• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Funny how every body just assumes Chris Powell would be interested in Southend job and all the Pressure that goes with the job. He may well be enjoying his new job of scouting for Spurs and doing T.V. work for sky no pressure in either of them jobs like he would get here and a lot more job security..

I don’t think it’s that. These things take time - contracts need to be drawn up, CP will need to approach whoever he wants in his back room team and then Ron will need to negotiate their contracts, have lawyers draw them up etc. These things all tend to happen in parallel and new managers tend not to sign on the dotted line until everything is in place. Completely sensible, completely normal and there’s no big rush - we know CP won’t be in charge on Saturday. I’ve no doubt he (if indeed he is the choice for manager) will have already had a discussion with Ron about possible player targets to bring in during this window. I’d say the action will be taking place next week, not this week.

I do wonder how long Ron has been talking to his "principle target" (i'm sure we will never find out)? I presume its been on going for a week or so before Brownie got the bullet - probably why we haven't signed anyone.

If its CP, then i wonder if we can grab a few Spurs kids or pick some up from his own scouting work.

Interesting how last time we had the new manager already signed-up. Maybe the difference this time is that the frontrunner is an honourable man.

It's perfectly normal to get ready to go with a replacement- the fact we aren't quite tells us that Ron himself only made the decision this week (a change of plan for whatever reason).

Timing then far from perfect as CP targets likely to be different and btw what is CP's preferred formation? Anyone know? This in itself wil impact who the targets would be?

Absolutely despise Lincoln. Mugging them in the playoff final was golden.

Totally agree with this. Always taken a dislike to Lincoln and their fans... glancing at their forum shows that they haven’t changed. You’d think they have the backing of Man City with Pep in charge the way they are going.
Can’t wait til The Cowley’s move on to bigger and better things, even if not to us!

With us abbreviating Chris Powell to CP on here, am I the only one who reads this and automatically thinks "Chris Phillips"?

Perhaps we should use "SCP" for Mr Powell...

I like the idea Chris Powell Legend , what I don't like is Chris Powell failed manager .

Having viewed the duo's first interview for the match ahead on i-follow, I don't know how well or successful their first-team managerial experience will be but sadly I have to say I don't consider very highly, their chances of following Phil into a career in the media. :smile: Who on earth sanctioned the idea of holding the interview in what sounded like the training ground canteen, God only knows! (the opening part was inaudible) Tilson wasn't a wonder in interviews..........though he worked his socks off to make a success of it. These were hardly the dynamic duo...........perhaps it would have been better to have interviewed one or the other, rather than both at the same time. Yet, if they managed to turn things around on the pitch, who cares how they interview! :smile:

Funny how every body just assumes Chris Powell would be interested in Southend job and all the Pressure that goes with the job. He may well be enjoying his new job of scouting for Spurs and doing T.V. work for sky no pressure in either of them jobs like he would get here and a lot more job security..
I’d heard that Orient approached him,before settling for Edinburgh.

Sturrock was also lined-up in advance lest you forget.

...and Sturrock was lined up full of promise from our chairman even though the previous manager or squad wasn't treated honourably. (not that i hold that against Sturrock).

It's perfectly normal to get ready to go with a replacement- the fact we aren't quite tells us that Ron himself only made the decision this week (a change of plan for whatever reason).

Timing then far from perfect as CP targets likely to be different and btw what is CP's preferred formation? Anyone know? This in itself wil impact who the targets would be?

cP was very keen for England to play 3 at the back in a recent interview saying if it was good enough for the top teams in the Premier League why wouldn't it be the way to go for everyone else. I think that could work for us actually based on many players we have here already (when fit!) with the addition of a holding midfielder (or two) in a 3-4-1-2.

cP was very keen for England to play 3 at the back in a recent interview saying if it was good enough for the top teams in the Premier League why wouldn't it be the way to go for everyone else. I think that could work for us actually based on many players we have here already (when fit!) with the addition of a holding midfielder (or two) in a 3-4-1-2.

Sounds like a p***ed Gloria Estefan.

Having viewed the duo's first interview for the match ahead on i-follow, I don't know how well or successful their first-team managerial experience will be but sadly I have to say I don't consider very highly, their chances of following Phil into a career in the media. :smile: Who on earth sanctioned the idea of holding the interview in what sounded like the training ground canteen, God only knows! (the opening part was inaudible) Tilson wasn't a wonder in interviews..........though he worked his socks off to make a success of it. These were hardly the dynamic duo...........perhaps it would have been better to have interviewed one or the other, rather than both at the same time. Yet, if they managed to turn things around on the pitch, who cares how they interview! :smile:

There's always a lot of background noise in those canteen interviews.

Thought Ricky Duncan did well,though he's vastly more experienced and older than Kev,who sounded more than a bit tongue tied.

Think they both know they won't be in the job very long.

With us abbreviating Chris Powell to CP on here, am I the only one who reads this and automatically thinks "Chris Phillips"?

FWIW, Im hoping CP will spot CP in the stands at the SS on Saturday as we need in him ASAP, or I will start to think RM is talking BS about CP joining SUFC.

I don’t think it’s that. These things take time - contracts need to be drawn up, CP will need to approach whoever he wants in his back room team and then Ron will need to negotiate their contracts, have lawyers draw them up etc. These things all tend to happen in parallel and new managers tend not to sign on the dotted line until everything is in place. Completely sensible, completely normal and there’s no big rush - we know CP won’t be in charge on Saturday. I’ve no doubt he (if indeed he is the choice for manager) will have already had a discussion with Ron about possible player targets to bring in during this window. I’d say the action will be taking place next week, not this week.

^
Yep, absolutely this.

Chris Powell is the man, but, the sticking point is Chris' right hand man Alex Dyer, who he works with 95% of the time, is currently asst man at Kilmarnock with Steve Clarke, so Blues are trying to get him out of there first so he can join up with Powell at Blues, that's whats taking the time in getting this done......

Its a lot of work to do such rebuilds isn't it John. Every time I browse other teams fans forums I'm grateful to come back to our excellent site and for the considerable efforts of the current site management keeping it in great nick :thumbsup:

Huge Steve as you know. I Like to think it's the members who make the Zone successful though and the untold guys that put in their own works to make this happen, not only in threads all over the board. The Mods are fantastic making sure all runs as smooth as possible but then we have the others.

Mick who does the ref post every week does outstanding work. Paul and co at TravelZone, who have worked with us for years to take fans to away matches. DODTS who runs the Predication league and puts hours in each week on here for the members to have fun. The Trust do their thing for all fans.. the list goes on and on.

We are ALL The Zone.

It is the efforts of all that make this site work so well.

Sorry a bit of topic guys but I needed to reply.

Back