• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I just don't get it.

It is clearly obvious that he has zero part to play at this club. He will be lucky to even get a ressie game by the looks of it. Unless a scout is down to watch him.

Is he just happy to sit in the stands and pick up his rather large pay cheque for the next 12 months?

Or

Do you think he does actually want to move on as soon as possible?

If I was him, I would want to be playing. Even if it meant earning a lot less and perhaps dropping a level, to re-build my career.

To be fair, I think he is better than Sturrock and Crawford but its all about opinions and PS obviously don't like him for some reason - he isn't a bad influence or anything like that.

With regards to him dropping his wages by "a lot less" - in reality, why should he. He is only young and doesn't earn life changing money so in reality, I think he is right to see out his contract even if it don't help our club. If the club offered to buy out his contract, I am sure he would take that and pick up another wage elsewehere so that's obviously a load of tosh.

I think he gets a bit of stick on here when in reality, there has been a lot worse at the club. I think he is half decent and if he don't find another club, I think Sturrock needs to use him instead of letting him rot in the ressies. When you consider than Blair gets games ahead of him, its a joke

With regards to him dropping his wages by "a lot less" - in reality, why should he. He is only young and doesn't earn life changing money so in reality, I think he is right to see out his contract even if it don't help our club. If the club offered to buy out his contract, I am sure he would take that and pick up another wage elsewehere so that's obviously a load of tosh.

That would be a very short term view for him to take to his career. Taking the higher wage now may benefit him now, but in a year's time who is going to want a player who hasn't played? Better for his career to take the wage cut, drop a division, score some goals & get some confidence then progress higher up the ladder. It's worked for plenty of pro's in the past, Eastwood & Kightly being two examples we know all about.

Oxford are a midtable lg2 side (as are we at present) and they're not interested, surely he has to realise now that he has to take drastic measures to resusitate his career.

I see where Silencer is coming from. Say he's on £80k a year with us, the option of reducing that in half probably isn't that appealing, especially if he can sit tight here, get that cash and put himself in the shop window with a couple of loan spells for a move next Summer.

The question now will be whether the Club chooses to force his hand the way that they forced the hands of many of the class of 09/10.

I also think Sturrock will pick Paterson on merit, and I think he was doing that last season. Paterson just isn't a Sturrock centre-forward though. he's neither strong enough to hold the ball up or quick enough to get in behind.

I see where Silencer is coming from. Say he's on £80k a year with us, the option of reducing that in half probably isn't that appealing, especially if he can sit tight here, get that cash and put himself in the shop window with a couple of loan spells for a move next Summer.

The question now will be whether the Club chooses to force his hand the way that they forced the hands of many of the class of 09/10.

And bring an embargo upon ourselves?

Would it harm us if all our business is done and we have a big enough squad, that is the question...

I would hope that our club would act a little more professionally than that. But, needs must.

Last edited:
If Oxford don't want him, its mean Pato is acting like a layabout guy who on incapacity benefit and don't want to work at all!

And bring an embargo upon ourselves?

Would it harm us if all our business is done and we have a big enough squad, that is the question...

I would hope that our club would act a little more professionally than that. But, needs must.

As a matter of interest does anyone know when his contract actually expires? IIRC he signed for us in January 2010, therefore if he's on a 2 year deal it will expire at the end of Jan 2012, I'm assuming that it's a 3 year deal so he's still got 18 months to go. If it were 6 months I'd say the club should bite the bullet, pay him off and release him. That won't happen with 18 months left.

As a matter of interest does anyone know when his contract actually expires? IIRC he signed for us in January 2010, therefore if he's on a 2 year deal it will expire at the end of Jan 2012, I'm assuming that it's a 3 year deal so he's still got 18 months to go. If it were 6 months I'd say the club should bite the bullet, pay him off and release him. That won't happen with 18 months left.

He signed a 2.5 year deal on 22nd Jan 2010. http://www.southendunited.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10444~1940594,00.html

By my calculations that means it is up 22nd July 2012.

Either way he is contracted for the entirety of this season. But we wont see him again afterwards.

He signed a 2.5 year deal on 22nd Jan 2010. http://www.southendunited.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10444~1940594,00.html

By my calculations that means it is up 22nd July 2012.

Either way he is contracted for the entirety of this season. But we wont see him again afterwards.

Thanks Smiffy, 6 months shorter than I thought, but I'd say too much for the club to pay him off and get him out. It would seem the only option will be to get him out on loan, and even then we'll end up paying a percentage of his salary.

Thanks Smiffy, 6 months shorter than I thought, but I'd say too much for the club to pay him off and get him out. It would seem the only option will be to get him out on loan, and even then we'll end up paying a percentage of his salary.

Yep. At a guess we are probably looking at around £80,000 to get rid of him. :stunned:

This thread is why I no longer commit to this messageboard.

The defamation of a young player who came to us unwillingly and then stayed with us through a horrendous period of the clubs history and still pledged himself loyally to stay and fight for his position is nothing short of disgusting.

The club could end Pato's Southend nightmare by simply paying off the contract that they are legally bound to pay. But they won't because they haven't got a pot to **** in.

How many of you out there in cloud cuckoo land would give up their job and wages for a year? None of you, so why should Pato? The lad I believe is desperate to get away because he just wants to play football, but because he is contracted to the club THE CLUB want money for him, or at least the majority of his wages paid up if it's a loan - so it's not down to Pato not wanting away, because believe me he does, it's down to the club WANTING money - no other reason.

His treatment imho has been disgraceful and all the posters on here who continually spout utter ***** about the kid need to hang their heads in shame imho you're a disgrace.

The defamation of a young player who came to us unwillingly and then stayed with us through a horrendous period of the clubs history and still pledged himself loyally to stay and fight for his position is nothing short of disgusting.

The club could end Pato's Southend nightmare by simply paying off the contract that they are legally bound to pay. But they won't because they haven't got a pot to **** in.

How many of you out there in cloud cuckoo land would give up their job and wages for a year? None of you, so why should Pato? The lad I believe is desperate to get away because he just wants to play football, but because he is contracted to the club THE CLUB want money for him, or at least the majority of his wages paid up if it's a loan - so it's not down to Pato not wanting away, because believe me he does, it's down to the club WANTING money - no other reason.

His treatment imho has been disgraceful and all the posters on here who continually spout utter ***** about the kid need to hang their heads in shame imho you're a disgrace.

Whether you "commit" to this messageboard is entirely up to you. But you can't stop people airing their views on what strangely is a messageboard, if everyone held the same view it would be pretty sterile. So as long as people air their views within the rules of the site then I don't see a problem. You've expressed your view on Paterson, others have expressed theirs, and life goes on.

It's certainly not patersons fault he is here.

If I were him I wouldn't tear contract up either and would wait till I got offered a deal somewhere else.

99% are not actually slagging him off though.

Most recognise it is not his fault he is in this position. But feel it would be better for him and the club if he moved on.

A view which I think the majority would agree with?..

Last edited:
Whether you "commit" to this messageboard is entirely up to you. But you can't stop people airing their views on what strangely is a messageboard, if everyone held the same view it would be pretty sterile. So as long as people air their views within the rules of the site then I don't see a problem. You've expressed your view on Paterson, others have expressed theirs, and life goes on.

Canvey I couldn't agree more. But let there be something factual in the responses. Simply crucifying the lad because he's on a 'good contract' is pathetic.

Ripping the **** out of a player because of a poor game is one thing - simply destroying the lad because he's on a decent contract is out of order. Ron Martin signed up to it - Tara Brady alledgedly refuses to honour it. That's not Pato's fault.

I am so happy that I do not hold the same views as the majority of the posters on here :winking:

I don't think Pato is being "slagged off", but he is the highest wage earner here, and we have to use the money more resourcefully. If you had the choice between Pato and Ricketts, who would you pick?

It seems that Sturrock doesn't see him fitting into his system, and he needs to accept this. If what is said on this thread is true, then Pato has rejected a pay off and is not interested in dropping a division and/or wages in order to get first team football.

For Paterson's sake and the club's sake, he should leave and look at getting first team football.

Canvey I couldn't agree more. But let there be something factual in the responses. Simply crucifying the lad because he's on a 'good contract' is pathetic.

Ripping the **** out of a player because of a poor game is one thing - simply destroying the lad because he's on a decent contract is out of order. Ron Martin signed up to it - Tara Brady alledgedly refuses to honour it. That's not Pato's fault.

I am so happy that I do not hold the same views as the majority of the posters on here :winking:

Agreed. Pato is now paying the price for **** poor financial management.

If Oxford don't want him, its mean Pato is acting like a layabout guy who on incapacity benefit and don't want to work at all!

Not quite...that is a ridiculous comment.

He turns up for work everyday, trains and wants to play football. Why should he be penalised for not being selected.

Do't get me wrong, I would love him to leave for pastures new and free up the funds, but can you really blame him. Be realistic guys

Back