• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Of course, this DVD is still available in the Shrimpers Bar before home matches :whistling:

I don't suppose anyone has an image of the program from the match we played against Fiorentina in the Anglo-Italian Cup? My Italian tutor is a Fiorentina fan so that would be interesting to show her.

Been looking for the last hour, can't find an image. Hopefully someone else might have the actual programme, and can very kindly scan some images for you.

I don't suppose anyone has an image of the program from the match we played against Fiorentina in the Anglo-Italian Cup? My Italian tutor is a Fiorentina fan so that would be interesting to show her.

We only played Fiorentina away in the AIC on 12th October 1993. As far as I know Fiorentina did not produce a programme only a teamsheet.

Have you seen these photos of some Southend fans at Fiorentina? - https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=southend+fiorentina

My dad and the rest of the family were there .

Excellent. I bet they said it was a bit special. Just looked it up and Southend won 3-1 with an impressive 17,700 attendance.
We finished 4th that season in Division 3 South, when Division 3 was split into 2 Divisions, North and South.

Last edited:
great thread,great..also tried to buy that shirt,but could not get one anywhere in Southend,,Tried ,then, the biggest sports shop, Southend sports center, they laughed!!!Ended up spending my saved up 5 pounds on an Arsenal shirt,only because i was so gutted i could get our one and wanted then to buy a shirt,so bought that one ,coz i was different than your average red-blue top..Great photos
try a company called TOFFS, think they have the striped shirt on their website

try a company called TOFFS, think they have the striped shirt on their website

They do, but ozzie was talking about buying it back in the day. You had to really search for Southend shirts in those days. The club had nothing to do with them and all the kids in school and parks wore 1st Division (premiership nowadays)stuff.
No internet, no club shop selling them, so demand was low and this made supply low. I ended up getting mine at Chalkwell Sports which used to be opposite Chalkwell park, after phoning loads of sports shops.

Yeah I dislike the ones with yellow on too :omg:

I don't mind the 1999-2000 one tho, it only has a little yellow. A few fans liked the custard splat one 1996-98. I wasn't keen on the all dark blue kits either from 2001. I like nearly every other kit.
As a special retro year kit, we could have our first kit 1906-1914, as our away kit, including that nice crossover stitching and neck collar. Would be great.

They do, but ozzie was talking about buying it back in the day. You had to really search for Southend shirts in those days. The club had nothing to do with them and all the kids in school and parks wore 1st Division (premiership nowadays)stuff.
No internet, no club shop selling them, so demand was low and this made supply low. I ended up getting mine at Chalkwell Sports which used to be opposite Chalkwell park, after phoning loads of sports shops.

I remember my parents trying to get me a Southend shirt for my birthday in the mid-late 1980s. Odd little excuse of a club shop on the opposite side of the road from the ground and there was absolutely nothing doing. Given I was around 7 or 8 at the time I wasn't exactly a niche market but as you say, it was different back then.

Not an official old school Southend shirt, but I bought this from Campo Retro a few months ago - bit of a nod to our 1914-15 shirt and beautiful quality http://www.camporetro.com/Shop-By-C...3368_Centenario-Jersey-Navy-Old-White-LS.html

Yeah, looks great.
Here are all the kits.
http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Southend_United/Southend_United.htm

I personally hated the Blue and Yellow ones. Some great kits there tho. Would be nice to bring one back for the team to wear for one season, for a special retro year.

1984-85 definitely used to be blue and yellow on that website and has only recently changed. Did someone on here suggest the amendment?

Just curious - that site depends a lot on fans suggestion minor changes here and there and 84-85 was the season before I first went so I've no idea what colours we wore.

Billy Best
billybest52-836794.png

Derek Spence
235446.jpg

spence52-875787.png

Dave Smith
235442.jpg

davesmith52-875783.png

Stan Collymore
Stan-Collymore.jpg

Last edited:

wondered where you got that shirt!!!you would think southend sports center would have had it(think it was then in sutton rd???)..but no...dont like the yellow ones either,but quite like the 61-65 shirt..great thread,well done mate:thumbsup:

I had one they were West Bromwich Albion shirts , some one who played for Leigh Town was able to get me one through the club . I have a picture taken about 1970-71 of Leigh Comm football team all wearing the stripe shirts of Southend United , the reason being was that none of us had the same shirts or shorts ,our manager at the time knew someone down the club and was able to get them . I shall try and get the picture put on here this week .

be good if you can Os,love the old photos of the lads from the 70s.Great to see their "mugs" again.Have got up in the loft,somewhere,with my old paper cuttings(of me,if you know what i mean!!!),some paper cutting from the Echo as well,pics of the old North bank-pak...we would remember many "young faces",some from leigh comm..happy days

be good if you can Os,love the old photos of the lads from the 70s.Great to see their "mugs" again.Have got up in the loft,somewhere,with my old paper cuttings(of me,if you know what i mean!!!),some paper cutting from the Echo as well,pics of the old North bank-pak...we would remember many "young faces",some from leigh comm..happy days

Yes please ozzie. Would love to see those pics of the old North Bank, and play spot the face. Carl C was in my class, so I am from that period of Leigh lads.

Back