• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

As others have said it's actually a good idea - unfortunately the timing is all wrong. Given a firm date of moving to the new stadium and with work underway then I would have thought there would be no problem in selling them but as it stands it will be seen as RM trying to line his own pockets again!

I also thought the following when I saw this...

1) Are we not going to be wearing a Nike shirt then in a few seasons time? Is this a way of us going back to some god awful shirt manufacturer?
2) More importantly HOW VERY DARE anyone from the current hierarchy use the names of people they have openly ripped off in the past 6 months and in one case refused to pay them whilst on gardening leave to profit from them? I felt sick seeing Tilly being used to push a shirt given the ludicrous way he's been treated by his boss. You can't have it all your own way. Scratch that, you can but it just shows how far from being in touch with your paying customers you really are.

Is this going to be just a t-shirt or will it be a shirt that we will be playing in?

That's what I want to know as well.

If it's a shirt the team will wear for the last season at The Hall, then I imagine many more would be tempted to part with a lot of money.

Still not sure it will actually be a match shirt? Quite a few replies on here from people that think this will be a match shirt but nowhere does it state that it will be.

Also have we not had more than 4 club crests since 1955? There was a round club crest in the late 1960's and what about the SUFC boot shaped crest from the late 1970's?

No chance of 1,000 people taking this offer up, they will be lucky to get 100 names.

Still not sure it will actually be a match shirt? Quite a few replies on here from people that think this will be a match shirt but nowhere does it state that it will be.

Also have we not had more than 4 club crests since 1955? There was a round club crest in the late 1960's and what about the SUFC boot shaped crest from the late 1970's?

No chance of 1,000 people taking this offer up, they will be lucky to get 100 names.

Was that not a shrimp on the shirt I know the boot featured on the programme but i believe the shrimp was used on the kit that resembled Chelseas of that era

hang on, if you dont want to spend £100, then dont, no one is making anyone spend this money. It is up to the person spending the money, not anyone else on this forum surely.

If I decided I wanted to spend the money, because I like stuff like this , what has it got to do with anyone else on this forum ??

Am I the only one who thinks it's worth a ton to see "Dave ****rock" on the shirt?

I thought it was an April Fool six months early, the most bizarre marketing scheme I have ever seen. If I want my name on a shirt I can get it for for about £10 in Rayleigh Lanes market

Ah but what if you want your name on someones elses shirt?

£100 does seem a bit steep at a time when austerity measures are affecting us all.

I would like to see 'restricted view' parts of the shirt (such as under the armpits) offered at more realistic rate just like the seating at Roots Hall.

£100 does seem a bit steep at a time when austerity measures are affecting us all.

I would like to see 'restricted view' parts of the shirt (such as under the armpits) offered at more realistic rate just like the seating at Roots Hall.

You speak for the people my man

Interesting responses, almost exclusively negative and Ron bashing.

However, for years football itself has it's sums wrong and clubs have for too long been reliant on benefactors to survive. We don't have and never have had one of those.

So the money to run our club has to essentially come from the supporters pockets in one way or another.

I don't see how anyone can see this as another "money making scheme" on Rons part because it's clear that it's the club that benefits and not him. It is however another way to get money onto the club coffers which I personally don't see anything wrong with. I think the pricing is a bit wrong (I might have considered it if the £100 actually got you the shirt as well but it doesn't - just the right to be on it) but othewise it's not a bad idea. If nothing was done to commemorate the clubs tenure at Roots Hall there would be people who would moan that it should have been, wouldn't there?

And if, say, Ron HAD gone and this idea had been promoted by the new owners, would it have received the same vitriolic response or would it have been perceived as an innovative idea to actually give the supporters something for their money for a change rather than just ripping them off a la Ron Martin and what a fantastic way to remember the Hall?

The bigger picture is that as a club we need to survive and the club needs to generate it's own income. I think some need to remember that first and foremost - whoever is at the helm.

Oh dear oh dear.

The negativity on this site defies belief. Fair play to the doubters, there is still no sign of our new stadium and things have gone very quiet. Personally I think the silence is a very good thing and I believe that we are hearing nothing because they are getting very close to completing all aspects of the deal. I'm sure Ron has learned that there is no point in making date predictions for the new stadium in the current climate and he would need to be very stupid to think that anything other than bricks and mortar is going to convince us that we will have the fabled stadium. It could just be that the launch of this shirt is, to paraphrase the great Winston Churchill, beginning of the end for Roots Hall.

As for the idea itself I think it is brilliant initiative. I remember the Alves shirt and I think they got something like 17,000 fans got their name on the shirt. To celebrate the history of our stadium is an excellent idea and for the cynics on here of course they are going to use the iconic figures associated with Roots Hall. If they didn't mention Tilson, Barrett etc then someone would have said it was a slight on Tilly etc - damned if you do damned if you dont eh?

I don't think it will be a t-shirt! Nor do I think it will be our new playing kit as there would be an Insure and go logo there as well. My reckoning is that the Legacy Shirt will be a one off fans shirt that we can wear anytime and it would still be relevant and not out of date. I for one will be telling the family that I want my name on the shirt as a Christmas present. I would be very proud to have my name alongside all the other fans on a shirt that I could wear to support my team.

Oh dear oh dear.

The negativity on this site defies belief. Fair play to the doubters, there is still no sign of our new stadium and things have gone very quiet. Personally I think the silence is a very good thing and I believe that we are hearing nothing because they are getting very close to completing all aspects of the deal. I'm sure Ron has learned that there is no point in making date predictions for the new stadium in the current climate and he would need to be very stupid to think that anything other than bricks and mortar is going to convince us that we will have the fabled stadium. It could just be that the launch of this shirt is, to paraphrase the great Winston Churchill, beginning of the end for Roots Hall.

As for the idea itself I think it is brilliant initiative. I remember the Alves shirt and I think they got something like 17,000 fans got their name on the shirt. To celebrate the history of our stadium is an excellent idea and for the cynics on here of course they are going to use the iconic figures associated with Roots Hall. If they didn't mention Tilson, Barrett etc then someone would have said it was a slight on Tilly etc - damned if you do damned if you dont eh?

I don't think it will be a t-shirt! Nor do I think it will be our new playing kit as there would be an Insure and go logo there as well. My reckoning is that the Legacy Shirt will be a one off fans shirt that we can wear anytime and it would still be relevant and not out of date. I for one will be telling the family that I want my name on the shirt as a Christmas present. I would be very proud to have my name alongside all the other fans on a shirt that I could wear to support my team.

Sounds like Ron is up for one shirt.

I don't see how anyone can see this as another "money making scheme" on Rons part because it's clear that it's the club that benefits and not him. It is however another way to get money onto the club coffers which I personally don't see anything wrong with.

Call me stupid, but I don't possess the wherewithal to distinquish between the club coffers and those of Ron Martin and his myriad Group Companies. The way money passes between SUFC, Sainsburys, HMRC, Group Companies, etc leaves me quite confused.

Would've been great announced with news of construction starting, and I dare say a large number of supporters would be far more open to commemorating Roots Hall in this way if it were guaranteed...

£100 and they're not even showing us what it will look like?

Er...no, thanks.

It is a way of getting, well they want 1000 sigs in so 100k for 12 months for nothing....the fact you then have to go and buy the shirt on top of the original money is a joke. I think the fans have given enough these past few seasons and been treated like dirt along the way...I do not have a problem if people want to throw more money at RM and his companies, that of course is an individuals choice, but I would prefer to see something happening with the new ground first before any more of these money making schemes to rinse more money out of the fans appear, who IMO have been through enough these past few seasons.

It is a way of getting, well they want 1000 sigs in so 100k for 12 months for nothing....the fact you then have to go and buy the shirt on top of the original money is a joke. I think the fans have given enough these past few seasons and been treated like dirt along the way...I do not have a problem if people want to throw more money at RM and his companies, that of course is an individuals choice, but I would prefer to see something happening with the new ground first before any more of these money making schemes to rinse more money out of the fans appear, who IMO have been through enough these past few seasons.

This is a fair point and where the club have possibly got it wrong re the timing. If the construction work had started I think many people would be more willing to commemorate a stadium they knew we would be definitely leaving.

Oh dear oh dear.

If it's not a t-shirt or a match shirt, what sort of shirt is it?
It looks like a t-shirt or a match shirt in the very poor 'artists' impression http://www.legacyshirt.com/.

Back