I do feel keeping Barnard would have saved us from relegation. Reminded me very much of the season we let Tilly go when he was playing for us and we got relegated that season too. Releasing key players was the catalyst for our decline on both occasions.

On the other hand, maybe the Barnard money kept us afloat and without the sale we would be no more anyway.

I agree with you all about his going - but I would not have him back - how many returnees have ever worked out for us ?

With the amounts of money Southampton are splashing around in the market wouldnt surprise me if they tore up his contract and allowed him to go for nothing. Still out of our price range though even if we could sign him for nothing

I agree with you all about his going - but I would not have him back - how many returnees have ever worked out for us ?

Spencer Prior. Andy Edwards. Dave Webb.

Freddy Eastwood is going to score 38 goals this season so might as well add him to the list now.

To be honest (and I am only going on heresay) I'm not sure he's the sort of character we really want anyway. Got himself in trouble at Southampton, plus by all accounts you wouldn't want him as a landlord..

Never works having one big time charlie on high wages in a team of low paid honest triers..

To be honest (and I am only going on heresay) I'm not sure he's the sort of character we really want anyway. Got himself in trouble at Southampton, plus by all accounts you wouldn't want him as a landlord..

Never works having one big time charlie on high wages in a team of low paid honest triers..

He is anything but a big time Charlie mate. Really nice down to earth guy.

Indeed. No poor landlords at Southend please. Couldnt bear the shame of it.

What did he do wrong as a landlord? Try to evict his tentants? As for is character Timlin has just come out of jail and were happy to keep him?

What did he do wrong as a landlord? Try to evict his tentants? As for is character Timlin has just come out of jail and were happy to keep him?

He offered them £100 to leave immediately rather than give them their full notice.

Bit daft but hardly interesting.

He offered them £100 to leave immediately rather than give them their full notice.

Bit daft but hardly interesting.

The way I heard it they weren't given much choice, but I don't know him personally and as I said it was heresay so I'll bow to those who know him better.

CP tweeted to say his name had not been mentioned so guess its just speculation with nothing behind it

Interested to hear some say we sold him to deal with our financial issues. Didn't we take on Patterson in return, then spent ages trying to shake him off the wage bill - must have been on a fair bit!?

Interested to hear some say we sold him to deal with our financial issues. Didn't we take on Patterson in return, then spent ages trying to shake him off the wage bill - must have been on a fair bit!?

Yes he was on a fair wage.

He was meant to supplement the £150k or so that Barnard went for, when in reality he just wiped out any profit we made on him.

I doubt he would want a return after our vile chairman spouted nonsense about him 'downing tools' a few years ago.

So our core-support can dish out literally vile abuse to our own players in their own stadium and that's OK because they have paid for their ticket and it's all about free speech, but RM can't hint that a player has issued a "Sell me or I won't try" ultimatum without arousing the wrath of the Loyal Supporters?

:stunned:

My hunch is that he won't come back here. As someone said on here there was a bit of a fall-out with our illustrious Chairman not at the time of when he left but in the months previous to that as well. With the momey he has been used to earning in recent times would he be another who'd accept a pay cut? It must also be said with Lee whats his fitness/availability going to be like? If he can play regularly and is willing to take a cut then a good re-signing. But my guess is this won't happen. Charlie Lee maybe but not Lee Barnard.

I think also we would want a Forward who has pace. Corr, Eastwood hardly blessed with this. Njie may have but he will naturally still have a lot to learn because of his young age and inexperience.

Back