• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Maidenhead United 1-2 Southend United

Again, I think you're being harsh on last night's commentators - and the 15 year old. If I recall, there was praise for the lad last time.

What else do you expect at this level for £9.50 - John Motson? And, as I've said before, it could be worse on Essex radio; we could have Neil Kelly commenting on the Blues!
The thought of Neil Kelly commentating on the mighty blues NO Thanks!

Wes was awful last night. Nothing came off for him, but he did at least keep trying.

The first goal last night came from Wes finding space and picking out Bridge. Crowther scored from the subsequent corner.

That Waldron chance he skied first half came from Fonguck driving infield, taking a couple of defenders out of the game and picking out Waldron edge of the area.

When Bridge fired one across goal (should have cut back to Waldron) that came from a one-two with Fonguck when Wes nicely delayed the pass.

When Bridge hit the crossbar, wasn’t that Wes feeding him again.

Etc etc

Other than the second goal (what was their defender doing?) pretty much all our good moments went through Wes. This is usually the case. Usually Bridge gets the assist and usually it’s Fonguck feeding Bridge. Sometime the passes don’t look much but somehow when Wes isn’t in the team those passes don’t seem to happen and Bridge doesn’t have the same influence 🤔

Sure, some things didn’t work but I can’t imagine anyway who is going to criticise him for trying stuff rather than playing safe when we hadn’t scored in our last 4 matches. That’s what we’ve all been crying out for. Thank god he’s back in the side.

Yes, had the same, no cones, so stayed on the M25.
If I remember this happened last year at maidenhead away bloody m25 and cones.

Yes but the footy tonight seemed different, seemed better, slightly more direct at goal as opposed to wing crabing.
Waldens goal was good, steaming into their area, straight at goal.
That is what we need more of.
A little bit more freedom to let loose.
Wing Crabing 😆

That was much more like it, and much closer to how we were playing before Christmas. I don't know how much more obvious it needs to be that this is much closer how Maher wants us playing, but I highly doubt that we'll see the end of the misinformed "Maher is negative and only likes sideways and backwards" garbage.

Still plenty of room for improvement but I thought we played with a higher tempo and more intensity, and moved the ball forward through the lines with more purpose.

Bridge had a lot more joy down the left - a pivotal part in which was played by Fonguck, for those of you who weren't watching properly! Maidenhead didn't seem to have as much success doubling up on him as other teams have in the last few weeks, but I think part of that was down to us switching play a lot more. We played a lot more diagonal balls than we have been playing recently, which seemed to widen the pitch and drag Maidenhead from side-to-side a bit more. I think this probably made it more difficult for them to get two men on Bridge when the ball came back to him. One to keep trying, I think.

Crowther continues to look excellent and has a bit of Kensdale about him when he carries the ball out of defence. A couple of misplaced passes, one of which almost cost us, but that will improve as he continues to settle into our way of playing. Excellent goal, too. We knew he'd be a threat from set pieces, but my word - he rose like a salmon on ketamine to get his bonce on the end of that corner!

Excellent finish from Waldron too, which shows just what he has in his locker and why the coaching staff are so excited by what he'd been showing in training. He should bag plenty more as he continues to adjust to full-time football and his teammates continue to figure out how to play to his obvious strengths.

Nice of Smashey and Nicey to do the Maidenhead commentary, too. They didn't do my swede in at all.

smashie-and-nicey-3cfe952b-60bd-4dba-87aa-a06dfd6d2f3-resize-750.jpeg

Onto the next!

That was much more like it, and much closer to how we were playing before Christmas. I don't know how much more obvious it needs to be that this is much closer how Maher wants us playing, but I highly doubt that we'll see the end of the misinformed "Maher is negative and only likes sideways and backwards" garbage.

Still plenty of room for improvement but I thought we played with a higher tempo and more intensity, and moved the ball forward through the lines with more purpose.

Bridge had a lot more joy down the left - a pivotal part in which was played by Fonguck, for those of you who weren't watching properly! Maidenhead didn't seem to have as much success doubling up on him as other teams have in the last few weeks, but I think part of that was down to us switching play a lot more. We played a lot more diagonal balls than we have been playing recently, which seemed to widen the pitch and drag Maidenhead from side-to-side a bit more. I think this probably made it more difficult for them to get two men on Bridge when the ball came back to him. One to keep trying, I think.

Crowther continues to look excellent and has a bit of Kensdale about him when he carries the ball out of defence. A couple of misplaced passes, one of which almost cost us, but that will improve as he continues to settle into our way of playing. Excellent goal, too. We knew he'd be a threat from set pieces, but my word - he rose like a salmon on ketamine to get his bonce on the end of that corner!

Excellent finish from Waldron too, which shows just what he has in his locker and why the coaching staff are so excited by what he'd been showing in training. He should bag plenty more as he continues to adjust to full-time football and his teammates continue to figure out how to play to his obvious strengths.

Nice of Smashey and Nicey to do the Maidenhead commentary, too. They didn't do my swede in at all.

View attachment 31188

Onto the next!
Good post, I like the way we play. Rest assured if we were playing long balls over the top that would attract just as many moans and groans. Most of the time we have it right, just the tempo has been lacking for the last couple of games. Too many expect instant results, we have just started our journey back to the EFL. It will take two very good teams to stop us next season.

Didn't notice any of this on the stream, nor any comments on the match threadScreenshot_20240221_172930.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't notice any of this on the stream, nor any comments on the match threadView attachment 31190
Storm in a tea cup - bit of banter when they changed ends (came up our end) at half time. Then our lot managed to open a big gate into the no man’s land pen between us and rushed them and most of them ran away!

Police and stewards had it all under control very quickly.

Thats a nice pic and the mention of us.

May be an image of 1 person, playing football, playing American football and text that says Û A solopress GOAL! 5. ADAM CROWTHER S SPONSORED BY: SHRIMPERZONE

There has been little mention of the ref last night who i thought was excellent, which makes a change. Well done young lady.
I would venture that the Maidenhead fans feel differently - that's football. I thought she was decent but I did think their penalty shout was a good one.

Back