• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

This is a fair point and where the club have possibly got it wrong re the timing. If the construction work had started I think many people would be more willing to commemorate a stadium they knew we would be definitely leaving.

Agreed and of course large parts of RH (turf/seats/the onion cooker etc would no doubt be offered to the fans and would be a good idea for those fans who want a long term memento of the ground......I would of thought the idea muted some time ago about having a brick at FF with your name on would generate much more interest if fans could see we have a future and things were actually moving forward...the timing of this is completely the wrong way around IMO.

The pay now, wait for a year, pay some more, is a mockery and quite frankly IMO an insult to the intelligence of most fans.

Was that not a shrimp on the shirt I know the boot featured on the programme but i believe the shrimp was used on the kit that resembled Chelseas of that era

Yep I think you are correct the 'UNITED' boot was just on the programme.

Looks like the first time we had a crest on a players shirt was the mid 1960's. There was a Shrimp on a shirt for 1 or 2 seasons in the early 70's, then a few versions of just the letters SUFC and then a new crest appeared on the shirts in 1980.

Don't see the point in going over is this a RM money making venture or is it an ill-timed announcement.

Personally, the old positive me would have thought this was a fairly good idea, in order to commemorate the history of the past 50+ years at Roots Hall. Although, I'd far rather put something in the region of £100 into a Supporters Wall at the new stadium by buying an engraved brick/tile etc. I'd have thought they would have got more "bang for their buck" by running this kind of scheme to raise finance.

Don't see the point in going over is this a RM money making venture or is it an ill-timed announcement.

Personally, the old positive me would have thought this was a fairly good idea, in order to commemorate the history of the past 50+ years at Roots Hall. Although, I'd far rather put something in the region of £100 into a Supporters Wall at the new stadium by buying an engraved brick/tile etc. I'd have thought they would have got more "bang for their buck" by running this kind of scheme to raise finance.

They'll do that as well I'm sure.

To be honest it's not a bad idea, but only as a cost covering excercise as a thankyou to the fans for their loyalty - but that wont happen.
Its yet another 'pip squeezing' scheme from a desperate man. The worthless 'share issue', having to renew your season ticket earlier and earlier, the 'cashless' card system in the West stand and probably more I cant think of off hand. Now trying to get 1000 mugs to cough up £100 each 'up front' and then expecting them to shell out another £50 or so a year later .........doh!
Too many 'schemes' and too late Mr Martin, no one will trust you with £100 of their hard-earned cash for a year, will they?

See, people moan about financial mismanagement and yet when the Club try to do things which will generate cash they criticise. If you don't want to pay the hundred quid then don't, but don't criticise the Club for trying to come up with ways of making a self-sufficient company out of a fundamentally flawed business model.

The simple fact is. Until a construction date is confirmed for FF and works have started, most will hang on to their hard earned.

I mean come on, who wants to part with at least £100 (+ cost of shirt that we have no idea of the real design) for a shirt celebrating our time at RH, when there is no guarantee yet, that we are even leaving RH!?...

Unless a construction start date is announced and movement is seen at FF, then I think most will give this one a swerve.

It is a shame, as it is a good idea and I think most would be happy to put more money into the club for a nice RH souvenir item. But only with guarantees now...

Last edited:
Absolutely and you cannot blame them for doing that. I certainly have better things to spend that sort of money on. But this is exactly the sort of scheme to raise cash that a lower-league Club should be doing and it's a bit rich for people to be spitting blood over it, especially if they've criticised the Club's financial position in the recent past.

it's a bit rich for people to be spitting blood over it, especially if they've criticised the Club's financial position in the recent past.

I'm more ****ed off with the fact that they're actually asking us to "celebrate" legends who the current management have publicly shat on from a great height and continue to do so in one case.

Absolutely and you cannot blame them for doing that. I certainly have better things to spend that sort of money on. But this is exactly the sort of scheme to raise cash that a lower-league Club should be doing and it's a bit rich for people to be spitting blood over it, especially if they've criticised the Club's financial position in the recent past.

agreed, the timing isn't great but I have no issue with schemes like this to generate cash that we desperately need.

I'm more ****ed off with the fact that they're actually asking us to "celebrate" legends who the current management have publicly shat on from a great height and continue to do so in one case.

Especially as Tilson was quoted in the Lincoln paper (Lincolnshire Gazette I think) on Saturday saying how eager he is to get back in the game but still has no clue as to what his current situation regarding severance from Southend is.

Would you rather they celebrate mediocrity? As poor as they have been treated, surely it's better that supporters are given the opportunity to acknowledge how much these legends have contributed to our club, rather than walking across eggshells because of what has happened?

If you can find nine other people with the same name as yourself it means you only have to chip in a tenner each which is a lot more reasonable.

Fair enough. No one is happy with what has happened with Tilly, and the fact that he said that he didn't feel comfortable to watch his prospective new side on Saturday because they were playing at Roots Hall was one of the sadest things I've heard in a long while. Hopefully that whole sorry situation gets resolved very quickly.

I changed my name by deed poll to Leo Gemelli and pick up monogrammed casual wear cheaply from charity shops.

I have changed my sons name to Lord Anthony and as a result he will never have to worry about losing another snorkel parka.

Why does everyone think this is Ron's idea/fault - wouldn't something like this be more down to the commercial team?

Would you rather they celebrate mediocrity? As poor as they have been treated, surely it's better that supporters are given the opportunity to acknowledge how much these legends have contributed to our club, rather than walking across eggshells because of what has happened?

It's more like having a funeral when the "deceased" is still on life support in the case of Tilly.

Why does everyone think this is Ron's idea/fault - wouldn't something like this be more down to the commercial team?

My guess is that Ron is well in to his sportswear.

It wouldn't surprise me if he still wore his Lake Placid 1980 tracksuit when he nips out to pick up an Indian takeaway or grab something from Wickes.

Last edited:
Back