• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

When we are starting the obvious I think playing with 10 men for most of the game is the biggest factor isnt it?!?

Funny how a defender completely lets us down and people still focus on strikers.

Thankyou! Saved me posting the same, we're a good side who have the quality and strength in depth to be at the business end again this season. If you want to blame anyone for yesterday's defeat then I'd say Bolger should take a fair proportion of the blame. Plymouth is a hard enough place to go with 11 men never mind 10. If we'd have beaten Wimbledon (as we should have) and picked up something yesterday with 11 men then things would all be rosy on here, instead we've had a defeat that shouldn't have been and a loss in which we were hamstrung by difficult circumstances.

If we need more firepower then Brown and the management will address it I'm sure, but come on guys we're 4 games in and we're miles better than our current league position. Have some faith! The tide will turn, big over-reaction after just 4 games.....

I apologise as I was one place out.
i actually agree with you that a good goal scorer would really help us , but the point I was trying to make was that despite Wimbledon having Tubbs , they are are on the same points as us after 5 games , so it doesn't necessarily follow thAt he will make a team successful.
im also concerned about our lack of goals but think 5 games is far too eRly to judge anything.

Oh im not getting carried away or being too judgemental. Yet. FWIW I think we could have a lot worse. The fact is though, a player of Tubbs calibre (a proven goalscorer at this level) could be the difference between getting 3 points or not. A player of his quality, mixed with the quality we already have, could have seen us top of the table atm. In theory anyway.

As I said after the Wimbledon game, I fully expect Wimbledon to be, at very least, knocking on the play-off door come May & I believe Tubbs, a talisman like player, and his calibre will carry them there. Even if they don't have an excellent starting XI, a goalscorer like that will normally always put you in the mix.

I think Brown has got two fairly major decisions wrong so far. Firstly I can't see what Barnard did last season to justify even a 1 year contract. He isn't the player he was and don't think he ever will be again. Secondly the signing of Bolger, initially I was excited but in the cold light of day he isn't any better than we had already. Really hope Thompson takes his chance he is a much better player.

Have a feeling that a player or two may come in tomorrow albeit on loan and one of them will be a striker. Craig Fagan I think is at Welling for time being but may have that wrong.

So for the last 2 years I have said we will not get out of this league with Corr up front, only now am I not being shot down by the blind disciples of Corr, he is not decent and will never get the 20 odd goals again, his role in the team is only to foul the opposition. We need a striker, Barney does not do half the work he did when he was with us before, almost as if he learnt to play Prem football without actually playing it. Weston quick or not, as proven against Wimbledon, does not have a strikers instinct so please give up on him being the goal scoring saviour but he will be a good winger.
Many will say every team is looking for a goal scorer, I am not looking for an Eastwood, I am looking for better than Corr and Barnard, is it too much to ask.
Again its been said,i said the same thing in my thread "position Vacant" and got shot down ,by Westie because i live in Aussie and dont get to see SUFC play anymore, wonder if Westie gonna shoot you down also JB.But what you say is correct and people need to wake up to the fact
:smile:

I hope in the JPT Layne or the young lad williams or both given a run as a striker lets see if they are good enough,and i mean as a striker not a winger,plying people out of position is not always the best idea, some can adapt but others are what they are and should be played that way.Layne has played against men last season and scored 16 goals , okay so it was in a lower league, but we signed him on that form so lets give him a chance to show what he can do, people here been for a time saying give Williams a run so PB give him a run play a 4-4-2 formation and give both a go.

Wasn't it at the end of August that Gillingham stopped paying Craig Fagans wages. Wouldn't be at all surprised if we signed him this week. looked good in pre season and could well help with the goal count.

No I think that theory was blown out of the water by Brown.

If we were trying to save a few quid we would still have signed him for the start of the season, we paid 25k for Bolger after all so we arent that skint.

Yes. Surely everyone on here should be happy now. We can't score goals but we play some belting triangles.

Every bit the "careful what you wish for" moment. Very, very rarely do clubs get out of this league playing brilliant football simply because it's extremely difficult to achieve and maintain with the budgets on offer. We came close under Sturrock, but pressure on him to play more aesthetically pleasing football derailed the successive bid and now Brown has struggled to make it click too.

Brown's now in his second full season with us, so let's see how patient the fans are knocking the ball around nicely if we're languishing outside the play-offs in April.

Remember Morecambe last season at the Hall who were leading 2 1 then had a man sent off then increased their lead and won 3 1!

We had the extra man for ages and still not score.

We were one down at Portsmouth last season, had a player sent off and scored 2. It can happen, and has happened to us. That doesn't make it the norm though.

Confidence. Thats all we are missing. When Corr, Shaqa & Barny notch we will be flying & that will come sooner rather than later , mark my words. If anything we are playing a little too attacking , what i mean is we have 3 or 4 forwards up there already , rather than just 1 or 2 with attacking midfielders ( Lenny,Atkinson,Clifford,Worrell) steaming up in support of them , which would work better. Then we would totally boss the game & create many more chances for the strikers to do their business.

Again its been said,i said the same thing in my thread "position Vacant" and got shot down ,by Westie because i live in Aussie and dont get to see SUFC play anymore, wonder if Westie gonna shoot you down also JB.But what you say is correct and people need to wake up to the fact
:smile:

Why do 'people need to wake up to the fact'? What are you hoping to achieve?

I'd be interested in one of those pitch maps showing where on the pitch all the chances we've missed are and where we've had our possession.

I suspect that both may be quite far back.

Also, any news on when Timlin is due back?

He remains a key player for us with his vision and his willingness to try things.

I'd be interested in one of those pitch maps showing where on the pitch all the chances we've missed are and where we've had our possession.

I suspect that both may be quite far back.

Also, any news on when Timlin is due back?

He remains a key player for us with his vision and his willingness to try things

Agree with this. Timlin coming back cannot happen soon enough. People will happily get on his back for the wayward passes etc, but he literally drives the team, and they way he moves the team around, and bosses our midfield cannot be undervalued.

How would you line up your midfield though?

Agree with this. Timlin coming back cannot happen soon enough. People will happily get on his back for the wayward passes etc, but he literally drives the team, and they way he moves the team around, and bosses our midfield cannot be undervalued.

How would you line up your midfield though?

Good question. I'd probably line-up in a hybrid 4-5-1/4-3-3 and 4-4-2.

................Bentley
White.... Bolger.. Prosser....Coker
.... Leonard Atkinson Timlin
Worrall
...............................Weston
..................Corr

Hurst would be an option instead of Worrall or even Atkinson in the middle if it's a team who is coming to Roots Hall for a point.
We don't really have anyone in the class of Kane Ferdinand for drifting late into good attacking positions.

Yes. Surely everyone on here should be happy now. We can't score goals but we play some belting triangles.

I am, well happier. I would 100% rather watch this team than a Sturrock team, we are doing no worse than we did under Sturrock and we are trying to play the right way. I'm still confident we'll be competing to go up at the end of the season but if we were to fail I'd still look back on Browns 2 seasons with fonder memories than Sturrocks.

Good question. I'd probably line-up in a hybrid 4-5-1/4-3-3 and 4-4-2.

................Bentley
White.... Bolger.. Prosser....Coker
.... Leonard Atkinson Timlin
Worrall
...............................Weston
..................Corr

Hurst would be an option instead of Worrall or even Atkinson in the middle if it's a team who is coming to Roots Hall for a point.
We don't really have anyone in the class of Kane Ferdinand for drifting late into good attacking positions.

I'd probably go with the same, depending on Clifford's form between now and then. Leonard has struggled a bit in the games I've seen so far.

You'd hope with the three in the middle albeit, Atko/Clifford/Tims/Lenny that Weston and Worrall would get the width to put meaningful balls into Corr, and that one of the three can arrive to support him.

I think with Leonard you have to be careful not to confuse being not as good as last season with being poor.

He hasnt been up to last year, he has admitted that, but I would't drop him. He hasn't played badly, just not as good as he can. Id rather he played his way back into form.

Back