• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Lost pubs in the Southend area

Remember a few of these well. I started my drinking life in the Tavern in the Town, our bike club met at The Esplanade for a couple of years and we used to meet at the Fairway on a Sunday evening for a couple of beers and pool. Halcyon days indeed.

The Woodmans Arms in Thundersley closed late last year. The brewery are still deciding what to do with it. They said they may open it back up as a gastro pub, despite local rumours that it will become a Tesco Express.
I thought the brewery were committed to re-opening it as a pub, pretty sure that's what has been reported on local community pages.

My first underage drink was also in the back bar,Goldern Lion..Some of the crowd i hung around with also went in there.
This night i had a row with my then girlfriend L.P. so went in there.Saw my good mate Stevie.B with his "bird",later wife..and asked Steve "whats the quickest way to get drunk"
He replied..SOUTHERN COMFORT..
So i went up to the barman and asked for a pint of Southern Comfort!!!! Got a strange look.
What about the pub opposite Southend Central...it was then (75-77 ?) called the "BUCC ?" cannot spell it.Bloody big pub with a stage,iirc.Had many a good night with Joe,Jim,Biber in there
I use to bunk from school when I was 15 and drink in there, stick my Greensward blazer into my back pack and take my tie off and go golden lion during the day.

Use to drink Green King IPA it was £1.20 a pint back then

I remember the land ladies name was Gwen I think

Last edited:
I thought the brewery were committed to re-opening it as a pub, pretty sure that's what has been reported on local community pages.
Yes, but that was months ago. So the Tesco rumours started. Also, no refurb work has started, which is another negative. It seems it could go either way at the moment.

Last edited:
Anyone know how the reopening of the Cricketers went Thursday night .
From the Southend echo.

More than 100 punters piled into the Cricketers in London Road, to enjoy a night of music and drinks. They are confident it will return to its former glory.

Punters Rhona Lusty and Tracey Mingail have been regular visitors for years and were devastated when the pub closed last June.

Rhona, 44, said: “To survive, it needs to offer something special like live music. I hope it becomes what it was, as the closure left a big hole.
Pal Tracey, 43, added: “We’ve had so many good nights here. It was like our second home, we made lots of friends here.

“I hope Annie brings that back. We absolutely can’t let it fail.

A good time was had by all.

“We want to see all sorts of live music because that’s what works here. Before, every genre was catered for, including punk, rock, jazz, soul, 80s pop and emo. Live bands will bring in regulars and music lovers alike.

As part of the refurbishment, the whole bar and restaurant have been painted in a light shade of green, adding to the “warm and friendly” theme. New manager Annie Bush says she is keen to make the pub feel like “a home from home”.

She also sent the pub’s booths to be reupholstered in a glossy blue fabric.

Cliff Evans, 62, known professionally as “DJ Fatboy” used to help run the night club adjoining the Cricketers and is keen to help it get up and running again.

Russell Sheerman supported pal Annie on the opening night of her new pub. (Image: Ben Shahrabi)

He said: “The trouble is, the pub was left empty for months after the Corallinis left. Therefore, Annie has got to start from scratch, which is a challenge.

“The Corallinis were the best landlords I’ve seen here by miles. The closure wasn’t their fault, I imagine they were in the same boat we’re all in with the energy and cost of living crisis.

Westcliff musician and local radio presenter Frankie Peroni added: “I’ve always loved the Cricketers. It’s all about the people, the atmosphere and the music.

“It’s one of the greatest pubs in south Essex for me.

“I’m hoping they’ll bring back the live music. I know that will make it a success.”

Russell Sheerman, business development manager at Carlsberg Marston’s Brewing Company, came along to the Cricketers to support his friend Annie Bush, the new manager.

He said: “I live in Southend, so I think it’s great to see this iconic pub back.”

From the Southend echo.

More than 100 punters piled into the Cricketers in London Road, to enjoy a night of music and drinks. They are confident it will return to its former glory.

Punters Rhona Lusty and Tracey Mingail have been regular visitors for years and were devastated when the pub closed last June.

Rhona, 44, said: “To survive, it needs to offer something special like live music. I hope it becomes what it was, as the closure left a big hole.
Pal Tracey, 43, added: “We’ve had so many good nights here. It was like our second home, we made lots of friends here.

“I hope Annie brings that back. We absolutely can’t let it fail.

A good time was had by all.

“We want to see all sorts of live music because that’s what works here. Before, every genre was catered for, including punk, rock, jazz, soul, 80s pop and emo. Live bands will bring in regulars and music lovers alike.

As part of the refurbishment, the whole bar and restaurant have been painted in a light shade of green, adding to the “warm and friendly” theme. New manager Annie Bush says she is keen to make the pub feel like “a home from home”.

She also sent the pub’s booths to be reupholstered in a glossy blue fabric.

Cliff Evans, 62, known professionally as “DJ Fatboy” used to help run the night club adjoining the Cricketers and is keen to help it get up and running again.

Russell Sheerman supported pal Annie on the opening night of her new pub. (Image: Ben Shahrabi)

He said: “The trouble is, the pub was left empty for months after the Corallinis left. Therefore, Annie has got to start from scratch, which is a challenge.

“The Corallinis were the best landlords I’ve seen here by miles. The closure wasn’t their fault, I imagine they were in the same boat we’re all in with the energy and cost of living crisis.

Westcliff musician and local radio presenter Frankie Peroni added: “I’ve always loved the Cricketers. It’s all about the people, the atmosphere and the music.

“It’s one of the greatest pubs in south Essex for me.

“I’m hoping they’ll bring back the live music. I know that will make it a success.”

Russell Sheerman, business development manager at Carlsberg Marston’s Brewing Company, came along to the Cricketers to support his friend Annie Bush, the new manager.

He said: “I live in Southend, so I think it’s great to see this iconic pub back.”
Wish them well .

The Woodmans Arms in Thundersley closed late last year. The brewery are still deciding what to do with it. They said they may open it back up as a gastro pub, despite local rumours that it will become a Tesco Express.
Reopened on Good Friday.

there was a point in the early to late 90s if you couldn’t find me at home or work then I’d be found in either:
the original Shore House (when it was still darts, pool, fruities etc before it went all foodie) or
The Captain Mannerings (before it changed to as above and renamed as the Garrison Arms)

then late nights at the Cambridge for Ronni Smiffs disco and usually a Western style bar brawl with tables & chairs breaking everywhere 🤠

Was even better when it was 'The Joint & Jar' around mid 70's.

In the early 80's when bars stared to label themselves as 'Cocktail" They had white piano and you could order a pint......Of Milk.

Which in most sea front pubs back then would be the equivalent of defacing the Koran in Finsbury Parks Mosque

Last edited:
Back