• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Heres another conundrum, I think I read that Shrewsburys budget is the third lowest in the league . They have the second best defence only conceding 13 goals. Mind you they went the opposite to us and brought in 5 loanees, two of whom are doing exceptionally well. At the back Beckles is 26, Bolton aged 23 Niala 25 , and Riley 26. The average age of most teams in League one is 25.2 e.g. Charlton 25, Wigan 25, Blackburn 26 Scunthorpe 24, Oxford 27, our current average is 29.7

Interesting question Kaymac, I think I would still prefer their financial position over ours. I think they have also reduced their liabilities from, £13.3m in 2011 to £8.7m, whereas our liabilities are £18.2m. I suppose if they have paid undisclosed fees for 10 players in recent times and £500k for their Captain then a tranche has also presumably gone on signing their next batch to possibly sell on. Their assets also stood at £3.2m in 2014

I'm not very business minded but isn't there a large loan [something around £10m odd last I heard] taken out against Ron's other companies which would account for our net worth being so long and our liabilities being so high? Is that how it'd work?

Sheffield Utd (4th) V Bristol City (3rd)...could be a classic tonight.

If Sheffield Utd lose or draw, and Aston Villa & Derby County win by a reasonable margin, they will drop down to 6th place. If Ipswich win at Boro, it will make it even worse. (Just a point out of leaving the play-offs).

Maybe, those in charge up north, will increase their bid on Leonard beyond £800,00, and we can be quids in. And everyone's a winner.

As much as I would love to see Lenny stay, it is becoming a no brainer. We are at the very best an outsider for promotion, several of Brown's signings haven't worked. Kightly has been plagued with injuries throughout his career, not a great signing. Kiernan we have hardly seen. Provided the cash for Lenny is re-invested in the team, then the Club should let him go. Lenny isn't irreplacable but his departure would mean a complete rethink of the balance in midfield. A holding central midfield player and another more defensively minded player. If one is thinking ahead we may need to replace Wordsworth as well.

Precis of both clubs filed accounts (in 2016) below. Doesn't seem to suggest P'boro are flush with cash, so where did all this 'nett income' they made go ?

Southend:
Cash £137.8k
Nett Worth -£15.8m
Total current assets £1m
Total current liabilities £18.2m

P'boro:
Cash £13.9k
Nett Worth -£7.8m
Total current assets £646.9k
Total current liabilities £8.7m

I'm not very business minded but isn't there a large loan [something around £10m odd last I heard] taken out against Ron's other companies which would account for our net worth being so long and our liabilities being so high? Is that how it'd work?
Our liabilities are mainly "in house"
1M Trade Creditors
14.5M to group undertakings (ie other companies owned by Ron)
1.6 Accruals / deferred income
755k other creditors

So the bulk of our debt is not likely to have much impact on the day to day running , as we don't require any cash flow to service the debt, whereas if Peterborough's are Loans from financial institutions they may well be on repayment plans.

Interesting question Kaymac, I think I would still prefer their financial position over ours. I think they have also reduced their liabilities from, £13.3m in 2011 to £8.7m, whereas our liabilities are £18.2m. I suppose if they have paid undisclosed fees for 10 players in recent times and £500k for their Captain then a tranche has also presumably gone on signing their next batch to possibly sell on. Their assets also stood at £3.2m in 2014

So the amount they owe has gone down an average of £1m a year over the last 5 years plus they have signed players who can be sold in the future for more £££. They'll be debt free in 10 years if they keep this going.

For comparison what's happened to our debt over the last 5 years?

What's our expected debt in 10 years if we keep following this pattern?

Yeah ok, sell him now, there goes my idea of a strong December haha

Bye bye Ryan. Thank you for your excellent work and professionalism. I look forward to your rise to the top. One word of caution though, don't go to Sheffield united. You are better than that now and will be a lot better in the future.

In all honesty Lenny is our team. His defensive covering is immeasurable. His engine is superb. The rest of our midfield will be shown up without him. Looking over our shoulders without him. Looking up with him

I agree, such a shame we don't still have Atkinson, we will really lack an engine in our team if Lenny goes and is not replaced.

I'm told that Sheffield United have upped their bid today, but it's their final bid. They've told Southend that is it. Take it or leave it.

I don't think they're used to dealing with people like Ron Martin, who won't be swayed by that. In fact, we can all breathe a sigh of relief when the deadline comes and goes...until another club puts in an offer.

(If Ryan does leave, it won't be because they put a deadline on their offer...)

I agree, such a shame we don't still have Atkinson, we will really lack an engine in our team if Lenny goes and is not replaced.

Yep, both him and Thommo are looking like a bad piece of business last summer.

For us and them.

Back