• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

1994-95. We are heading for relegation under Peter Taylor having just gone through a winless eleven game run. He is replaced by Steve Thompson which immediately sparks a turn in fortune and we finish 13th after winning 8 and drawing 2 of the last 12 games. Steve Thompson did an amazing job, but he hadn't signed a contract under Vic Jobson and was poached by Notts County. One of Vic's biggest mistakes not sort him a good contract at the end of the season. Instead we got Ronnie Whelan who cost an absolute fortune all in as player/Manager, and we were relegated in his second season.
Here is the start of the home form revival against Luton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3ANbkS_6jc

I heard differently from Steve Thompson himself. He said his partner was seriously ill and he had to move back up North.

I heard differently from Steve Thompson himself. He said his partner was seriously ill and he had to move back up North.

I heard the same, but the miserly contract Vic offered made up his mind. I read somewhere that if the contract was good he would have moved his partner down here.

9th November 1991 v Swindon. Unusual one this because you have a radio report first, then the goals at 1.10. Also includes a brilliant goal from Brett Angel, and a penalty miss that made it 8 out of the last 9 penalties missed. That has to be a record for all clubs.

Last edited:
3rd March 1990 v Carlisle. Part 1 and part 2 this one.
Unusual because Guy Butters scores two goals and Carlisle get two men sent off. A very poor crowd of 3465 for this one, considering it was near the end of the season and we ended up getting promoted in 3rd place.

Last edited:
Thanks to Peter Miles and The Seventies North Bank for the information - I thought it deserved a table.

PlayerMatchGoalsDate
Lot JonesWales v Ireland14/02/1920
Lot JonesWales v England15/03/1920
Jimmy EvansWales v Scotland04/02/1922
Jimmy EvansWales v England13/03/1922
Jimmy EvansWales v Ireland01/04/1922
Jimmy EvansWales v Scotland17/03/1923
Charlie TurnerIreland v Switzerland17/03/1936
Charlie TurnerIreland v Germany17/10/1936
Charlie TurnerIreland v Hungary06/12/1936
Charlie TurnerIreland v Switzerland17/05/1937
Charlie TurnerIreland v France23/05/1937
Charlie TurnerIreland v Norway10/10/1937
George McKenzieIreland v Norway10/10/1937
Charlie TurnerIreland v Norway07/11/1937
George McKenzieIreland v Norway07/11/1937
George McKenzieIreland v Czechoslovakia18/05/1938
George McKenzieIreland v Poland22/05/1938
George McKenzieIreland v Switzerland18/09/1938
George McKenzieIreland v Poland13/11/1938
George McKenzieIreland v Hungary19/03/1939
George McKenzieIreland v Hungary18/05/1939
George McKenzieIreland v Germany23/05/1939
Jimmy McAlindenN.Ireland v England09/10/1948
Tommy ScannellIreland v Luxembourg07/03/1954
Sam McCroryN.Ireland v England106/11/1957
Derek SpenceN.Ireland v Israel (s)26/03/1980
Derek SpenceN.Ireland v Australia (s)15/06/1980
Derek SpenceN.Ireland v Scotland (s)25/03/1981
Derek SpenceN.Ireland v Sweden (s)03/06/1981
Derek SpenceN.Ireland v France (s)24/03/1982
Ronnie WhelanIreland v Liechtenstein03/06/1995
Ronnie WhelanIreland v Austria11/06/1995
Mike LapperUnited States v Columbia22/07/1995
Mike LapperUnited States v Sweden16/08/1995
Tesfaye BrambleMontserrat v St Kitts& Nevis111/04/2005
Jamal Campbell-RyceJamaica v Canada04/09/2006
Jamal Campbell-RyceJamaica v Canada08/10/2006
Jamal Campbell-RyceJamaica v Peru15/11/2006
Peggy LokandoDR Congo v Gabon25/03/2008
Anthony StrakerGrenada v French Guiana14/11/2012
Anthony StrakerGrenada v Guyana16/11/2012
Anthony StrakerGrenada v Haiti18/11/2012
Myles WestonAntigua & Barbuda v Haiti112/11/2014

Thanks for that. Much better.

Tues 6th November 1990, Southend v Aldershot.
Now I wouldn't normally put a full game on here, but as we won 10-1, and Tilly gets a hat-trick, I think it's worth watching. You also get to see four from Brett Angell and one each from Benjy, Ansah and Prior. Yes it was only the Leyland Daf cup, but still very impressive. We went on to beat Reading 4-1 away, and then Maidstone 2-0 and Torquay 7-0 at home before being knocked out by Brentford.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvOsjkKXXwU

I had to work that evening, got home and the then wife told me it was 10-1. I assumed she meant 1-1 or 0-1 !

Further to the table above, my little bit on Lot Jones:

BILLY “LOT” JONES

Lot Jones had signed for Manchester City in 1903, the following year the club was investigated by the Football Association for making additional payments to players, a practice which was illegal but common place. An example was made of Man City the manger banned for life and 17 players were fined and suspended which gave Lot a chance to break into the first team. He stayed with Manchester City till the outbreak of the First World War making 279 appearances and scoring 69 goals.

After the war he signed for Southend and was quite a major signing by manager Mr E Liddell, at a time when the club was in danger of not being resurrected. Jones was capped 20 times by Wales 18 while with Manchester City but two whilst with Southend.

ANOTHER CAP FOR LOT JONES
The Welsh International Selection Committee have again honoured Lot Jones by selecting him for the inside left position in the forthcoming match Ireland v Wales at Belfast on February 16th
From the Southend Standard 29th January 1920

Lot Jones played in the Welsh win over England, and Jimmy Evans the Southend half back was the first reserve, so we nearly had two internationals in the same team.

After only one year we lost his services as below;

Supporters will generally be sorry to hear that Lot Jones will sever his connection with the club at the end of the present season. He has received the appointment of manager of the Aberdare club. He has been a good and loyal servant of the club since last September and has bought honour to Southend by his International caps .
From Southend Standard 22 April 1920

Home International Championship 1919-20
It was the first Tournament since the War and many players had been killed, wounded or retired, the first round of matches both ended in draws. In the second round Scotland and Wales both won, Wales claimed the Tournament when England defeated Scotland 5-4 in an exhausting match. Wales had four points, Scotland and England both finished with three points, Ireland last with only two.

DW.JPG

I hope no one is offended by this photo which I found on another site!
There are a number of Blues connections and a very young world cup winner! I found it when googling my first favourite player. It probably dates from about 1960. He is the second player from the left in the back row. There is a co signing in front of him _ one to the right and another connection on the far right of the front row even though he did not play for us !

Southend v Wolves goals 1996-97 season. Sunday 13th October. The kit was the famous custard splat. We were relegated under Ronnie Whelan. He liked a pint or a lot more. It was one of those useless striker seasons. The top scorer only finished with ten.

Last edited:
THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK; We were relegated under Ronnie Whelan. He liked a pint or a lot more. [url said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb6xsgmAkqs[/url]

I knew the Taxi driver who used to take him back to where he was staying in Shenfield. He had a few stories to tell.

I had to work that evening, got home and the then wife told me it was 10-1. I assumed she meant 1-1 or 0-1 !

At last somebody admitting they weren't at the game! Judging by the amount people that claim they were there, I was a full house!! Well done!

At last somebody admitting they weren't at the game! Judging by the amount people that claim they were there, I was a full house!! Well done!
I was definitely one of the 1281 present-I recall that by far and away the best goal was scored near the end by their sub Dale Banton,ex West Ham!Two rounds later we beat Torquay with 7 second half goals to nil.

Back