• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Lost pubs in the Southend area

there was a point in the early to late 90s if you couldn’t find me at home or work then I’d be found in either:
the original Shore House (when it was still darts, pool, fruities etc before it went all foodie) or
The Captain Mannerings (before it changed to as above and renamed as the Garrison Arms)

then late nights at the Cambridge for Ronni Smiffs disco and usually a Western style bar brawl with tables & chairs breaking everywhere 🤠
A lot of that trouble was between locals and the squaddies based at Shoebury Barracks. I know because my cousin was involved and used to tell me about it. It was a really tough pub as it was, and then the squaddies used to turn up and get very drunk and abusive to customers and staff. There was a lot of fights in there anyway, But when the squaddies started going, things escalated. The two groups didn't get on at all, and many nights it would erupt near closing time. Squaddies were barred from The Cambridge in the end, and started going into Southend. They turned up at The Sutton Arms, and all hell broke loose. That was when the battles between them and locals in Southchurch Road and the High Street made the Evening Echo.

Last edited:
A lot of that trouble was between locals and the squaddies based at Shoebury Barracks. I know because my cousin was involved and used to tell me about it. It was a really tough pub as it was, and then the squaddies used to turn up and get very drunk and abusive to customers and staff. There was a lot of fights in there anyway, But when the squaddies started going, things escalated. The two groups didn't get on at all, and many nights it would erupt near closing time. Squaddies were barred from The Cambridge in the end, and started going into Southend. They turned up at The Sutton Arms, and all hell broke loose. That was when the battles between them and locals in Southchurch Road and the High Street made the Evening Echo.
that was a little before my time - probably closer to my older brothers time of going there.

My time was just stupid pi$$ed up regulars chatting up the wrong boyfriend / girlfriend or spilling someone's pint.

I remember being in there one Friday night / Saturday morning until closing which resulted in me oversleeping and missing the supporters coach to the Birmingham match the next day........must have been around 1990 / 1991 / 1992

that was a little before my time - probably closer to my older brothers time of going there.

My time was just stupid pi$$ed up regulars chatting up the wrong boyfriend / girlfriend or spilling someone's pint.

I remember being in there one Friday night / Saturday morning until closing which resulted in me oversleeping and missing the supporters coach to the Birmingham match the next day........must have been around 1990 / 1991 / 1992
Yes, this was in the late 70s. The fighting never stopped throughout that pubs history.

Back